Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Acer Chromebook used to connect but now only for a few seconds

FIXED
ehendry
Hooked

Acer Chromebook used to connect but now only for a few seconds

My Acer Chromebook has worked happily with the router for a couple of years until very recently when the internet connection would be lost for two or three minutes about once an hour.  Suddenly the connection has grown much worse, the lights on the router keep turning off then slowly switching on again, but only allows internet connection for a few seconds before switching off again.   I'm using an old worn out Microsoft laptop (kept for emergencies) to type this.  The router seems fine with  this machine, so it is only a problem affecting the Chromebook.

19 REPLIES 19
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Acer Chromebook used to connect but now only for a few seconds

Thanks for getting in touch @ehendry I'm sorry to see you're experiencing connection problems with your Chromebook.

We're definitely seeing your connection dropping as shown by the graph below, but it's odd that it doesn't seem to be affecting your Microsoft laptop. I'd suspect it's either the Chromebook triggering the drops or perhaps co-incidence.

Do the drops shown below roughly match up to when you use/don't use your Chromebook?

image15717500819710

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's note(s):

Thread moved from Everything Else to ADSL Broadband.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

ehendry
Hooked

Thanks for your reply.  I think you are right - it seems to be the Chromebook that is triggering it.  As soon as I start the computer, the internet, broadband and wireless lights on the router go out and even the power button flickers off briefly sometimes.  The lights come on again eventually but as soon as the Chromebook makes contact with PlusNet and goes online, the lights go out and the process begins again.  I note that in the computer settings the Wifi button is on, if that is any help, and it does recognise PlusNet and try to make contact but with only the briefest success.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to us @ehendry 

Yeah it does look that way unfortunately, it may be worth keeping your Chromebook disconnected for a few days and post back and we'll be happy to check your connection again to see the drops have stopped.

There's also a possibility the issue may be the router although it could be doubtful given that the problem seems to be only happening oddly on one device.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ehendry
Hooked

I switched the Chromebook off on Tuesday and have only just switched it back on again now.   The router has been working with the old Microsoft machine but is now switching off again repeatedly when the Chromebook is on.  

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @ehendry, thanks for the update.

We'd now recommend speaking with the manufacturer - it may be that there's a patch or something along those lines they can apply without you needing to replace the machine itself at considerable expense to yourself.

Let us all know how you get on.

ehendry
Hooked

Thanks.  I will see what I can do.

ehendry
Hooked

Another note - I have just discovered that the Chromebook will work with the residents' wifi in the flats where I live, but only available in the public area here.  It only has problems with PlusNet.  Could it be the router which is causing the difficulty after all?  

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

Thanks for getting back to us @ehendry 

It does sound like the problem may be your router in that case. I've arranged to send you a new router which you should receive next week. Let us know how it goes once you've got it. 

I hope this helps. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ehendry
Hooked

Many thanks.  

ehendry
Hooked

Thank you for the new router.  It arrived yesterday and, apart from a short period this afternoon when it was slow to connect, it seems to be fine.  I don't know how it seems from your end, but hopefully the problem has been resolved now.  Thanks.

Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): The fix has been changed to @Gandalf as per message #10.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me @ehendry 

I’m happy to see this has turned out to be a faulty router (As opposed to a faulty Chromebook!) and the problem has been resolved now. 👍

Feel feel to let me know if the issues return or if there’s anything else you’d need help with. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Ridethesplit
Grafter

Hello,

I am having exactly the same issues with my sons Asus chromebook and our plusnet router.

How can I go about sorting a fix?

thanks