cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Abysmally Slow Internet

aris
Dabbler

Abysmally Slow Internet

I've been connected for about 3 days now, and while I am aware of the 10 day adjustment period I can't help but think my there's something wrong with my speed. I have recently moved into a brand new flat, freshly built, and was told it was impossible to give an estimate of my potential speed. I was offered to wait for a surveyor to give us an accurate estimation, which I accepted, though I did not receive the estimation at any point.

Fast forward to now (nearly a month and a half later!) and our connection is extremely slow. Our download speed is about 0.46KBPS, though we have had it frequently drop to <100KBPS, though I would attribute this fluctuation to the aforementioned adjustment period. Upload speed is 0.21 and my profile indicates that my speed estimate is apparently 2.0MBPS (which is surely still very slow?).

Noise Margin is 11.0/7.3

Attenuation is 31.5/63.5

Not sure what the problem is, honestly. I've lived within the general area my entire life and have never a connection this slow before, so I'm very confused. Any assistance / advice would be much appreciated.

39 REPLIES 39
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Abysmally Slow Internet

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Sorry to hear you're having problems.

Testing your broadband is showing your router in sync at a speed below your estimates of between 1 Mb/s and 3 Mb/s. You can view this estimate at www.dslchecker.bt.com

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 42.6 63.5
SNR Margin: 10.0 7.5
Errored Seconds: 0 2
HEC Errors: 0  
Cell Count: 374604 1882454
Speed: 288 576

Testing your line isn't identifying why that is the case.

I'd advise going through internal checks here and raise a fault to us here if you continue to experience problems.

Let us know how you get on.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

288/576 looks like a fixed rate service, perhaps due to incorrect provisioning.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

If I remember correctly, I checked for that, but I'll be happy to check again in case I've missed something.

I'll update this thread further tomorrow.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

It looks like the service is provisioned on ADSL1 because it's banded at 8 Mb/s.

Profile Info: BT WBC 8M/Uncapped/6dB/Fast (ADSL)

I've placed an order to modify the service to ADSL2+ which should go through tomorrow.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
aris
Dabbler

Thanks for the support! I've been very busy with work lately but I'll let you know of any changes this week and I'll also run thru the advice given to me on my day off. Really appreciate this, not being able to have two computers on at the same time is driving us nuts!
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problems.

Let us know how you get on.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
aris
Dabbler

Dunno if the change to ADSL 2+ has gone through or not, but can only assume it has. Speed has gone from bad to worse - consistently less than 100KBPS

BT Wholesale Broadband Test says:

Download Speed: 0.16

Upload Speed: 0.40

Ping: 226.50

Very frustrated as it's literally impossible to do just about anything. Will try internal stuff and update.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Yeah the order to ADSL2+ went through in the early hours of the morning.

The profile is now reflecting this...

Profile Info: WBC 160K - 24M No delay (INP 0) 6dB Downstream, UC No delay (INP 0) 6dB Upstream (ADSL2+)

However, your sync speed is still really slow...

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 39.5 67.0
SNR Margin: 5.5 6.1
Errored Seconds: 3 0
HEC Errors: 1  
Cell Count: 948011 14623972
Speed: 527 302

Let us know how you get on after trying the test socket.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
aris
Dabbler

Currently in the test socket (for some reason is in the bedroom? which strikes me as odd) and while there's a noticeable difference, it's still very slow.

BTWBBP Test:

Download Speed - 0.21

Upload Speed - 0.14

Ping - 46.75

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I've seen master/test sockets in an attic before, or even in the garage (as was my parents' case).

It looks like to progress this we'll need to arrange an engineer visit. Don't worry about raising the fault yourself, I'll create a ticket on your account for you that you can respond to.

I'll be about 10 minutes.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
aris
Dabbler

What can we expect from an engineer visit / how long can we be expected to wait? Is it possible that we can return to ADSL 1 in the meantime? My fiancee requires a stable connection to be able to do business, and that's the best we'd had in this building so far.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Whilst an engineer will require access, they will investigate the fault in general. They won't just be looking at your internal setup/equipment. At the moment, the availability we have is weekdays from this Friday.

I've just finished raising the fault now, you can view the ticket here

Let us know once you've replied.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
aris
Dabbler

If I understand correctly, I'm to be charged for the engineer visit? I'm already paying for a service that isn't working, and I'm working a minimum wage while supporting another member the household - I simply can't afford £65 for an engineer visit that may or may not solve my problem.