cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSl connection keeps dropping

Zasps
Grafter

ADSl connection keeps dropping

It started yesterday. I'd be browsing or playing a game online, and I'd suddenly lose the internet connection. Must have happened at least a dozen times yesterday, and it's already happended three times this morning. First couple of times I sitched off the router, but now I just leave it. The connection recovers after a couple of minutes.

Is this a genral fault that is happening in my area (and will be resolved in due time), or is it a router problem?

11 REPLIES 11
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: ADSl connection keeps dropping

First suggestion - check your router logs to see if it is a wireless or xDSL problem.

John
Zasps
Grafter

I don't know how to check router logs. The router is a wired Thomson ST516V6.

jab1
Legend

Never heard of that router - it must be really ancient. Normally, you log into the router and either look for some mention of logs/data, or merely open each link until you find something that looks something like the picture below (taken from my TG582n router).

Are you using an ethernet cable or wireless connection to your computer?DSL Drop  2010-2102.PNG

John
pvmb
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Suggest you first check the phone line. On landline phone dial 17070 Option 2, 'Quiet Line Test'. Line should be sensibly quiet, with no crackling or noticeable fizzing sounds. Jiggle all BT phone connectors - where plugged to phone sockets - around to check contacts. If noisy these can usually be sorted out by several plugging/unpluggings (will break ADSL connection if from router). Also tap consumer faceplate (bottom half) on BT Openworld master socket to check for crackling or noise.

What next? Depends on results of above.

Zasps
Grafter

Tried the quiet line test. No crackling.

Found log. Each disconnection/reconnection lasts for about 75 seconds. I had no problems for about six hours, then it started happening again. This is the sequence I'm getting:-

xDSL linestate down

GRP Default destination is not routed anymore via gateway

FIREWALL event (1 of 1): created rules

xDSL linestate down

PPP link down (Internet)

xDSL linestate up

PPP CHAP Receive challenge (rhost = acc-aln1.clx)

PPP CHAP Chap receive success : authentication ok

PPP link up (Internet)

GRP Default destination is routed via gateway

FIREWALL event (1 of 1): deleted rules

I left out the numbers.

Wired router.

Could it be the firewall causing this? Not aware that I've altered anything.

If it's no good by Monday I'll get onto Plusnet about it. Or maybe someone from Plusnet will see this and help.

jab1
Legend

@Zasps I didn't think it would be a phone line problem, as you didn't say use of the phone caused it.

To be honest, I've never seen that 'GRP' reference, so I've no idea what it means. How old is the router, btw? - although again I don't think that is the problem, it looks like a network error to me, but that is only a guess.

It isn't the firewall causing it - those references are common to a disconnect/reconnect occurrence.

I would certainly contact PN and get them to run a full check on your connection Monday.

John
Zasps
Grafter

Router is about ten years old.

No phone calls incoming/outgoing to cause problems.

Could it be the weather? It was freezing here yesterday, and today it's high winds. I don't know.

Thanks for replies. I'll see how it goes for tonight and tomorrow.

jab1
Legend

It's time to replace the router - at that age, it is going to struggle in today's environment.

Again, I doubt it is the weather, although extremes can have some effect, but I still think it is a network problem.

John
pvmb
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@Zasps wrote:

Tried the quiet line test. No crackling.

How long for? Did you jiggle the BT Connector plugs around to check for a poor connection?

@Zasps wrote:

Found log. Each disconnection/reconnection lasts for about 75 seconds. I had no problems for about six hours, then it started happening again. This is the sequence I'm getting:-

xDSL linestate down

GRP Default destination is not routed anymore via gateway

1. xDSL linestate down

2. GRP Default destination is not routed anymore via gateway

I'd have thought 2 simply follows from 1. Still need to explain 1, the cause of the disconnection. The rest is just the router reestablishing connection.

When ADSL is working OK, can you ring your landline from you mobile? Alternatively use the Ring Back service 17070 Option 1 'Ring Back'. ADSL should continue to work, if not it would suggest some problem with the line or ADSL filters.

Assuming no problems at the exchange, that would seem to me to leave: a failing router, or router power supply problem, or electrical supply problem/interference in your home.

Alternatively, RF electrical interference directly affecting your line. Any recent signs of faulty electrical equipment in your home, or recently acquired electrical equipment? Any sign of recent changes outside your home?

Zasps
Grafter

I've had my PC on continuously for the last ten hours. Haven't experienced any disconnections, and the log isn't showing any. Fingers crossed whatever caused the problem isn't going to reappear.

Summary:- On the 25th and 26th I experienced a lot of disconnections/reconnections, each one lasting about 75 seconds. No problems on the 27th.

jab1
Legend

@Zasps Keep an eye on it - it could have been a local exchange issue which is now sorted, or some other network problem - I guess we'll never know.

John