cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Abysmal speeds and variability three days after installation of fibre

sbanaras
Dabbler

Abysmal speeds and variability three days after installation of fibre

Ok, I know I'm meant to wait 10 days for my line to settle down, but this is my current speed (done wirelessly):

The only time I got a decent speed was when the engineer was here and I was practically sitting on top of the router.  I got 40.
I'm becoming a bit obsessed with my speed and testing it, so every twenty minutes or so, I give it a test, and I never get the same answer twice. I had a nice value of 20 meg when I got home from work, but now I can't get it higher than 3. The pic above is the nadir and, to me, utterly unacceptable. My 3G is faster.
Please could someone help. Thanks
53 REPLIES 53
kelvin
Grafter

Re: Abysmal speeds and variability three days after installation of fibre

My set up was installed on Monday and I had been very pleased with it as I was getting over 60Mbps (except on the laptop - but that is another problem). But like you mine has gone downhill this evening. My wireless laptop is completely unuseable and my wired desktop is functioning at 16\Mbps rather than the 60 or greater I have been getting.
I also thought it took 10 days or so to settle but another member of this community has told me no (related to the very poor wireless performance of the router) it should all be sorted almost immediately.
I will keep testing throughout the evening and keep my fingers crossed that speed goes back up to >60
picbits
Rising Star

Go into the router settings, disconnect, wait a minute then reconnect and see if it's any better.
Also try it through a wired connection - wireless connection can be affected by interference and get very very low rates (especially if someone near you is using a wireless video sender or camera)
shalom2010
Grafter

@sbanaras I think you need to run the BT speedtest to check your IP profile. Go to http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ run the test (do NOT reboot anything as it says) -the click on 'Further Diagnostics', enter your phone number
& report the details here or upload the page.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Sorry to hear that sbanaras,
As the speeds are slow low we'd strongly advise raising a fault rather than waiting through the 10 day line training period.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
sbanaras
Dabbler

My stats from the test.  Not the worst one by a long shot.  I also noticed that my IP changed entirely overnight a few days ago.
I just need to point out, this test was done wirelessly. To get to the router will mean crawling into a small dusty space.
My line was estimated at 58mbs, but apparently only capable of 48?  Not best pleased with that. However, if I could get a fibre speed that exceeds my previous phone line speed, that'd be lovely.
Should I raise a ticket for a fault? Thanks
shalom2010
Grafter

Hi sbanaras. I think you'll find that a fault will only be actioned on a wired connection. I'm afraid you'll have to crawl under that small dusty place Smiley
If you're still not happy, raise a fault.You could start off here: http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/bbfaults/fibre-speed-troubleshooting.shtml.
Good luck
sbanaras
Dabbler

Thanks Shalom 2010.  I will do that in a bit when I don't have an audience.
I'm wondering if there's wi-fi  interference, but I'm really stuck due to the position of the master socket/ power sockets and data cable length.  I definitely can't get a wired connection unless I crawl into a corner.
picbits
Rising Star

PC World are selling 5m CAT5 cables for £1.13 delivered at the moment :
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PC-World-Essentials-5m-Cat5e-Ethernet-Cable-New-Other-/130760963697?pt=UK_...
Worth grabbing a couple at that price just to know they are making a loss when you include postage Wink
Handy for not having to sit in dusty corners !!!
sbanaras
Dabbler

Thanks Dom,
I might just grab one!  Wink
Ok, wired test:

However even sitting next to the router as I am doing I lose about 15 mbs speed when using wi-fi, so for me in my room a good 20 metres away, the loss in signal is a lot more. 
I'd appreciate any help on getting a decent signal. Thanks.  (where's the antenna on the technicolor btw?)
A wired connection would require a cable of about 30 metres to route it around door frames, under carpet etc.
AndyH
Grafter

You could try this software: http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/
Here's a guide to using it -

Playing around with the wireless channels might improve performance, particularly if a neighbour is using the same channel as you at the moment.
PowerLee
Pro
Fixes: 2

The antenna is internal for the Technicolor fibre router.
sbanaras
Dabbler

HI Andy,
Thanks, I've had insider for ages and am using the least used channel.
One other (OT) query: why does my IP keep changing?  This is the third different one in 4 days?   My f8lure graph shows that it changed about 4pm today.
AndyH
Grafter

Only reason for an IP change is if you've lost sync - did you reboot the router then?
What is the WAN uptime in the router stats?
sbanaras
Dabbler

I did reboot the router as I went through the BT speed test instructions carefully!  Wink  I used to reboot my old Be router and it never changed IP...odd
Thanks Powerlee for the answer about the antenna.  

Most recent wi-fi speed (in my room)  Cry

Have I got a dud router or is it just me?