cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL2+ query

anniesboy
Rising Star

ADSL2+ query

Does this mean ADSL2+  is enabled on my exchange?
From Sam Knows I get this  (21CN WBC status:
Enabled)
From PNet exchange information I get this (BT have advised that no current planned date for WBC on 21CN exists)
My speed is fairly poor at present ,if ADSL2+ is at the exchange would it help? if it is available
31 REPLIES 31
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: ADSL2+ query

Hi anniesboy,
Your exchange is enabled for ADSL2+, however with such a long line we would not recommend it. Your SNR is quite high at the moment and this won't be helping you to get the best speed. How is your connection set up? Are you using extension cables/sockets? Do you have a test socket you can plug into.
Jojo Smiley
anniesboy
Rising Star

Hi Jojo,
I dont have a test socket,my router is connected by a hardwire from a phone junction box , where it enters my house.
I notice that FTTC is scheduled for December this year is that likely to benefit me.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It will help without a doubt, as the connection from the exchange to the green box is fibre (so relatively speaking no signal loss as opposed to the copper wires your connection currently runs on). The copper then runs from the green box to your premises.
The only thing you need to be wary of is that while your exchange may have a date for fibre, it may not be that all cabinets (green boxes) are upgraded at the time. FTTC will only be available to you if your local cabinet is one of those that is upgraded.
anniesboy
Rising Star

OK thanks, I will check things out at the end of the year.
anniesboy
Rising Star

Thanks Adam, I thought as much.
My speed has always been as posted, my exchange is due for FTTC in December. That "may" improve things.
Im not sure if anything will improve speed as I live 2 miles from the exchange. I live an old house with no BT master socket ,just a junction box where the cable enters the house and extensions star wired from that.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You are actually on a fixed speed product - moving to Max ADSL should improve things judging by the noise margin
anniesboy
Rising Star

Old Jim , excuse my lack of knowledge. See this earlier post of mine.
http://is.gd/buayiA
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Your earlier thread didn't get round to asking you to post your router stats which are relevant to your current "poor" speeds. I think it would help to have the information in the present thread merged onto the end of the previous one, so all the information is in the one thread. Are you happy if the mods do that (assuming they are happy to do so)?
21CN/ADSL2+ (the topic of the other thread) is not going to help, but moving to it but on ADSL1 is worth considering.
David
David
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

There have been four main phases of implementation of ADSL by BT.
1. Fixed speed products (256Kb, 512Kb, 1Mb, and a bit later 2Mb). Which of those you were put on depended on the line length.
2. MaxDSL which gives up to 8Mb speeds and upload of 448Kb (and an option Max Premium with an upload of 832Mb). This was launched in March 2006.
3. 21CN ADSL2+ which is still being progressively rolled out to the exchanges.
4. Fibre FTTC and the newest FTTP.
You are currently on a phase 1 product. You asked previously about ADSL2+ (phase 3) - as JoJo correctly pointed out on a line of your length that wouldn't work. However as Jim suggested, moving to MaxDSL (phase 2) would be likely to give you some benefit. With your attenuation an IP Profile of 1500 could be expected.
Edit: PS It's 100% certain the Pro add-an won't help you.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
anniesboy
Rising Star

Thanks for the replies thus far.
I'm quite happy for merging of posts.
So Max DSL  might help,so hopefully a PNet rep can progress that if possable / advisable
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Topics sorted and merged
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Where's my reply gone? I could do with reading that again please Smiley
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
anniesboy
Rising Star

Adam I noticed it went missing when posts were merged.
Basically from what I can recall ,you suggested that Pro Add would not help with speed ,and suggested my raising a fault if speed was the issue.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Did you mean this one in the Pro add on worth it? thread where the merged replies originated?
IMO the posts left in that thread could also have been merged in here since the question was answered (as 'no it wouldn't') but I think the underlying reason for the question was the same as that in the present thread.
David