Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessing storage on another network

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Accessing storage on another network

Can't get my head round this or my brain is too small to deal with it.
I have everything working fine on PN using the technicolor (although its wireless performance bugs me at times). I have a variety of pc's, laptops and a PS3, TV's, Digibox that all access content off an HP microserver.
However, I have just offered to help with a BT fibre trial in the village and was thinking it would be interesting to attach the ps3 and other devices we use for iplayer and sky nowtv to the new fibre router to see if it improves some of the buffering and drop-outs we get occasionally. BUT, will there still be a way for these devices on the new network (other than going via the Internet)  to access the microserver that I want to keep on the old PN/Technicolor network?
Thanks
PT
12 REPLIES 12
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Accessing storage on another network

Yes, but it'd be via the internet. Your best bet would be to fit a second ethernet card into the server (assuming there's room - iirc those Proliant boxes do have some expansion slots, so it should be possible) and connect it up to both networks.
SuperZoom
Grafter

If you were to turn off the DHCP servers on both routers, connect two of their switch ports together with an ethernet cable, and carefully configure all the network settings (on both clients and routers) manually, you could actually have one internal network with two routes out to the internet - some clients using one route and some another, according to the default gateway and DNS servers assigned to them.
You could potentially use the Microserver as the DHCP server to dish out those settings to two separate scopes on the same subnet, rather than doing it manually.
There are other, more robust, possibilities, such as introducing a third router. Even for 30-odd quid something like a TP-Link TL-R470T+ can route to a specific WAN based on LAN source IP address (overriding the load balancing algorithm). Since that little TP-Link can make a PPPoE connection itself, the router supplied by BT could then simply be used as the wireless AP. Stick the Microserver on the 4th port and you're away! Obviously, more expensive (gigabit) options are available.
So what you want is definitely possible, one way or another.
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for your help on this but solutions way beyond my capability. Hopefully my next idea is as straightforward as I think it is but would appreciate confirmation and tips on implementation.
I now propose to use the new fibre broadband and router.
In order that wired devices currently plugged in to the PN router (desktop, server, printers) can access the internet and be accessed by other devices, can I just put the PN router in to bridge mode or similar and let it talk to the other router and access the new internet connection wirelessly?
hope I've made that clear.
Thanks
PT
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

The only slight issue I have just thought of is that the HP microserver needs port forwarding so I can access it remotely. This is currently set on the PN Technicolor.  How would I need to set it ip with the PN router accessing the internet via the new fibre connection/router?
SuperZoom
Grafter

I think it perhaps sounds more difficult than it really would be.
Is there a physical reason why you can't just move everything, including the Microserver, over to the router on the fibre connection?
If you have a static IP for remote access to the HP and that's the reason, then Matt's suggestion of a 2nd NIC might be easiest for you, if it's possible.
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

I don't think the wife would like the server and 3 printers in the hall which is where the current master socket is. I might have a go at persuading the engineer to put the new master in my office upstairs. Not sure he'll go for that though unless he is accommodating due to it being a trial.
SuperZoom
Grafter

Ethernet cable through to the office and use the PN router as a simple switch?
When you say fibre trial, is it an FTTP trial ie. fibre all the way to the house? If so, putting the ONT (the FTTP equivalent of a master socket) in your office isn't likely to be a problem. Openreach were extremely good about putting mine exactly where I wanted it. The termination point had to be at ground level because the splicing machine is heavy and cumbersome so can't be used up a ladder, but the pre-made length of fibre which runs from there inside the house is long, so can easily go back up again, round the back... wherever.
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

Its an option but routing a cable from the router downstairs to the router upstairs would either be a big or an unsightly job - unless I take it outside and in to the attic and then drop it in to the office.
AFAIK it is FTTC
SuperZoom
Grafter

Ah, well, if it isn't too practical to get a cable from the Microserver to the other router, the dual network card solution isn't going to be practical either.
WDS has to be the way to go, in that case (which is basically the same thing but using wireless to make the link). EDIT: Now I re-read, it seems that's what you were asking about anyway.
I doubt you'll have much success persuading the PN router to do that, though, so you might need to get a separate access point. Not expensive.
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for your help. I'll see what the outcome of tomorrows installation is. I might just run both networks in tandem and only use the new fibre network for devices that don't need access to shared resources for the time being. I can then prepare for the switchover from the ADSL connection at my leisure.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

AFAIK it is FTTC
So are they instaling a separate phone line for the Fibre ? It's not possible to run ADSL and FTTC over the same line.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

I believe so. If not the engineer will be told to go away!