cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL2+ to Fibre questions

Warehouse13

ADSL2+ to Fibre questions

I am currently on PlusNet Unlimited and as my years deal is up am thinking of changing to fibre, however I don't know much about it so have a couple of questions:
1) I have a TP-Link TD-W8970 Router/Modem (http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?categoryid=&model=TD-W8970) which has an Ethernet WAN port so can I still use this router?
2) Do I need to take up the extension cable offer?  My router is currently about 15 feet from the master socket, as that is where the nearest mains socket is, and there is a front door between the nearest mains socket!
3) Can you still just plug your phone into the master socket as usual?  I use an extension to get the phone/answering machine to the second nearest mains socket.
4) My PC is connected from upstairs via an Ethernet cable, will this still be feasible?
5) I currently get utorrent upload speeds of 35 - 40 kB/s will this improve?
I've a attached a quick sketch of the room to give an idea of the issues...
4 REPLIES 4
Wassie

Re: ADSL2+ to Fibre questions

Hi Warehouse13
1) you are provided with a new router but can use your old one if it supports PPoE
2) yes you do need to take up the data extension cable offer As you will be supplied with a separate fibre modem which needs to be powered alongside your router (unless you move the power to the other side of your front door)
3)yes you can still plug your phone into the master socket
4) if you are still using your router or the Plusnet one then you will of course have RJ45 sockets for the Ethernet cable
5) the BT Open Reach line speed estimation tool will confirm the extent of speed improvement.
Warehouse13

Thanks for the info.  I've decided to take the plunge and have submitted my order!  I chose the no hardware option and the free extension option.  Looking forward to the improvement as they are quoting 79Mb down/10Mb up!
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Hi Warehouse13, When the time comes to setup the 8970 for Fibre you may find that you need to force it to use the EWAN port , see this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,115682.0.html

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Warehouse13

Thanks for the help folks.
My Fibre Broadband is all installed and working.  The TP-Link Router is working like a charm with the BT OpenReach Modem.  I'm getting 74Mbps down, 14Mbps Up... what a difference!  No more arguing over the iPlayer pausing, or downloads taking forever!  At one point we had the iPlayer running on the TV, a torrent downloading/uploading at full speed, a video live streaming over the net to our PC, our NAS box doing an automatic firmware update and were surfing on the Net on a Tablet all at the same time... nothing paused, hiccuped or timed out! Bliss!!  Thank you PlusNet!