cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL2+, should it be faster than this?

doob
Dabbler

Re: ADSL2+, should it be faster than this?

The connection has been stable with no disconnections (by me or otherwise) for more than 24 hours now. Attenuation is 26dB, and SNR margin is 12dB (occaisionally 11dB), but the speed is only 11740kbps. How long would I expect to wait for it to attempt a higher speed (or does it not work like that)? I'm sure my line ought to be able to support it. As an example, this page http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/calc/calculator.php given my line stats, says that speeds should be between 15000kbps and 18000kbps.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Somebody from Plusnet will probably come along and tell you this but you need the SNR margin to be 6dB before the line speed could be 15 to 18Mbps.  If your line now remains stable for a few days Plusnet will probably agree to reset the SNR for you (though it should eventually reset itself if you wait long enough).
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Being realistic I think 18mb is over-optimistic for your line especially as we've given you an 11mb estimate and I know you've received speeds closer to that in the past too.
We can of course try setting the SNR margin as ReedRichards says but that cause disconnections, don't mind giving that a go for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

I was in your same shoes before when I was sync at 8128K stable for a years before switch over to ADSL2+ and thing went wrong. As the fault tech guy from plusnet investigated it and agreed to turn off DLM and set lower SNR to 3dB and it was more stable and higher speed.
Before on ADSL:
Downstream line: 29dB
Downstream snr: 16dB
Sync: 8128K
Now on ADSL2+:
Downstream line: 32dB
Downstream snr: 3dB
Sync: 17455K
But I managed to tweak snr down to 0.5dB and it was solid stable and got sync rate of 19583K
Perhap you could ask plusnet to raise a fault and let the fault tech guy investigated for u. But U have to plug your router to the test master socket for them to find out what the higher speed your line can get and they might disabled DLM and lower your SNR to 3dB.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
How long would I expect to wait for it to attempt a higher speed (or does it not work like that)?

Yep, it does work like that, the speeds may increase a little further after a 3 days of connectivity,

I thought the new 88.23% profile should rise every 12 hours ? Not 3 days (that for old 20CN only) if plusnet say plusnet profile will rise after 3 days then what the point of 21CN instant ip profile straight away. Very annoying for plusnet profile to pick it up within 3 days is unfair. I remember Joanne Pilson say the profile should rise every 12 hours after BT 88.23% instant profile before plusnet profile will rise every 12 hours.
doob
Dabbler

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
Being realistic I think 18mb is over-optimistic for your line especially as we've given you an 11mb estimate and I know you've received speeds closer to that in the past too.

Where does that 11mbps estimate come from? Is it based on the downstream attenuation or is it more complicated than that?
Also, should I be concerned that the downstream attenuation jumped from 17dB to 26dB on migration? Oldjim described that as "terrible".
I've leave it all alone for now, but might request an SNR reset at the beginning of next week if the connection has been stable but there's been no speed increase.
Thanks for your help.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Our profile should change within 12 hours, the actual IP profile should be calculated at 88.3% on each resync.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: Chris
Our profile should change within 12 hours, the actual IP profile should be calculated at 88.3% on each resync.

Well mine doesn't work! 13 hours and no sign of plusnet profile change!
Chris
Legend

Hence me saying 'should' Wink There are still some occasions where we aren't receiving the line reports that we're working on.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend

in fact...
Downstream line: 32dB
Downstream snr: 3dB
Sync: 17455K

Your Plusnet profile is 15400 and that's correct for the sync speed you've quoted/.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

No ingorne that, that was old one!
The new one is here: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,106670.0.html
doob
Dabbler

Quote from: Chris

So if my line has been stable for 12 or more hours, in theory your profile should have updated and it would be worth me reconnecting to see if I get a higher speed?
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Don't bother as I did try this, but still no difference. The only way is to ask Plusnet Staff to adjusted plusnet profile after 12 hours is rather annoying. The updated itself doesn't work ! Plusnet need to fix this. If you do re-connection then plusnet staff will tell you to wait for another 12 hours to get it stable before plusnet profile will updated automatically but (If it doesn't work then the only way is ask plusnet staff to adjusted it)
Chris
Legend

Plusnet need to fix this.

Please see the other thread where I've replied to you, that gives the reason for our side not updating.
doob
Dabbler

Well, it looks like my Draytek modem wasn't quite up to the job. I'm now using a ZyXEL P-660R-D1, which has been synced at 15817kbps for over 18 hours. I've also just restarted it and it's now synced at 16084kpbs :). The BT Speedtest site says:
Download speed achieved during the test was - 9.33 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 14.19 Mbps

However my Plusnet profile still says:
Estimated line speed:
   8Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) - Checked on 2012-06-15 10:35:55
Current line speed:
   10.3 Mb

So it looks like my profile needs resetting to match the BT one. Can someone do this for me please?
Edit: Could I also have my SNR margin set to 6dB as well (it's been 9/10dB over the last 18 hours)? I'd like to see if this modem can hold an even faster connection than this. I assume if it doesn't the target SNR will automatically go back up?