cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS DSL-AC68U Wireless Modem Router Setup

bill168

ASUS DSL-AC68U Wireless Modem Router Setup

Have recently bought an ASUS DSL-AC68U Wireless Modem Router and tried to set it up on my existing Plusnet ADSL line, but with no success.
My ADSL line works ok with my previous Belkin N Wireless Modem-Router.
I connect the ASUS in place of the Belkin and the DSL light on the ASUS flashes a few times but then goes out. According to the ASUS manual it should come on permanently if the ADSL line is OK.
I have tried everyting I know without any success, including replacing all cables, filters, etc. SO I gave in and reconnected the Belkin, which connected straight away and works fine.
Took the ASUS back to store and got it replaced then tried again..........same problem with the replacemnet  Angry
Tried bypassing the ASUS Quick Internet Setup prog and entered all the WAN parameters manually (same as Belkin), but still no success.
Belkin now back in again (hence how I'm posting this) and I have run out of ideas  Sad
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
--
Bill.
4 REPLIES 4
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: ASUS DSL-AC68U Wireless Modem Router Setup

It's not the first time this has happened with one of these Asus models - the last similar thread was https://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,137231.0.html
You could try updating to the latest firmware. A workaround might be to set the ADSL modulation to ADSL1 (G.DMT).
bill168

Thanks ejs, I just got the same response from ASUS Support suggesting that it could be the modulation type not being correct.
The way to get round it is to bypass the Quick Internet Setup (QIS) menu and select the 'Advanced Settings/Administration' menu. You then select the 'DSL settings' tab and in the 'DSL Modulation' dropdown menu change the setting from 'Multiple Mode' to 'G.Dmt'.
You will also need to make sure that you haver entered your Plusenet DSL User name and Password under the PVC setup in 'Advanced Settings/WAN' menu, which I had already done correctly.
Once I changed the Modulation type, everything jumped perfectly into life  Grin
Bottom line is that the modem doesn't auto select the correct modulation type as it should do (I had the same with 2 of these devices), so you need to select it manually. After that, it works very well indeed!
I'm not very well up on ADSL, so don't really understand why it needs to be set this way in order to work, does ADSL2/2+ not work with Plusnet?
Cheers,
--
Bill.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Any other modem/router would work properly, it's just these Asus models that seem to have this problem.
If your telephone exchange only is 20CN and only has ADSL1 available, then changing the setting on the Asus doesn't really matter.
If your telephone exchange only is WBC (21CN) and has ADSL2+ available, then having to configure the Asus to use ADSL1 will probably be resulting in you getting less bandwidth (especially on short lines that would get 20Mb on ADSL2+, which would be limited to 8Mb on ADSL1).
bill168

Quote from: ejs
Any other modem/router would work properly, it's just these Asus models that seem to have this problem.
If your telephone exchange only is 20CN and only has ADSL1 available, then changing the setting on the Asus doesn't really matter.
If your telephone exchange only is WBC (21CN) and has ADSL2+ available, then having to configure the Asus to use ADSL1 will probably be resulting in you getting less bandwidth (especially on short lines that would get 20Mb on ADSL2+, which would be limited to 8Mb on ADSL1).

That's about what I guessed at.
According to the BT Wholesale Checker, my line is fed from a cabinet that is WBC ADSL2+.........but as you say, I never get above 8Mb Sad
I updated the firmware too, but that didn't make any difference.......
Cheers,
--
Bill.