cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About to leave PlusNet then BAM!

TomP
Grafter

About to leave PlusNet then BAM!

A few days ago after researching round other BB providers I decided to make the move from PlusNet to BT (Mainly because of Mac issues with the router and the option of an N router).  MAC code was easy enough to request and got an e-mail through today with my MAC code.  All sorted, happy that it was e-mailed to me and ready to leave.  PlusNet has been superb during my time with them and never had a reason to complain...
Then came the BAM!
A small topic of 'Free House Move' was added to my final bill, costing £65
Now, correct me if I'm wrong but the title of 'Free House Move' seems a bit false.  Mainly the FREE part! Are you freeking kidding me? £65 for moving from the Sergeants Mess to a married quarter? Not even 100 yards! To say that transition was seamless as well is a bit of an overstatement!
I'm sorry, but I am asking, nay, demanding why this has been added to my bill.  Never had this before from a broadband provider and I am pretty disgusted this was thrown onto my bill without any prompting or warning when I moved in the first place.  What I should have done was left PlusNet then resigned up at a new location to avoid this stealth charge.
NOT happy.  Angry
10 REPLIES 10
leeanthony
Grafter

Re: About to leave PlusNet then BAM!

Plusnet are scammers like this.
This account used to be in my mums name, but she moved house and cancelled the BT phone line in my house. The broadband was put on hold. My dad reactivated the BT phone line, with the same number that it used to be. I contacted Plusnet and explained, and said that the BT phone line is working again, same number, same house. All that I asked was to change the name of the Plusnet account to my own, because I would continue the same account but pay it myself so wanted it in my name.
That should be no problem right? Ha, not with this scrub company
The guy on the phone kept blabbering on about some free house move crap.. and basically he told me, I have to RESTART my contract with Plusnet or pay £65, and the broadband is still being received at the same original house on the same original telephone line/number that it always was. Funny huh Roll_eyes
StephenF
Grafter

free house move only applies if, after moving, you stay for 12 months.
fair enough imo, any gear you have had from them, you have to pay for if you leave within 12 months of taking it, same with house moving.
better than being stuck in a contract, by far, and they cover losses from their end. and regardless of how far you had to move, its still the same procedure as if you would have moved across the country i imagine.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

When activating broadband on a line we get charged to do this, unfortunately due to the low cost of our products we have to pass these costs on.
The £65 cost will cover the £40 for activation and £25 cessation charges, these are amounts we are charged for this and therefore need to pass on.
When moving house you have the option of paying this amount up front, or deferring it over 12 months. Basically this means that if you leave with the next 12 months you repay us the costs we incurred providing or ceasing the service for you.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
TomP
Grafter

Ok, when possible (I'm guessing not right now) could I get the date of my move? I'm guessing its very soon as I only moved in to this place at the start of December.
On that subject, how long do MAC codes last?
Still not happy about not being warned of this charge, still think it would have been easier to leave and rejoin.
StephenF
Grafter

i saw it when i signed up, its not fine print.
mac codes last 30 days m8
TomP
Grafter

Don't ever remember seeing it (Mind you, it was a good 2 years ago now), plus I didn't get warned off when I did move.  Anyway, by the by, still going to transfer.  Once my 12 months are up I will be switching.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

I thought the cessation charge only applies if you are cancelling broadband on your line, not migrating out with a MAC?
Mark
Grafter

It does Peter but in ths case, as I'm reading it, the cease applies to the house move where the line in old property has to be ceased as part of the house move.
Mand
Grafter

Hi Tom,
The house move was added on 02/01/09, and an email was sent to you at the time confirming the contract details.
It expires on 02/01/10.
FWIW if you'd left and rejoined you'd have had the same costs deferred unless you paid them upfront, we don't absorb these costs at all (we can't, realistically, given our low costs).
TomP
Grafter

Sorted, after the new year I will grab myself a new MAC code.
Thanks for the responses.