Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL2+ slower than max

snailspace
Grafter

ADSL2+ slower than max

Hi everyone.
Could anyone advise on speed issues since changing to ADSL2+
On max I had a stable connection synching at 8128 giving steady D/L speeds about 6-6.5 Mb
Router (Thompson 585v7) plugged into (filtered) master socket. Ethernet connection to main PC, wireless to laptop.
Quiet line test good
Current d/l speed is 4.79Mb acoording to www.speedtest.net (see pic1)
Router stats are:
Uptime: 0 days, 4:22:17
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 443 / 15,733
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 14.0 / 27.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 29.0 / 6.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 32 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 4,294,967,264 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 4,294,967,264 / 6,861
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 2,307

Srely these error counts can't be right
BT speedtest shows 3687kbbs with aprofile of 13000  (see btspeed)
PN profile is also 13000
Speed seems to be gradually getting worse
Any help would be much appreciated
Terry
45 REPLIES 45
zubel
Community Veteran

Re: ADSL2+ slower than max

First up - ignore the extremely large error values on the Thompson upstream - it's a known bug.
Secondly - have you tried restarting your router recently?  As both the PN and BT profiles match, there should be nothing restricting your speed.  However, they may have only recently become aligned and this often requires a reconnection to pick up the increased speed.
Restart your router, then run another speedtest and lets see what's up
Cheers
B.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

Well your synch speed and profile(s) are pretty good.
With regrads to the error counts, you can ignore the upstream ones thats just the router misreporting !! the downstream one of 6861 (in 4 hours) yes, is a little high but not excessively so.
Was your test wired or wireless? and have you looked at tweaking RWIN for your higher speeds
although this
This http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/btsupplier/3860298-is-traffic-shaping-on-21cn-worse-than-on-ipstrea... makes interesting reading ...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

snailspace
Grafter

MisterW / Barry Zubel
Thanks foe quick replies.
Earlier test was done wireless bt have done quite a few in the las day or two both wired and wireless.
Router was last restarted 9AM today.
Have tried tweaking  RWIN etc as per kitz.co.uk and others without significant difference.
Have now restarted router again.
Stas are:
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 0:00:55
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 443 / 15,689
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 13.5 / 27.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 27.0 / 6.5
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 18
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 7 / 2
Speedtest.net gives 4.81Mb d/l
BT speedtester gives:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 3597 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 2000-21000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :15688 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 443 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 13000 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 14.98:25.22:59.8 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.
As you can see both synch speed and download speed are continuing to slowly decline.
Any ideas????
snailspace
Grafter

UPDATE
D/l speed seems stable at 5 Mb but snch speed and profile have dropped right down
BT speed test now gives the following:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 3713 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 1000-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :6656 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 443 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 5500 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 15.22:21.52:63.26 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.
The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.

HELP..  I switched to 21CN to take advabtage of the higher speeds on offer -  this is now 20% slower than I was getting on ADSLmax and getting worse.
Any input would be appreciated as I just don't understand what's going on here
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Your DSL Connection Rate :6656 Kbps

That synch speed looks suspiciously like a 'banded profile'.
Can you post your router stats again please.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

You are indeed on a banded profile between 3Mb and 6Mb, we can request this to be removed but with the amount of disconnections showing on your line at the moment that request is likely to be turned down.
I'd suggest raising a fault to us at http://faults.plus.net as a dropping connection fault and once that's resolved we can request the banding be removed.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

How on earth did the DLM go from a non-interleaved 6db target SNR yesterday, to a banded 3-6Mb today in one fell swoop!!
What happened to the logic of applying interleaving first, then raising the target in 3db steps to 15db then if that doesnt work , finally applying a banded profile ....
Edit: having looked at the DLM documentation it does appear there is a direct route to a 3Mb-6Mb banded profile if the line is considered to be a 'flapping line'. However according to the documentation
'A line would need 10 retrains or more in any rolling 1 hour period to be flagged as a flapping line'

Is this line really that unstable ?

snailspace
Grafter

Thanks for the input, Guys
Latest router stats are:
Uptime: 0 days, 10:00:39
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 443 / 6,656
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 13.5 / 27.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 29.0 / 23.0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 4,294,967,264 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 4,294,967,264 / 50
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 15

D/l speed is still 5Mb  (see screenshot)
Will raise this as a fault and see what happens and keep you updated
Quote from: Chris

I'd suggest raising a fault to us at http://faults.plus.net as a dropping connection fault and once that's resolved we can request the banding be removed.

Mister W.
I agree- I didn't think the line was that unstable either, but there must be something the matter.
Still seems a bit extreme.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Prior to the last couple of days the line was quite stable, however since then you can see a number of disconnections.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
snailspace
Grafter

Thanks for that, Chris
I see what you mean, but it still doesn't look bad enough to flag to me.
'A line would need 10 retrains or more in any rolling 1 hour period to be flagged as a flapping line'

Have raised a fault as you suggested - now going through 'detailed check' for the next couple of hours.  Not very happy about having to turn off the firewall though
Cheers, Terry
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Cheers Chris,
As snailspace says , I dont see anything like 10/hour on there but its a bit difficult to see whether some of the drops are multiple ones. Any chance of posting the raw data ?
@snailspace , How many of those drops correspond to manual router restarts whislst doing tests or normal router poweroff/on ?
The DLM is 'supposed' to be able to differentiate between manual or forced drops ( according to BTw ) but I suspect in reality in can't.
I suspect in this case the DLM is being rather over eager to force a banded profile...

snailspace
Grafter

Mister W
I'm not sure exactly - I'd guess half a dozen or so over that period
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

From the graph I can only count about 9 drops since Saturday.

snailspace
Grafter

@ MisterW.  Me too. I reckon per 5 or six of those were down to me but that's about all.
Have raised a fault - done initial checks - done connection checks etc.  Results are
Broadband Fault Checker - Connection checks [ Completed ]
The Connection checks could not be completed
Test result summary: Inconclusive
We have not been able to complete the checks of your broadband service. This may be the result of a fault in the testing system rather than your service.
We will continue to monitor your fault, please provide more information or further updates on the occurance of your fault. If your fault has not re-occured since our testing, please close the ticket and confirm that you are satisfied that the problem is no longer occuring.
Script User Automated Script Pool 12:05pm, Thursday 10th June 2010
Your support request has been escalated to the correct team for review.

I have no idea what further information is required - it doesn't say on the ticket. Any ideas?