cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Actual download speed only 12.5% of BT or Plusnet Test Figures

TheProfessor
Grafter

Actual download speed only 12.5% of BT or Plusnet Test Figures

Hi all, I am new to this forum and any/all help would be appreciated.
Although I am a retired lecturer in electrical and electronics engineering, comm's was not my area.
I have copper cable broadband whose original estimated download speed was 6 Mb/s.  After 2 weeks the test figure of 0.2Mb/s came through.  I ran the Plusnet test and a figure of around 180kb/s was displayed before it stopped and gave an "upload test returned an error".  The more reliable BT test completed successfully and returned figures of: download = 180 kb/s and upload = 340 kb/s.  However, whilst downloading files I see a figure of around 25 kb/s (around 0.4% of the original figure and 12.5% of test figures).   
My router is a Netgear DGND3700V2 and is displaying the following stat's:
Sync' = 283/444 kb/s (download/upload)
Attenuation = 48.5/30.3 dB* (download/upload)
SNR = 7/26.5 dB* (download/upload)
*Do these figures seem high to you?  Additional:  I turn the router off after I have used it.  I have seen comments that suggest leaving it turned on 24/7 will make a difference.  How much of a difference does it usually make?  Would it be enough to close the gap significantly?
Much obliged, in anticipation.
The Professor.
16 REPLIES 16
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Actual download speed only 12.5% of BT or Plusnet Test Figures

There is a major problem
First are all the devices you have connected to your phone line filtered including phones. sky box, fax , etc.
If they aren't remove or filter all of them then disconnect the router from the phone line and reconnect then report the stats
If they are then can you connect the router to the test socket - behind the lower removable part of the master socket
Then report the stats again
TheProfessor
Grafter

Hi, Oldjim.
The only unit that is not connected via a filter is a wired phone in the front room.  I will buy a filter this week and do as you suggest (disconnect the router and reconnect).  In the mean time, what can you tell me about the effect of leaving the router on?  Any figures on the improvement in download speed?  I have left it on for nearly 24 hours so far with no noticeable change.
Thank you.
jim:quote
Oldjim
Resting Legend

While the phone is connected you won't see any change
If you remove the phone until you get a filter then you should get speeds of about 4.5 - 5Mb
You should have received two filters with the router - can't you use one of them for the phone
Once the phone is filtered then report the stats again and don't switch the router off
If the system hasn't jumped all over the horrible speeds they may well increase but it may have decided that the line needs banding and in this case a reset and retrain will be needed which Plusnet can arrange
TheProfessor
Grafter

Hi, Oldjim.
As you suggested, I have tried the following:  The router was left powered on for 3 days, I disconnected the other 2 phones leaving just the router and 1 phone connected to the same filter (incidently, only 1 filter came with the Netgear router that I have).  I then disconnected the router from the line (removed the Ethernet plug from the socket) and reconnected.  I checked the router stat's which were unchanged apart from a 4dB increase in the noise margin up to 11.1dB.  I reran the BT speed test with no significant change to download, upload or ping latency.  On attempting a download that started at approximately 200kb/s it dropped to back around 20kb/s in about 3 seconds.
I was going to include screen shots of the data but I am unable to "insert image" for some reason.
Any other suggestions, please?
Thanks.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

You don't need to include screen shots
Just provide the attenuation, noise margin speeds from the router
Regarding the BT speed test
You need to do the further diagnostics and report the IP profile as well as the speeds
Also report the Current Line Speed from https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
I am not sure what you mean by insert image
If you want to insert it in the post it needs to be hosted somewhere but the easier way is to click on Additional Options and attach the picture
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The line is currently banded in the lowest band, but now seems pretty stable. I'm going to request the banding is removed from your line and we'll take it from there.
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/broadband_terminology.shtml#bandedProfiles
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend

OK, the banding should now have been removed. If you log in to your router and do a single disconnect/reconnect I'm hoping you see a speed increase.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
TheProfessor
Grafter

Hi, Oldjim.
The figures the you mentioned were included in the original post but it looks as though Chris from Plusnet has picked up on this thread.  I assume that it is now in the hands of Chris.  The "insert image" comment was because I clicked on the "insert image" icon above the smileys in the reply section but I could not "paste" the image in.  I have tried your suggestion instead.
The Professor.
TheProfessor
Grafter

OK, Chris I am about to carry out the manual "disconnect & connect".  I will then run through the speed tests and get back to you.
Chris
Legend

If it's still slower then I'd suggest running through the faults checker at https://faults.plus.net and this'll go through to our faults team for further investigation.
TheProfessor
Grafter

Hi, Chris.
The figure has improved quite significantly.  I have included a screen shot to compare with the previous speed test screenshot included above.
Original BT download figure was 180kb/s now it is showing as 3,850kb/s.
The original Netgear sync speed was 283kb/s now it is showing 4731kb/s for download. 
I will carry out a download and see what I actually get.
The Prof'.
TheProfessor
Grafter

Hi, Chris.
I am in the process of downloading and I can see the download speed fluctuating between 250kb/s and 450kb/s.  A tenfold+ improvement but is it as much as you expected?

gnicholson8
Grafter

Thats a great improvement and what you should have.
In reference to your downloads I will just explain so you don't get confused and I am not trying to seem rude but..
your sync of "4731" is kb/s (kilobits per second) but any download will be at a speed of kB/s (kilobytes per second)
There are 8 kilobits in 1 kilobyte so a theorectical maximum download speed of your line is 4731 divided by 8 to give the kilobyte per second (which downloads are measured in) is a maximum speed of 591 Kilobytes per second however this is never obtainable so it will probably be around 480-500Kilobytes per second or kB/s.
TheProfessor
Grafter

Ah, yes, I should be embarrassed.  As a retired lecturer in electronic & electrical engineering, I should have known the difference between b & B.
No offence taken and thanks for your help, Chris.
Thank you too, Oldjim.
TheProf'.