Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice please about loss of broadband

linda48
Dabbler

Advice please about loss of broadband

Hi!
I joined Plusnet 30 April and set up my technicolour TG582n and everything worked brilliantly for 2 weeks. I lost connection, did all the required stuff like changing filter and connecting to master socket. Had all the tests done remotely by PN for 4 days and then had a visit from BT engineer on the fifth day "due to loss of sync"
He immediately got it connected ok with his magic box and then with my router. Great........for exactly 1 week, when broadband light started flashing all the time again and no connection. Phoned in  on Saturday morning and a fault was raised. This afternoon it suddenly came back on again. This is really good news but I am now worried that it will happen again shortly.
I'm not techy savvy and just don't understand what could have caused this. The engineer said my line was very good.
I would be really grateful for any explanations and advice anyone could offer please. I've regularly read all the forums and am learning such a lot from you all.
Many Thanks
Linda
22 REPLIES 22
Bullet
Grafter

Re: Advice please about loss of broadband

Welcome, the good news is that you will get lots and lots of help from the forum
If you can provide some or all of the following that will help
Results of a BT speedtest http://www.speedtester.bt.com/
Your current line speed from https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed  (login required)
The ADSL Line stats from your modem/router, see http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php for help in getting these
Can you hear any crackling noises on your line when using the phone? and who do you pay line rental to?
Using the exchange checker http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/  please copy and paste the current status
The ADSL line stats usually reveal quite a lot combined with the other data...
linda48
Dabbler

Thanks Bullet
I will certainly post results but I'm a bit slow!!
Linda
linda48
Dabbler

Hi Bullet
I'm sorry if there's loads of stuff that isn't needed but hope it's of some use!
My phone has never had any problems - no crackling etc.
Thanks so much for any advice
Regards
Linda
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Uptime: 0 days, 0:35:44
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 13.391
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 2,65 / 31,55
1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download  Speed  11.16 Mbps

0 Mbps 21 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 11.16 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 11.81 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.
Upload Speed
0.33 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.45 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.33Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.45 Mbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.

Please visit FAQ section if you are unable To understand the test results.

Exchange Status Checker
Results: Bordon
Code: THBR
County: Hampshire
Enabled: 22 May 2002
Market: 3
VP capacity at this exchange is currently showing as Green.
Click here for further details
BT have advised that this exchange is enabled for WBC on 21CN
Dick:green Post tidied up.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Woops  Lips_are_sealed
We've got a lot of blank space there  Wink
With the 582n stats you need to click on the View More, see http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/technicolor-582n-faqs-and-troubleshooting.shtml#lineS... for guidance, then just do a copy and paste by highlighting with your cursor, right click copy, then paste here in the post.
With the BT Speedtester results you can do the same but no need to copy all the notes at the end.
With the exchange status, again you can do the same, it's usually just the VP status that is of interest.
The only snag was the link to the Current Line speed it unfortunately got shortened when it was pasted it should read https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed ; (and a login is required). Just paste the Current Line speed, not the personal information eg. phonenumber.
Apart from current line speed, which you need to do,. can you click the View More and copy & paste the 582n stats which will include data about attenuation and errors.  All the rest we can manage to dis-cipher so don't worry about it again.
Hope that helps.
linda48
Dabbler

Hi
So sorry about that and hope I learn fast!
Here's info
Current line speed: 12.2 Mb
Uptime: 0 days, 1:38:56
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 13.391
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 4,54 / 40,86
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11,8 / 20,8
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 16,1 / 32,0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 20,9 / 6,0
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 73 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 28 / 107
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 15 / 1.507
dick:green Post tidied up.
Bullet
Grafter

The blank space completely foxed me!
Linda, take your time, as Anotherone has said the router stats in a nice compressed format would be nice.
(View More and copy & paste the 582n stats which will include data about attenuation and errors), if there are lots of carriage returns you could edit these out by pasting into notepad first) - looks like I was a bit too slow...
linda48
Dabbler

Thanks for being so patient. I felt so stupid when I saw the huge gaps and didn't know how to edit them out!
Anotherone
Champion

No problem, you take as long as you need. If you use the Preview button you can see what it would look like before you post it (apart from the line lengths being slightly different, but don't worry about that.
linda48
Dabbler

Is this right?
Do hope so
Primary DNS:
Secondary DNS:
Uptime:
0 days, 2:19:14
DSL Type:
ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:
448 / 13.391
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]:
6,19 / 48,34
dick:green Excess space removed.
linda48
Dabbler

Broadband went off again at 11pm for about 3 hours.
I'm at my wits end now.
GrahamC
Grafter

This week may not be the best time for overnight connections and connection diagnosis.
Service Status:
http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1338213249.htm
Anotherone
Champion

Hi Linda,
Can we clarify, when the broadband went off last night, did the "Broadband light" on the modem/router go out or was it just the "Internet light" ?
With regards to the stats and the other information -
The top part of the layout in your reply #9 was right but it still had lots of space at the end, but never mind. You had the contents from the stats right in reply #5 it was only all the spaces that was a problem.
Not to worry about it, all the information is there and there's nothing in the data that would specificallly indicate why you lost connection for several days.
Your connection speed looks fairly typical for a line of that attenuation, and so your line is potentially good.
I say "potentially" because there is obviously some problem. The only thing in the stats I could see was the errors seemed higher than I would have expected for the uptime. Had you just rebooted the modem/router before your first post, or just turned it on?
Can you hear any crackling or other noises on the line when using your phone?
Whenever you see this reply, can you have another go at posting the current modem/router stats (similar to reply #5). We don't need any of the other information at the moment.
When you have the stats visible in your browser, move your mouse so the cursor is at the start of the word 'Uptime' then hold the LH mouse button down whilst you drag it down to the end of the errors listed in the stats., then release the button. All the stats should now be highlighted. With the cursor in the highlighted area, right click and select copy from the drop down list. Come to the post on another tab, right click and select paste. Check by selecting 'Preview' below the reply box that it is looking OK (in the upper box), making any further edits in the lower box.
Hope that helps.
linda48
Dabbler

Hi Anotherone
Many thanks.
When I sent those stats the B.Band had only just come back on.
It's the Broadband light that keeps flashing when I loose connection.
The phone  never crackles etc.
I have taken more stats as you described but haven't included them as I can't get rid of the huge gaps
Embarrassed
Regards Linda
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi linda48,
I'm just wondering if the long periods of time on the graph are you switching the router off while you're not using it. Can you tell me if you're using any extension cables/sockets? Do you have a test socket you can plug into?
Jojo Smiley