Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice Needed Please

Woody3600
Grafter

Advice Needed Please

Hi guys,
We are currently on the plusnet premium service which offers an 80mb download limit. However this is proving to not be enough for my needs and i was wondering whether PlusNet offer an unlimited package? Or a higher usage package at all? At the minute we get charged £5 a month for going over the limit, is it a fixed rate charge or should i go over by more would the charge increase?
I have another couple of quiries that may link off from this but could someone please advise me on these things first,
Thanks in advance
Chris
10 REPLIES 10
Epyon
Grafter

Re: Advice Needed Please

No they don't far as i can tell.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it possible for you to schedule some of your broadband usage to occur overnight during the free period, so that it does not come out of your monthly allowance ?
For example - the new BBC iPlayer has a new feature (in "Preferences") to schedule series downloads at different times of day (including 00:00 to 06:59), so you just leave the PC switched on and all your programs download for free overnight.
Woody3600
Grafter

I used to use a LOT of free usage between 12am and 8am but my sleeping schedule has become more normal and im not awake till 4 every night haha The majority of my usage comes via sky player on the Xbox, and with more live TV and youtube coming to Xbox Live, along with the current Sky Player, Last FM and Zune etc, i just don't have enough usage at all.
I was easily using an extra 40mb with just movies on sky player like twice a week. If PlusNet don't do an unlimited package, do they at the minimum do a package that offers more than 80mb a month?
andysen
Grafter

You may want to take a look at their Fibre packages - a quick check will tell you whether your exchange has been enabled for FTTC.
Woody3600
Grafter

We don't have fibre optic cabling here, the fastest speed we can get is 8mb. The local telephone exchange is actually in our estate so we get the quickest possible in our area. The package we're on actually offers up to 20 but obvs we can't get that. It comes into the router downstairs at about 8.24 i think. The quality, after some hiccups about 12 months ago, has been absolutely outstanding. Fantastic for gaming and streaming etc i just need more usage allowance haha
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Woody3600,
Aside from Fibre packages Plusnet Premium has the highest usage allowance.
Jojo Smiley
Woody3600
Grafter

That sucks =/
There is another thing i was wondering though, probably not possible but il ask anyway.
We have been with PlusNet since it was Force9, and therefore the account holders name is a force9 email address, which is used heavily for business use. Would it be possible, seeing as it's not a plusnet email address, to keep that email address active but change ISP? It's a long shot i know but something that would help no end. Even if i paid a fee to keep the account active?
Highly unlikely but the account holder refuses to change ISP if the email account will have to change because he's a stubborn so and so =/ Im trying every other option before i end up having to have a second BT line put in run directly to my room which of course will be silly expensive with installation and line rental on top of any internet provider charge.
Chris
Epyon
Grafter

Plusnet can downgrade you to a free account so i assume you could keep you're email.
Woody3600
Grafter

Can any PlusNet staff help with the second potential solution raised above?
Thanks
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Won't be a problem - just let us know when they've called through to the retentions team and advised, it will be worth him asking for it to be downgraded though if you post here when it's done we'll be able to make sure it happens. Just in case the account is closed accidentally we'd recommend downloading all the email that's there, but it should be downgraded as per the request.
Hope that helps,