cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice for after fibre installation

shantikris
Dabbler

Advice for after fibre installation

I've had my 80/20 FTTC connection installed yesterday and I have to say, I am very pleased! Despite being given an estimated speed of 69mb, I am getting a line speed of 77.4mb  Smiley
My only concern is that DLM may lower my profile during the next 10 days, so I was wondering if anyone can offer advice on how best to maintain my current IP profile. For instance, I know that I shouldn't turn off/reboot my router frequently but is there anything else I should be aware of? I plan on downloading some large files during the next few days to test the real life speed I'll be getting, and I will also be carrying out speed tests in various spots in my house so I get an idea of the wi-fi coverage. Is it fine to do both of these things during the first 10 days after installation?
Thanks in advance for the support!
5 REPLIES 5
xreyuk
Grafter

Re: Advice for after fibre installation

Other than avoiding disconnections, you're at the mercy of interference mostly. There's nothing you can really do.
You may have a higher line speed because the cabinet you are on is pretty empty, once it fills up, you might notice a slight reduction in speeds.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Quote from: shantikris
I know that I shouldn't turn off/reboot my router frequently but is there anything else I should be aware of?

The issue you allude to in regard FTTC is disconnecting the BT modem, not the PlusNet router.  With FTTC, the "training period" is just two days.  Therefore if (for example) you need to relocated / tidy up the modem wires, you would be best leaving this for a few days.
As XreyUK notes, be prepared to see your speed to fall towards the estimate over time as the cabinet fills up.  Indeed it is not unknown for estimates to be decreased where there are particularly poor copper d-sides.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

shantikris
Dabbler

Thanks Xreyuk and Townman for the help!
By disconnecting the BT modem, do you mean the power supply? Fortunately, I haven't done that, but I did disconnect the ethernet cable between the modem and my router (which is an ASUS RT-AC66U I would add) once, is that a problem?
Also, just to clarify, am I fine to download heavy files, setup VPN, play around with the router, etc during the next 2 days without impacting DLM? Sorry, I'm not fully familiar with the technicalities of fibre broadband 😕 I appreciate the help!
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Hi,
Welcome to the forums by the way!!
Worry not about not understanding, that is a key purpose of the forums to help and to educate.  With FTTC the service connects from the phone socket in-built filter to the BT modem (which has its own power supply) then via Ethernet cable to the PlusNet TG (or your own) router.
It is always best to keep both running 24x7 - there is less risk to your service being impacted by the router being cycled (which might be necessary to apply configuration changes) than that which will arise from cycling the modem.
I hope that helps to clarify matters?
Downloads will not be an issue, indeed stressing the line might expose any issues if there are any.  Configuring the router again should not be an issue, but do try to keep it to a minimum and not too many times at once.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

shantikris
Dabbler

That helps a lot, thank you! Happy to be a part of the +net community  Smiley