cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Actual download speed significantly lower than expected - new broadband customer

fourtracker80
Grafter

Actual download speed significantly lower than expected - new broadband customer

Hi
we had our broadband activated yesterday morning and have noticed a huge difference in the speed we were expecting compared to what we were told the line would handle. This is what the BTW Performance site said when I did a check last night. This is pretty new to me but it seems to indicate the max we can expect is 0.37Mbps.
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.1 Mbps-0.5 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 0.37 Mbps
Is this a fault with the line, something I'm doing wrong, something that will improve over time (hopefully not too long!) or were we mis-sold on what we could expect?
I've read a lot of good things about Plusnet, so I'm hoping it's just teething problems with our line.
Many thanks
Mark
5 REPLIES 5
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Actual download speed significantly lower than expected - new broadband customer

Hi there,
I'd expect a bit more than that to be honest... is the router plugged into the master socket, and are all other items plugged in done so through a microfilter? If not, please try that and check the sync rate in the router's config pages and let us know what it says there.
fourtracker80
Grafter

Re: Actual download speed significantly lower than expected - new broadband customer

Thanks Matt, I'm at work but will check this over the weekend and get back with those numbers.
We've just moved in recently but the previous tenant was with BT using the same connection and said he had no problems, so fingers crossed it's easy enough to sort.
fourtracker80
Grafter

Quote from: Matt
Hi there,
I'd expect a bit more than that to be honest... is the router plugged into the master socket, and are all other items plugged in done so through a microfilter? If not, please try that and check the sync rate in the router's config pages and let us know what it says there.

Hi Matt
I've now plugged directly into the master socket and the difference is huge. Now at around 13-14 Mbps, which is much more what I was hoping for.  However going in the normal socket is still 0.4Mbps as before.
I'm not sure where to find the sync rate in the router configuration though. It's a Technicolor TG582n.
So does this sound like a fault with the socket/wiring? There are a bunch of other phone sockets in the flat but none of the others seem to be working, just the relatively new looking bt-openzone branded one in the bedroom that I'm using now. I'm happy to just use the master socket if that's going to give me the speed I'm after, just a bit odd.
Thanks again for your help
Mark
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The full TG582n router stats can be displayed by going to Broadband Connection -> DSL Connection then Details (top right). The direct link is http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/dsl/dt/?be=0&l0=2&l1=0.
If you want to include them in a post click to the left of Uptime, drag to the end of the HEC Errors line, copy and paste into your post.
David
David
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi fourtracker80,
Can't add any more info to what spraxyt has posted regarding the router's stats, but if the speed changes that much between extension socket and master then the internal wiring is definitely not what it could be. I'd recommend (if possible) leaving the router in the master socket and using either ethernet cable or powerline adapters to share the broadband around the premises - that way you'll not have to worry about the extension wiring.
Otherwise, just make sure the ring wire is removed as per http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm - I believe it's only wires in ports 2 and 5 that need to stay connected, the others can be removed. If that makes no difference to the speed in the extension socket then chances are the extension will need rewiring (ideally with twisted pair cable rather than flat to reduce interference).
Hope that helps explain.