cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice needed re email access

njek

Advice needed re email access

I currently access all my email, for which I have a default PlusNet email address, through Outlook.  Next month I will be moving in with my Dad for a period of 6 months.  He is also a PlusNet user.  However, I know that it will not be possible to (directly through Outlook) access my PlusNet email through his connection.  I therefore need to formulate a plan to deal with the inevitable problem this will cause.
I also run a secondary Windows Live Mail email address, again accessed through Outlook, which I would like to slowly migrate all my email usage across to.
The natural assumption on my part was that I would be able to redirect all my PlusNet email to my Windows Live Mail address.  However, I have just found out this is not possible, as I cannot set up a redirect on an existing mailbox.
If I was to delete my current mailbox, could I then set up that old address as a redirect?  (i.e. my current address is nik@USERNAME.plus.com - could I delete the 'nik' mailbox and then set up a redirection so that all email sent to nik@USERNAME.plus.com would redirect to my specified Windows Live Mail address?)
Can anyone think of a better way of achieving what I'm trying to do?
3 REPLIES 3
ChrisL
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Advice needed re email access

While you're at your Dad's, you could log in to Webmail to deal with your email -- anything you needed to download could be forwarded to your LiveMail (or whatever) address for collection by your email client. (You might even be able to set up a rule to forward all your mail this way -- I just don't  know whether SquirrelMail allows this....)
I think your suggestion for redirecting to LiveMail or whatever would work.  1/ Set up a new default mailbox (such as postmaster@username); 2/ check that your catch-all is on (so that mail to nik@username etc will go to this default when you delete the existing mailbox); 3/ delete the "nik" mailbox; 4/ set up a redirect for nik@username to your other address (LiveMail or whatever).
HTH
Chris
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you should be able to collect your mail via outlook, I collect mine with no problems via various ISPs at hotels etc all over the UK and Eire, you dont have to log in with your Dads user name, he controls the line, but you can log in with any username you want
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

@njek, As pierre says , you should be able to collect your email just fine with your current setup, it will just work!!
Normally when connected to a different network than your home one, you would be able to collect mail with your current settings but would have to ( unless using authenticated smtp - but we wont go there !) change your outgoing smtp server from 'relay.plus.net' to the smtp server of the network to which you are connected. In your case since your Dad is also on PlusNet then you shouildn't need to change anything Smiley

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.