cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Actual speed on ADSL2+

simonR
Dabbler

Actual speed on ADSL2+

I was eventually connected to ADSL2+ (Plusnet Pro) after a few problems about a month ago.
Since then I've seen the down synch hover around the 17400 mark and up synch around 1200...so far so good.
However doing the speed test I see that my actual download speed remains stuck at just below 6000kbps. The upload speed has however gone up to just over 1000kbps.
Pre ADSL2+ I was getting download speeds of just below 6000 and upload speeds of 380kbps.
Why has the upload speed changed and not the download speed?
5 REPLIES 5
simonR
Dabbler

Re: Actual speed on ADSL2+

Just checked the BT speed test and my profile is set to 6500... how can this be with a stable sync speed of 17000?
How can I get this changed?
jswift909
Grafter

See my post http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,84423.0.html
If you reboot your router lots of times, or your line drops due to noise, the BT exchange lowers the threshold to create a stable line.  It will lower it quickly, but may take a long time to increase it upwards.  Some profiles also get stuck at the BT end and need a kick from PlusNet.  PlusNet can also amend your SNR margin to increase speed.  Watch out tho, as your upstream might get lowered.  I had a ticket open with PlusNet for this - if you want more info email me.  You have a fabulous download speed but need to keep your router on (stable) and avoid reboots for a week or so, or you can ask PlusNet to reset the BT end.  But you may have to push to get them to reset it - and only the UK tech support appear to be able to do this.
have fun Simon.    Wink
simonR
Dabbler

My router hadn't been re-booted for over 2 weeks ( i was abroad on work) and yet nothing changed .
Reading other posts, it seems that the powers that be are remarkably reluctant to change anything. I think its about time I changed ISP, if youl'd only seen the problems I've had getting ASDL2+ sync connection, let alone a speed correction.
Someting is seriously wrong with customer service at both Plusnet and BT. We shouldn't have to wait over 2 months to get the service we pay for.
There seems to be a consistent message across these forums, its just being ignored.
Any suggestions for an ISP change, its a pity my area  doesn't have cable....
simonR
Dabbler

By the way, for those who collect such data, here are my current stats (netgear DG834GT, (DGTeam Rev. 0848, not the very latest, as it failed loading from my Linux machine)
System Up Time 25:06:05
Port Status           TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s           Rx B/s             Up Time
WAN PPPoA           424396 613604         0           1237           13272               14:29:03
LAN 10M/100M 1047303 1062104 0           2671             4093                25:06:01
WLAN 11M/54M 4970805 4781169 0           15098             5821          25:05:56
ADSL Link                       Downstream      Upstream
Connection Speed       17423 kbps         1204 kbps
Line Attenuation                   26.5 db         13.4 db
Noise Margin                     3.1 db           6.4 db
As previously stated this is a very stable connection (connection speed has never dropped below 17000 and noise margin varies up to approx 6dB)
matt_2k34
Grafter

Someting is seriously wrong with customer service at both Plusnet and BT.

Dont shoot plusnet for BTs failings Smiley
Problem is once a profile is set at the exchange, it can take several hours (normally 3 days) to update. it appears that this hasnt happened,
As with everything, adsl2 is still new, and as kinks get worked out-  things improve. PN could force a profile reset on ADSL, but im not sure if this is possible on ADSL2 (its down to BT creating / giving out the tools to do such a thing)
if the router has been on for two weeks solid, giving it a reboot wont harm anything (it may also kick the profile to get increased, but dont hold your breath) - and obviously, dont do this too often Smiley
Best thing you can do is raise a ticket or wait for one of the PN bods to answer here Smiley

And in regards to changing ISP: if its 'that' drastic you want to do such a thing, the only one i would even consider moving to myself is Be*.