cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL2+ question

Bigears

ADSL2+ question

Pardon my technical ignorance.
I'm due to have a line installed in January to receive an up to 8Mb service. The local exchange is ADSL2+ enabled, is it likely that the line speed will be better than it was several years ago when I last had a BT line connection  to the internet?
My second question. When BT gets round to FTTC I assume this means the street cabinets located nearby will be connected to the exchange by fibre. Will my landline be connected to one of these so that only the last 200 yds or so is copper?  Might I get a better connection, say up to 16Mb?
5 REPLIES 5
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: ADSL2+ question

If the exchange is 21CN ADSL2+ enabled you should be put on that which depending upon how far you are from the exchange could give you better than 8MB speeds.
What does the BT wholesale checker say for you?
You should be connected to a nearby cabinet and if that gets FTTC you should get a LOT faster than 16MB.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Bigears

Thanks for the speed answer. I don;t have a functioning BT line at the moment but the wholesale speed given in my PlusNet quote was 3-8 probably 5.
Will my line automatically be connected to the fastest non fibre option available?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

It should be
If it isn't a quick post here will get it fixed
However given the estimate you may be put on ADSL1 on 21CN - only time will tell
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

ADSL1 is "up to 8Mbps" so based on your opening post that is probably what you are being provisioned on. Based on the estimate you were given that seems an appropriate starting part. The implied distance by road (likely line length) is such that ADSL2/2+ is unlikely to benefit you and could, in fact, give lower speeds and potential line instability.
The picture on this Internode page compares the technologies (blue vs green areas). Though Internode is an Australian ISP the technology is the same.
Once your connection is operational posting router stats here will enable forum members to advise further.
David
Bigears

Thanks for the replies chaps. I'm by no means as line speed obsessive as long as it's not crawling and falling over I'll probably be happy.  Smiley