cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice please : Switch from PAYG to Option 1

Wheel_nut
Grafter

Re: Advice please : Switch from PAYG to Option 1

I am not aware of a Legacy £9-99 PayG Product. PlusNet's PayG was £14-99 with 2GB included usage.
AFAIK, all Plusnet's products other than the £14-99 PayG Products have always been shaped.
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
BB Basic, the product I think you're referring to, was a predecessor to BBYW Option 1. Looking at the account associated with your name doesn't support this though?
We made the decision to email all BB Basic customers, and change their product, a couple of months ago for various reasons. If you'd like to let me know the username of the account I can check whether you were on the list of users for you.
In terms of the change, you now get more than double your previous allowance, free email, domain hosting, webspace and all the usual extras for the same price.
Spider
Grafter

But how does the traffic shaping compare to the customers previous product?
MrToast
Grafter

Quote from: Mand
We made the decision to email all BB Basic customers, and change their product, a couple of months ago for various reasons.

I never received any notice and so raised a ticket to complain when I discovered the change Thursday.
In terms of the change, you now get more than double your previous allowance, free email, domain hosting, webspace and all the usual extras for the same price.

But you don't get the same traffic profiling. I call this is a downgrade.
naleksander
Dabbler

Me too - I was never notified of this change until after it happened.  Again, as with the previous post - I suffer from the traffic shaping, in particular I can no longer use VPN.  I too have raised a ticket.  I have two PlusNet accounts, one for my main home and one for a holiday flat (Mand - the account there is colmerhouse).  BB Basic is the right product for my holiday flat, and the change to BBYW Option 1 is unwelcome.
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
AFAIK the BB Basic product is no longer available at all (some of the older products are but this one was to be removed entirely IIRC).
I'll need to catch up with the products team on Monday and see what we can do for customers who want the low allowance without any management but off the top of my head it's probably going to be a Metronet product that suits your needs best (this is unmanaged upto your ceiling limit).
naleksander
Dabbler

Mand
I suspect I will be forced to migrate to Metronet for the holiday flat, and having to change the configuration of the router will be a minor annoyance.  But what really irritates me is the way this was done - without any notice (until after it had happened).  PlusNet has had some ups and downs, and communications with customers has been slowly improving - but did no one think to notify us in advance of this change?  The T&C's require at least 30 days notice
Mand
Grafter

I personally sent the email, and believed that the data we used incorporated all of the BB Basic customers. Obviously this was not the case and I will be investigating this on Monday.
Which aspect of Option 1 is not suitable? I appreciate that this is a little more managed than the previous product, but this will only affect low priority protocols such as p2p/Usenet, as HTTP, email, VoIP and gaming are all in titanium on the Option 1 product. VPN is rate limited, but should still be usable.
naleksander
Dabbler

Neither Mr Toast nor I received your e-mail ...
My concern is VPN - and the publicity for BBYN Option 1 has a big red X against VPN - so I assumed that it was blocked - I won't actually be able to check until I'm next at the holiday flat (which will probably not be for a while).  What is the rate limit that is set for VPN?
MrToast
Grafter

Which aspect of Option 1 is not suitable? I appreciate that this is a little more managed than the previous product...

Stop digging.... you are not making this any better!!
To say BBYW is a 'little more managed' is way off the mark! Its all depends on the usage thats being made. In fact you then go on to list the changes. Why do you assume that some protocols are of low value? You shouldn't be 'guessing' the value judgements made by customers who have made a product choice and with whom this has not been discussed or notified.
As stated elsewhere I have raised a ticket.
Mand
Grafter

Hi,
I don't profess to know what value is placed on what protocol by each customer, and apologies if my post came across that way.
It was more of a question than a statement, when I speak to the products team on Monday I need to explain exactly why there is such a problem with this.
As I said I will be investigating the recipients of the email, as I thought this had gone out to every BB Basic customer, but I need to be in the office to do that and I'm not at the moment.
pcoventry76
Grafter

Quote from: MrToast
Which aspect of Option 1 is not suitable? I appreciate that this is a little more managed than the previous product...

Stop digging.... you are not making this any better!!
To say BBYW is a 'little more managed' is way off the mark! Its all depends on the usage thats being made. In fact you then go on to list the changes. Why do you assume that some protocols are of low value? You shouldn't be 'guessing' the value judgements made by customers who have made a product choice and with whom this has not been discussed or notified.
As stated elsewhere I have raised a ticket.

is cost the issue or the management? if it's not cost then consider PRO which is £19,99 gies 10GB and has no management whatsoever
Spider
Grafter

Which aspect of Option 1 is not suitable? I appreciate that this is a little more managed than the previous product, but this will only affect low priority protocols such as p2p/Usenet, as HTTP, email, VoIP and gaming are all in titanium on the Option 1 product. VPN is rate limited, but should still be usable.

This contradicts what you publicise on your own website here:
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/quality_broadband/traffic_prioritisation.shtml?link_bbyw_view3...
Mand
Grafter

The site is correct, my apologies.
In reality gold and titanium should both perform very well at all times.
naleksander
Dabbler

How does bronze perform? (VPN is allocated to the bronze stream)?  You also stated that VPN was rate limited - to what extent?
Thanks