Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS RT-N66U N900

Sebtomato
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: ASUS RT-N66U N900

Asus RT-N56U is very cheap now, price has dropped to below £70. Try Dabs Outlet store on eBay.
Bright
Grafter

Bear in mind the N56U is a different beast from the N66U - it's a different architecture (Ralink chipset rather than the Broadcom chipset used in the N66U), has a different antenna layout and doesn't run the same custom firmwares. So my comments don't apply to the N56U. It's still a very powerful router, although it has a lower throughput than the N66U.
thomasjc1
Grafter

Yea i was tempted with the 56 a few days ago but for the sake of a few more pounds I want the better router
Sebtomato
Rising Star

Quote from: Bright
although it has a lower throughput than the N66U.

Might be, but given that it has already a great throughput for a 1Gbps wired connection, not sure what more is required...
The main difference I can see is that the N56U can run wireless at 300mbps, while the N66U has a faster wireless, but not compatible with most wireless cards...
Bright
Grafter

Yes, I agree the N56U is an excellent router. Two things swung the decision in favour of the N66U for me:

• The ability to run custom firmware. The additional features are useful to me and I particularly liked the ability to run OpenVPN. But not necessary for many buyers, I agree.

• The better wireless coverage, as well as absolute throughput figures, as demonstrated by the testing carried out by SmallNetBuilder. The N66U was able to deliver usable throughput in the most distant test location (labelled "F"), which most other routers including the N56U could not.

I live in an old Victorian place with thick walls and have trouble getting coverage in all rooms, so I was looking for a router with excellent wireless coverage (as well as good throughput). The N66U seemed like the best option for this.
The wireless test results for the two routers on SmallNetBuilder are here:
N56U: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/31436-asus-rt-n56u-black-diamond-dual-band-...
N66U: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/31687-asus-rt-n66u-dark-knight-dual-band-wi...
Sebtomato
Rising Star

I believe there are custom firmwares available for the N56U...
The N66U costs about £40 more than the N56U currently, or about 60% more...
chuckster
Grafter

I can vouch for this router.  Excellent performer in all aspects.  Wifi is solid, fast and far reaching.  Don't think I'll be going back to Netgear anytime soon.
thomasjc1
Grafter

im ordering the asus rt-n66u.is it just a case of plugging the asus into modem when my fibre is installed or is it modem then tecnicolor with wireless switched off then the asus
im hoping its modem then asus
Bright
Grafter

Yes, you plug the Asus into the modem and put the Plusnet Technicolor router back in it's box just in case you need a spare in the future.
When you first power up the Asus it runs a set-up wizard which is pretty easy and straightforward. From memory it auto-detects what type of internet connection you have, asks for your DSL username (username@pludsl.net) and password (these are your Plusnet username and password but with the @plusdsl.net bit appended to username), you can then configure a name and password for the wireless networks and that's more or less it. It should log on to Plusnet straight away. I then worked my way through all the configuration options on the Asus to check I was happy with them, but the defaults are fine for most things. The router comes with a "getting started" booklet that explains the basics and there's a full manual online (or probably on the CD, but I didn't bother using the CD, it's not necessary).
You might want to check which version of firmware is installed - the latest Asus firmware is 3.0.0.4.270 which was released a couple of weeks ago. Or you could try the Merlin firmware, which is what I'm currently running:
http://www.lostrealm.ca/tower/node/79
Hope you like your new router. Feel free to ask if you get stuck with anything.
thomasjc1
Grafter

thats fantastic so what extras do u get with merlin did i read it cools it down abit
thanks for your help i wish the 26th would hurry up
Bright
Grafter

The Merlin firmware is based on the Asus released firmware. It fixes a few bugs in the Asus firmware and adds quite a lot of extra features. There's a complete list on the page I linked to in my previous post. Some of them are a bit "technical" for geeks who like to play. Some are a bit more useful to a general audience, such as detailed traffic monitoring by network device. So have a look down the list and see if anything looks like it might be useful. Otherwise, just stick with the official Asus firmware (but update to the latest version).
I think someone felt that the Asus version 270 firmware might reduce the temperature a bit. Not sure if it does. I haven't tried it. The released Merlin version is based on the previous 266 firmware from Asus. Merlin has released a beta version of his firmware using the 270 Asus version as it's baseline, but it's not formally released yet.
thomasjc1
Grafter

Ahhhhhhhh yes hmmm think I might have to do that thanks again mate
thomasjc1
Grafter

Just ordered today so looking forward to that also received plusnet router come on the 26th lol
windsortg
Grafter

@thomasjc1 - where did you order the router from and do you mind if I ask how much it cost?
supersports12
Dabbler

thanks for this was just looking how to connect to plusnet on thiss router  too..perfect