cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Admin please check my profile

shadwelllad

Admin please check my profile

Hi,
I am a relatively new user to plusnet having just moved back into a flat I used to live in 4 years ago. Then I was using BE and getting great speeds.
Initially with plusnet my modem connected at approx 16000 Kbps but a couple of weeks ago I moved it and it was connecting at approx 2500 Kbps. Now I have moved it back to its original location 10 days ago and it connects at 7495 Kbps. My BT test tells me that the IP Profile for my line is - 6612 Kbps however I should be able to achieve ADSL2+ speeds of approx 15Mbps and this is consistent with what I originally had.
Could an admin please check my profile to see if my initial connection speed can be restored?
Thank You!
10 REPLIES 10
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Admin please check my profile

It's probable that the messing about has raised your target noise margin. Can you post your router stats showing attenuation, sync speed and noise margin please.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi shadwelllad,
I've just run a line test and the line profile is correct for the sync speed of 7495kbps as you mention. The downstream attentuation of 14.5db doesn't concern me too much either. However if you have experienced better in the past do use our fault checker: https://portal.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults even if we don't identify a fault with our suppliers it should guide you through some further diagnostics.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
jelv
Seasoned Hero

What was the noise margin Adam? With an attenuation of 14.5 he should be syncing well over 20mbps
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The SNR is looking pretty high at over 14db and there is no banding applied.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: shadwelllad
Initially with plusnet my modem connected at approx 16000 Kbps but a couple of weeks ago I moved it and it was connecting at approx 2500 Kbps. Now I have moved it back to its original location 10 days ago and it connects at 7495 Kbps.

Looks like the target was put up to 15 when he moved it. If it's now showing a stable connection since he moved it back wouldn't a reset be in order?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

If it's now showing a stable connection since he moved it back wouldn't a reset be in order?

Yep, however the line isn't quite as stable as it could be. There is a 1 day session ongoing, however prior to that the sessions were only a couple of hours at a time.
I'd like to see some more stability prior to an SNR reset, hence Adam's request for a fault to be raised so we can take a look further.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

shadwelllad
What Chris has just posted means that you should leave your router on 24 x 7 and do not do any disconnects or reboots. In a couple of days time ask again for the reset and if it has been stable for all that time they will do the reset.
shadwelllad

Thank you all for the advice. I'll leave the router alone connected to the master socket to try and get the synch speed up.
Bad news is that I've come back this evening to find that my downstream speed is 927Kbps, noise margin has gone up to 30.0 even though I haven't done anything! Doing another speed test the IP profile has dropped to 817Kbps. Not great.....
I've submitted a request for a fault to be raised.
Thank you again for the advice, hopefully this will all get resolved!

shadwelllad

Not sure if something has been reset but I just lost my connection and am now showing the below in my router status page. Sudden jump in speed!

Downstream  Data rate (Kbps) 10307
Noise margin (dB) 5.9
Output power (dBm) 0.0
Attenuation (dB) 14.5
shadwelllad

And now I am synching at 3947Kbps again.....  Sad