cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessing work PC using RDP through VPN problems...

Mand
Grafter

Re: Accessing work PC using RDP through VPN problems...

I'd be interested to know whether you still have the problem with the Thomson up and running.
karatemonkey

Thomson router is setup and all is working fine.  I did have to change the channel to 11 though or my laptop wouldn't even see the SSID.
Thanks for everyones help  Cool
Quick question though re the thomson router.  There doesn't seem to be a Save All option anywhere. Do the changes just persist once applied?  Just that I had to go back in and change the channel because it reverted back to 1.
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

This is now very puzzling  Shocked
I normally use a Netgear DG834 V4 router.  I find it easy to set up for OpenDNS, mac address reservation etc
I also have a PlusNet supplied Thomson TG585 - which is NOT easy to set up for anything different to that defined by PlusNet.
BUT, it is possible to use the TG585 CLI to configure ethernet port mirroring, so using the TG585 I managed to capture traffic from a company laptop equipped with Cisco VPN  using wireshark on my desktop PC.
During the capture all the VPN traffic was correctly classified as being in the gold queue (0x80) and the VPN was fast and worked very well using the TG585 Smiley
However, reverting back the DG834 VPN also reverted to working very slowly Sad
Any advice would be welcome!
Richard
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Try changing the MTU size to 1500 (it's on the WAN setup page on a DG834).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
chipshopman

I have a similar problem, I'm a recent joiner to Plusnet, but since joining I've been unable to use my work VPN - Juniper client using https on my laptop.
The Juniper client logs in and attaches to my work network just fine, but after that Outlook is unable to connect properly to the Exchange server.
Pinging the Exchange server by name and IP address works fine, but Outlook will not work online - no emails, no nothing.
Very little has changed on my end since the migration to Plusnet so I have to conclude that there is a problem somewhere with my broadband connection.
My ADSL modem goes straight through to my physical firewall (IPCop) which then goes on to my home switch. The only thing I guess I have changed is my MTU, from 1500 to 1480 because I was unable to access a number of websites and speed was abysmal post switch, since changing to 1480, these problems have gone away.
My own network team at work are at a loss to explain what might be the problem, so any help greatly appreciated.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Although I'm using Juniper, I don't use Outlook on my local machine for work so I can't help (I either use OWA or run Outlook on the RDP I'm in most of the time).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
RichardB
Seasoned Champion

Quote from: jelv
Try changing the MTU size to 1500 (it's on the WAN setup page on a DG834).

I tried setting the MTU to 1500 (it was on 1458 ). No increase in VPN throughput speed observed.
Perhaps I should have re-booted the router?
I also tried adding a firewall rule to allow all in bound traffic to acces the VPN PC.
In effect turning off the DG834 firewall - for that LAN client. Still no increase in VPN throughput speed observed!
Very confusing!
Richard
RichardB
Seasoned Champion

Ha Ha cracked it -the DG834 is now working as well as the TG585 Smiley
To quote Netgear  "by default the router's firewall is configured to drop (delete) ICMP packets sent from outside your network to the WAN port."
See http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/966/related/1
Allowing the router to "respond to Ping on Internet WAN Port" has speeded up the DG834 VPN to match the TG585 Cheesy
Richard
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Interesting - didn't know that some VPNs need ping traffic, that's useful - ta. (I've not had much chance to play about with VPNs  :-[)
Thanks for that, and glad to hear it's all working now.
chipshopman

Today, I finally had the time to do some proper troubleshooting on this issue - see my earlier post - connectivity, but not able to use Outlook to access corporate email through RAS.
Basically after a lot of reading, I change the MTU to 1400 and everything started working.
However, besides changing the MTU on my IPCOP Firewall (using a DG632 in modem mode to connect to the internet), I also change the MTU on my laptop using both Dr TCP and the following MS KB document:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3ben-us%3b826159&Product=winxp
What Dr TCP seems to do is change the ProtocolMTU, but not the TunnelMTU. Also this whole section was missing from my registry. It could be that this registry change was unnecessary, however right now it's working, it's nearly tea time and I feel a beer coming on so I'm not going to bother backing that bit out to test its validity.
Hope this helps others.
ChipShopMan