Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL2+

HughA
Grafter

ADSL2+

Hi
My exchange is 21CN but I believe my connection is ADSL rather than ADSL2+ (upstream sync is 448Kbps) .  Would there be any improvement in speed or reliability if I was using ADSL2+?  I have a long line to the exchange, 58dB attenuation.
HughA
8 REPLIES 8
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: ADSL2+

If you have the router set to Auto (which is what it should be), when the router syncs with the exchange it will start by trying ADSL2+, then ADSL2 then ADSL1 until it finds one that works properly. It's possible that you might be able to force ADSL2+ but with a long line that might give you a more unstable connection.
Have you tried connecting the router to the test socket and looking at how it connects then?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi HughA,
You can check your capable speeds <a href="http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome">here</a>. When download speeds are below certain thresholds(normally4MB/s) then re-grading to ADSL2+ is not something we would normally do, as you could even see a slight downturn in your broadband performance, so staying on ADSL1 would perform better which would be the most likely case in your current situation.
Chris
HughA
Grafter

Thanks for the replies.

My router is on auto and results in the test socket show no improvement.
I guess what I'm getting is as good as it is going to get!
HughA
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

It could be slightly better, it could be slightly worse, you won't really know until you try. And you can't try ADSL2 if the exchange is configured to run your line as ADSL1.
I have a similarly long line, it performed much the same when it was accidentally temporarily running on ADSL2 for a week about a year ago. Something even decided to lower the target SNR margin on returning to ADSL1. But people on the legacy Unlimited package aren't allowed ADSL2.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: ejs
But people on the legacy Unlimited package aren't allowed ADSL2.

AFAIK there's nothing stopping legacy Unlimited customers moving to ADSL2+  Huh

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Quote from: chrispurvey
When download speeds are below certain thresholds(normally4MB/s)

That should of course be "4Mb/s". A "4MB/s" connection would be very fast!
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Quote from: Bob
AFAIK there's nothing stopping legacy Unlimited customers moving to ADSL2+  Huh

That's not what I was told when I asked to give it a go not that long ago. I was pointed to this page: http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/adsl2+_faq.shtml (Part 3).
Also, if you're on ADSL2, doesn't setting your router to ADSL1 achieve the same result as asking someone to ask BT to set the line back to ADSL1?
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

The legacy unlimited package was designed for customers on ADSL1. Also depending on your connection speeds it is not always something we would do, if your line can't support speeds above 4Mb, we'll provide you with ADSL Broadband. Although this has a lower maximum speed, it will make sure you get a stable service and a better all-round experience. Are you looking to go to ADSL2+? I'd be more than happy to have a look at your account.
Also setting your router to ADSL1 would then give you the same effect of the line being on ADSL1.