cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About time for an 100GB Monthly limit

Pixiesoft

About time for an 100GB Monthly limit

I am a high user of internet usage due to things like Steam, Netflix and gaming, that 60GB a month just isn't enough any more. I have found myself consistently going over my usage limit (Especially during the steam sale) which is costing me a fortune. With more and more high usage systems I think it is high time the 60GB limit be raised to 100GB.
20 REPLIES 20
kmilburn
Grafter

Re: About time for an 100GB Monthly limit

For a small extra fee,  you could have 120GB... 
Quote from: Matt
I would recommend checking out the extra usage link at http://trials.plus.net Smiley
godsell4
Rising Star

Quote from: kmilburn
For a small extra fee,   you could have 120GB...   

what kind of traffic shaping is that account based on? PN Extra?
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I believe it hasn't changed from when it was originally offered and looking here http://usergroup.plus.net/prodcomp1.php it seems to be the same as extra
Pixiesoft

Quote from: kmilburn
For a small extra fee,   you could have 120GB...   

Where did you see that? 120GB would be ideal
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

click on the link in the post you quoted from
Zap
Grafter

I agree with the OP, as I mentioned here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,106672.0.html
What with Ipads and Ipods downloading the same content over and over from say YouTube and online TV starting to take off things will only get worse.
I am probably going to take the the "trial" but it really ought to be included in the price considering the competition are offering unlimited on their value products.
NeilByMouth
Grafter

Value products are just that. Compare the situation with a restaurant with good service and a menu that describes what you get and an all you can eat buffet. You might get a load more salt and fat for your money at one but you will have to bump shoulders in the queue to fill your plate up. I've used broadband since it became consumer available and not just in this country. I have had nothing but bad experiences with the likes of NTL, UPC, BT that have offered "WOW you get all this, honest" offerings and pretty much all good experiences with smaller more personable companies that are clearer about what you get and generally better at providing it. I'm new to plusnet but I am expecting pretty much the same. The fact I could pay for a "lower latency service" was great for me and I think 60GB/mo with unmetered for 1/3 of the day is fair.
I get what people are saying about the likes of tablets that don't cache content or to which content is streamed but to me that is a product design fault. At its core its not green as there are power considerations of hitting stuff more than once when not really necessary and to be honest the way these services work it is unreasonable to expect them to grow fatter and fatter at the expense of people who would rather pay for less traffic but better bandwidth (there is a difference though some people see them as synonymous) .
There is probably room for products to develop in a two tiered approach. You should be able to have unlimited free traffic at lower or redundant bandwidth (media streaming doesn't require the anywhere near the responsiveness that gaming or remote access to a virtual CAD station requires). The non redundant bandwidth should be staged at price points with you defaulting to the always on & higher contention traffic if you go over.
Just my 2p's worth. I appreciate other people have other feelings based upon their needs.
cnj39

I have the 10gb allowance which is totally useless. I would suggest Plusnet needs to review its products ang get rid of the allowances completely. Who wants to worry every month about their allowance being breached.. At the present rate it looks as though I will be moving to a provider with no allowance limit. Angry
Jonboyh

Couldn't agree more, I'm new to Plusnet and signed up happily based on their reputation , I didn't even realise there was a usage limit as thought that was something from broadband of 5 years ago having come from Sky which is unlimited. I'm now having to be careful how I use it and it's putting a dampner on Xbox live, google hangouts and loads of other stuff. I get more data alowance on my mobile phone which is a joke
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

If you've signed up for Plusnet Value with 10GB monthly allowance for an extra £5 per month you could upgrade to Extra with 60GB monthly allowance.
David
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Jonboyh
I didn't even realise there was a usage limit

How the heck did you manage that? It is very prominent on the Plusnet website.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: KevinG
How the heck did you manage that? It is very prominent on the Plusnet website.

Just what I was thinking!  Perhaps this shows the power of TV advertising?
Jonboyh

Just missed it in all my excitement to sign up I guess, called up today and paid the extra to upgrade and they actioned it straight away so very impressed and a happy bunny now with 60gb to play with  Smiley
audiorover
Grafter

Quote from: cnj39
I have the 10gb allowance which is totally useless. I would suggest Plusnet needs to review its products ang get rid of the allowances completely. Who wants to worry every month about their allowance being breached.. At the present rate it looks as though I will be moving to a provider with no allowance limit. Angry

10Gb is fine as long as you're not using the internet instead of TV or downloading files. I think there are significant numbers of people who only access normal, non-streaming websites and even emebedded youtube videos are highly compressed and relatively small..
If it allows Plusnet to provide the cheapest broadband (are they?) then that's still viable rather than forcing people to pay for more than they need by not offering lower price levels.