Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASDL2+ Connection - Line sync fine, unable to estalish PPPoE Connection

MarcusJClifford
Grafter

ASDL2+ Connection - Line sync fine, unable to estalish PPPoE Connection

Hi,

I have today reported this issue via telephoning Plusnet, but to be honest I didn't get the feeling the chap I was speaking to really understood what I was telling him as he kept on saying "So the problem is you have no Internet".

This morning (31/08/2021) at 08:52:25 my router lost its PPPoE connection. The physical line was fine and did not drop sync. This was purely a PPPoE drop. 

On my router I can get detailed line stats and it has good logging.

The line has been fine and I've had no speed issues or such. The error counts (HEC etc are all very low as usual).

I have rebooted my router and ADSL2+ router and there is no change - the line syncs fine at my usual speeds and is stable but the PPPoE connection cannot be established.

I asked the chap on the phone to confirm if my account was all in order as about a month and a half ago I tried to upgrade from ADSL2+ to FTTC but the order was rejected by BT. I fear what may have happened is when that order was cancelled by BT someone that may have equated to my Plusnet login perhaps being affected.

To be clear, when BT could not provide FTTC I expected to just continue as is - staying on ADSL2+ without any new contract or anything.  My Account on Plusnet though still shows "An error has occurred: You can't change your products for the moment, you already have a product change in progress."

The phone support person did various tests, but what he was seeing was not what I was seeing - I can see the line is in sync fine, but he was saying it wasn't showing that for him. He really didn't seem to understand that to establish a connection you need both the line to be in sync and the PPPoE session to be established.

Ticket reference number is 217538639 but said someone would call if an engineer visit was needed - I again tried to explain that the line is fine so I doubt it would need an engineer visit but that seemed to be what he wanted to do.

Thanks in advance.

14 REPLIES 14
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: ASDL2+ Connection - Line sync fine, unable to estalish PPPoE Connection

@MarcusJClifford 

1. Have you tried a factory reset on your hub by pushing a paprclip in the reset hole and keeping the switch closed for about 30 seconds?

2. Have you logged in to your hub an made sure that the username and password aligns with your Plusnet account? If it is setup@plusdsl.net then it has lost your account settings. If this has happened and the factory reset hasn't fixed it then remove the DSL cable, go to the advanced settings and there update the username to <yourusername>@plusdsl.net. Add your account password. Save if you have the option. Then replace the DSL lead and if necessary select connect.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MarcusJClifford
Grafter

Thank you for your reply, I don't use the Plusnet router but have swapped out my previously working setup with a different router and done what you have suggested.

A complete factory reset followed by the setup and ensuring my username and password match what I use to login to the Plusnet portal. 

The account details lists my username https://www.plus.net/member-centre/account/details

I use this, with  <at sign>plusdsl.net  after it for the username and my password.

I would add that nothing has changed on my configuration for several years. This is not a new setup or such.

I am fairly experienced with ADSL and router setup and such. 

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@MarcusJClifford wrote:

I am fairly experienced with ADSL and router setup and such. 

I assume that by router you mean combined modem/router and you used PPPoA, not PPPoE? See https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

If we can’t see your router in sync but you can would suggest things are cross-jumpered at the exchange and/or cabinet which would need an engineer to resolve. 

I’m not in the office now but if we don’t get back to you tonight, we’ll pick this up with you tomorrow. 

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Good morning @MarcusJClifford

Sorry to hear about the problems you're having with your service. If this is yet to be picked up, please send me a PM with your account username and I'll be happy to get it raised. I've been unable to find an account through your Community profile.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Apologies for being a little slow this morning @MarcusJClifford 

I've been able to identify the account with the Ticket number posted above, looks like the fault has now been raised with our suppliers. We'll be back in touch tomorrow if an engineer visit is required.

Adam
MarcusJClifford
Grafter

Hi @adam945 thanks.

One thing that concerns me a bit the fault report on the ticket describes a FTTC connection.

As mentioned above I did try to upgrade to FTTC a few months ago with Plusnet, but that order was rejected by BT Openreach as it seems I am on a EO line even though the checker said I could upgrade. 

Would it be possible just to check if this would have any affect or be a possible cause of this issue?

Also, once this issue is resolved the record of my product held will need to be updated as it currently shows Unlimited Fibre when in fact I'm on an ADSL2+ connection.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks a lot for your response. That's odd! The asset on my end reflects that the service on the line is fibre, though saying that, I've been unable to determine the broadband profile on the line. to be honest, this doesn't change how the fault is handled anyway. I've just had a look at it on our suppliers side, and we're still waiting on an update from Openreach, which is normal. Feel free to reach out on here again tomorrow, and we'll gladly check it out for a further update.

Adam
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@MarcusJClifford 

You could try your phone number in the following to see what it says for your line.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

At the top of the results it'll tell you whether you're on an EO line or which cabinet you're connected to. Down hte left hand side it'll tell you what services are available.

Brian

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

I had a look in the background earlier today and to give a bit more detail from what I could see, your fibre order completed in the supplier systems which then triggered the pending product change our side to go through. 

The order completion to change the asset from ADSL2+ to FTTC in the supplier systems would be stopping you from being able to get a PPP session on ADSL2+ because authentication/PPP works in different ways between the two technologies.

I hope this means that you can get fibre when an engineer goes out to investigate, but an inkling tells me that as your router’s in sync on to ADSL2+ equipment then no further engineering work to get you onto fibre seems to have actually been done when the order completed, so the next engineer may find the line is exchange only still. 

If you haven’t already, I’d raise a formwize with Openreach’s fibre enquiry team here https://www.formwize.openreach.co.uk/run/survey3.cfm?idx=505d040e0b080d to query if fibre can currently be achieved at your address based on the records saying that fibre is available, if not then records need to be updated to say so as they’d be incorrect.

We’ll be in touch once we’ve got an update from the engineer. If the line is indeed still exchange only and the engineer can’t come up with a plan to get you onto fibre, we’d have to place a ‘modify order’ to downgrade the asset/service with suppliers back to ADSL2+ so you can authenticate and get a PPP session again. 

I’ve witnessed and heard of engineers in these situations work miracles before on exchange only lines so hope absolutely isn’t lost at this stage. I hope this helps. Smiley

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Good morning @MarcusJClifford

I've just popped an update on the open fault Ticket if you'd like to have a look. We've been asked by Openreach to review this matter on 07/09/2021 for a further update following the engineer visit yesterday. Smiley

Moderators Note: Corrected Date

Adam
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@adam945 wrote:

... review this matter on 0/09/2021 ...

@adam945 

Never say never  Wink

MarcusJClifford
Grafter

Thanks @adam945 

I've added a comment to ticket, but for reference here is is:

Thank you for the update.
Hopefully this work can go ahead and I can get a FTTC connection.

However, I can't be without Internet until at least the 7th September (as per the ticket info) - and this is only an investigation, so I suspect the answer will either be no it can't be done or it will actually be moved at a later date.

Is it possible to restore my Internet connection by switching back to the PPP method for ADSL2+
I understand from the comments they (FTTC vs ADSL2+) use different methods?

I really need the connection working again as soon as possible, so while we wait for the Openreach investigations for FTTC can we re-enable the ADSL2+ PPP method?

The line is still in perfect normal sync on ADSL2+ currently.

I do appreciate your assistance with this and thank you @Anoush for your message above too - it is great to have people who understand the problem. 

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

FTTC > ADSL2+ modify orders aren’t instant sadly and can take around 5 working days to go through. Also if we place the modify order, this would cancel the fault/engineering investigation as the FTTC asset would effectively be ceased in favour of ADSL2+.