cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL2+ slow upload speeds - low sync rate?

davedean
Dabbler

ADSL2+ slow upload speeds - low sync rate?

Hello all,
I'm struggling with slow upload speeds on my ADSL2+ connection. Tests with a variety of online speed test sites show typical upload speeds of ~0.3 Mbps.
My router (Billion 7800DXL) is showing an achievable upstream sync rate of 1092 Kbps but an actual sync rate of just 445 Kbps.
I assumed this was limited by the default upstream cap, but I contacted PlusNet support via chat who confirmed my upstream connection is "uncapped".
The router is connected to a high quality splitter, which is connected to the BT master socket. There are no phones or other devices connected at all. Nice and simple.
Does anyone know why my router is only syncing at less than half the achievable upstream rate?

Upstream link statistics:
Mode: ADSL2+
Line Coding (Trellis) On
SNR Margin (dB) 31.5
Attenuation (dB) 16.8
Output Power (dBm) 12.6
Attainable Rate (Kbps) 1092
Rate (Kbps) 445
Downstream link statistics:
Mode: ADSL2+
Line Coding (Trellis) On
SNR Margin (dB) 6.1
Attenuation (dB) 27.0
Output Power (dBm) 0.0
Attainable Rate (Kbps) 16740
14 REPLIES 14
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: ADSL2+ slow upload speeds - low sync rate?

Looks capped to me.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

and me!. I'd try support again, hopefully this time you might get someone who knows what he's talking about...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

davedean
Dabbler

Thanks for your replies. I also thought it was capped, so was surprised when PlusNet support said it wasn't. I'll try them again and see if I have any success.
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 30

Hi,
I've checked the product on the line and it's definitely uncapped with BT Wholesale and we do no upstream capping on ADSL products at our side, might be best to speak to someone in our technical support team though if you feel it's too low Smiley
davedean
Dabbler

Thanks Darkfire.
Is there any way of opening a case online? There is currently a 45 minute wait time for technical support.
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'd say chat would be the best option to get this checked, unfortunately I cannot see our tech queue for the chat system but should get through much quicker
davedean
Dabbler

Is this support page out of date?
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/broadband_speeds.shtml

Type Download speed Upload speed
ADSL2+ (Residential products) up to 17Mb/s up to 1.3Mb/s**
ADSL2+ circuits are provisioned at 448Kb/s as standard. This can be uncapped on request to provide a maximum of up to 1.3Mb/s.

My upstream is syncing at 445 Kb/s which sounds very similar to the cap reported above.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

If it's not capped, then would someone like to explain why the upstream margin is 31.5!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

That's not been I'm effect since before I started, every adsl2 order goes through as 24 down, uncapped up, including your own line.
Thanks for noticing that though. Ill get that passed on so it can be updated.
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've left for the evening but I'll check a few other things our side in the morning. There are some old settings on our systems that can cause this to happen but when I looked before they weren't in effect here.
The physical line is definitely set as uncapped though Smiley
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

That page may be out of date, although plenty of people still seem to need to ask for their upstream to be uncapped.
I suppose Plusnet's records and BTWholesale's settings are configured for uncapped upstream, but that's not how the line is actually operating. Possibly your port on the line card at the exchange is not working properly, Plusnet could try resetting it. Or they could try capping the upstream, then uncapping it, each step might take a day or so to complete.
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It does seem this situation was due to upstream capping enabled with BT Wholesale, the forum account and the adsl connection in question were separate accounts.
The order to remove that cap is in place and will be gone by Monday for you

davedean
Dabbler

Thank you everyone for your replies and assistance. Very much appreciated.
soutter

Plusnet have been failing to provide an adequate service to me for two years.  No amount of promises make up for the fact that the broadband service they provide is dreadful..  Their main reply is to want to send out an engineer at £60 to see if the equipment in the house is working correctly.  I paid A BT ENGINEER to come in and check the installation for £20 in his hand, he checked and said the fault lies with Plusnet and they are well ware of the fact that many areas don't have the capacity. 
PLUSNET is crap