cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS RT-AC68U using PPPoE

Russell666

ASUS RT-AC68U using PPPoE

Hi
Is there a way I can use an ASUS RT68U on Plusnet? It has no option for PPPoA, wondering if there's a way of configuring it manually so it connects using PPPoE. Looking at threads for earlier models of ASUS this seems to be possible, I'm just not sure how. Need to find out before I go Crazy
Russell
13 REPLIES 13
AndyH
Grafter

Re: ASUS RT-AC68U using PPPoE

Are you trying to use it for ADSL? If so, you need an ADSL modem to use alongside your Asus router.
Russell666

Yes I am on ADSL - I have the Thomson one connected - should I be running that alongside it?
AndyH
Grafter

Yes...but it is going to be a bit of a fiddle to set up - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?topic=105753.0
Russell666

Thanks, I could probably work it out, eventually!
I originally bought it thinking it would be an improvement on the Thomson one - not sure if I'm defeating the object if I run it all through the Thomson 1st...Am I wasting my time here?
AndyH
Grafter

The Asus router is probably one of the best ones out there. It has really good wireless range and many features not available with the Plusnet router.
I take it you don't have fibre in your area yet? The router would be a lot simpler with fibre.
Russell666

I suspect we do - in West London & BT are advertising on their boxes...I bought it was an improvement and gadget to play with. Don't really need fibre for my usage, yet, though I'm keen to look at streaming movies a bit more and currently do that for music. Otherwise it's just surfing / games over wifi
jape
Dabbler

You can use your ASUS RT-AC68U using PPPoE if you have a separate modem. I have a similar setup and am using an ASUS RT-AC56U wireless router with a TP-Link TD-8817 which I bought off Amazon for about £13:50.
This has replaced a Netgear DGN3500 and has been rock solid since installing.
PembsPanther
Grafter

I have just bought one of these awesome routers, I too will be using it on ADSL until we have fibre upgrade around next March, I was wondering if there was any updates the OP could give? Or anyone else who has tried this recently? Also would it be easier to achieve bridge mode with a different modem?? If so which one would you lovely people rec commend?
Thanks in advance Smiley
shure
Grafter

I have an Asus RT-N66u connected via an old Netgear DG834PN modem router in bridge mode.  The Asus gives me pretty decent wireless connectivity throughout my house, and I live in an old Victorian building that can throw up a fair few challenges due to its thick walls.  It's much, much better than the PN supplied unit, for me at any rate.
From the horror stories I've heard of getting the Thompson to work in bridge mode, I'd recommend buying a cheap modem instead.  Let's face it, if you've spent the better part of £160 on the router you may as well spend an extra £15 to get a modem that will enable you to get the full benefit.  Once I understood what I needed to do, it was easy to set up.
If it helps, the settings I had to change for my modem once I put it in modem-only mode were:
LLC encapsulation
MCI = 38
And that was it, IIRC.  The Asus then configured under PPPoE immediately and I haven't needed to touch the modem since (I've had it about 5 months).  The added benefit is that we are expecting FTTC sometime in the next few months and the Asus will easily be able to take advantage of that.
bodyart99uk

I know this is an old thread but hoping to revive it.

ive moved home and been downgraded to adsl from my previous fibre so, from the thread my router won't work without an additional modem 😞 

im guessing the fibre open reach one won't be suitable but can anyone suggest a good one I can get to get my asus back up and running with minimum fuss?  I really need the range and multiple connections the Asus handles so well. Very poor coverage with the standard plus net box

thanks in advance

stewart 

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

If you have the Huawei hg612 3b openreach modem that can be unlocked easily by loading different firmware and then configuring it to work on ADSL, I am using one myself on an ADSLMax connection while waiting for my local FTTC cabinet to be activated. There is a lot of information on the Kitz website about this, try searching there. If however you have an ECI modem that is much more difficult (has to be opened up) so probably not worth the effort.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

If you can't unlock your BT modem then have a look at one of these http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5728882 . It's pretty cheap and can be configured for both ADSL & VDSL as a modem only(bridge mode) and according to kitz http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/tplink_TD-W9970_review.htm has a pretty good modem. I recently got one to use as a modem in front of my Draytek 2830 and it worked fine both on my old connection in ADSL mode, and in VDSL mode when my fibre upgrade happened.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bodyart99uk

Thanks for the speedy reply both, I really appreciate it.

i was thinking to keep the open reach modern for whenever fibre becomes available so am not overly keen to fiddle with it if a can help it.

the top-link modem at Argos seems a good way forward.

can I just check, doing this to get my Asus back up n running will be worth the effort won't it? Or am I just wasting my time/money..

on the fibre connection it seemed great, easily handling multiple streams to multiple devices but on the slower adsl it might not be able to handle multiple streams anyway. I just want to be able to get the most from my available speed for now

thanks again