Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access to router

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Access to router

This is beginning to bug me now, because I can't seem to solve it.
When I try to access my TG582n router on my laptop, which is my main machine, it takes over a minute from hitting the login button to the main screen showing, and when it does finally appear, I get the screen as in the screenshot below and can get no further.
I can get the full screen and access on my desktop machine (wired) and my iPad (wireless), so I know it is a setting on the laptop, but I don't know what, as so far as I can see, the laptop is set exactly as the desktop.
If it is any help, I set up the router via the desktop - wired. Desktop is XP SP3 Home, laptop is W7 Home premium.
Any suggestions gratefully received, as the desktop is old and slow, and the iPad a bit of a small screen.
John
11 REPLIES 11
Twills
Grafter

Re: Access to router

Hi jab1,
Try disabling zone alarm as a first easy test. Zone Alarm can act a bit funky with some data transfer issues. Also if you have 2 or more anti-virus or firewall side by side can cause the same problem. Do the easy stuff after that - clear history, cache, cookies, try a different browser. If no joy let us know.
Twills.
jab1
Legend

Thanks for picking this up Tom, but (1) I don't have ZA on this, or any, of my kit . (2) I only have AVG as active AV - on both desktop (which is behaving) and laptop (which isn't).
Forgot to mention that I've tried this on 3 browsers  (Avant -my default, Firefox and Slimbrowser) - with exactly the same results.
I've also tried it with AVG temporarily switched off, with my adblocker switched off and still no joy.
What I have just remembered, is that when I was having connection drops not long after I installed this router, every time I came back to the laptop, it brought up the router login page and a message, something along the lines of 'further authentication required' - but if I cancelled the balloon and the login page, I could carry on as normal.
I've had no loss of DSL for a while now - as you will see in my RADIUS logs - so haven't seen the message, and I don't really want to invoke it again, in case I end up going back to regular disconnections and the associated drops in connection speed.
Cookies, history and cache have no bearing on this - it happens if I try and make it the first thing I do in a morning, on a perfectly clean system.
John
picbits
Rising Star

I had similar when I installed the 582n recently sent to me - wireless was absolutely hopeless to try and access the router and I had to use a wired connection to get anywhere.
After a power cycle of the router, everything worked fine (albeit at the usual sluggish 582n pace !)
jab1
Legend

Dom - wireless is perfectly OK on this one - as I said in the original post, I can get to the interface almost instantly on my iPad,  sat in exactly the same position as I am when using the laptop. It's just the laptop which takes forever (well over a minute ), to display the router 'front page', and when does, it does not do it fully, as can be seen in the picture.
John
jab1
Legend

Sorry to 'bump' this - but Twills did say come back if I had no joy - and I have got no further. Sad
John
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi Jab1,
It's a hard one for us to try and help with as it's got to be something unique to your laptop if it's only happening with that.
Does connecting the laptop to the router via ethernet give any different results.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
picbits
Rising Star

*Edit - just spotted you'd tried a different browser.
Maybe double check the MTU settings on the laptop ?
jab1
Legend

Adam/Dom
Thanks for coming back.
I will try both your suggestions tomorrow (Tuesday),but as I had non of this trouble when I was using the Netgear router, I suspect it is something on or in the 5822n - but I'm stumped as to what it could be.
Silly question, but it is that long since I've played with routers -how do I check the MTU & what should it be?
John
picbits
Rising Star

I think the standard MTU size is 1492
Other things to consider - try updating your network card drivers - I've seen this cause issues with other customers who are running older drivers.
Make sure your network settings are on automatically get IP address / DNS etc (or try a fixed IP on your network if they already are)
Try flushing your local DNS ( ipconfig /flushdns at a command line )
In your network settings, untick IPV6 - see if that makes a difference.
Disable any firewalls / antivirus (temporarily)
If you have ever had AVG Free, some of the older versions used to inject extra data into the HTTP request which really screws things up with certain web services or routers. Even when you remove it, remnants seem to exist which continue to mess things up. I wasted a couple of days at a clients who couldn't remote access certain programs on their new server from certain machines. Looking at the logs revealed some mangled HTTP requests and Googling these revealed other people with the same issues :
http://forums.avg.com/gb-en/avg-forums?sec=thread&act=show&id=189228
Twills
Grafter

Quote from: jab1
(1) I don't have ZA on this

Thanks for coming back, just for my own knowledge then what is the red and green bar graph like icon on your screen shot?? Looks like ZA to me 😕
Whenever I set up MTU manually I've always used 1454 but that will make no difference on this.
Twills.
jab1
Legend

Tom - that is my BitMeter speed monitor - it is that long since I've anything to do with ZA on my machines that I wouldn't know what you were talking about. Wink
John