cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL2 or 2+ ?

DavidUK
Dabbler

ADSL2 or 2+ ?

I think my Netgear DG834Gv3 might be dying.  I have a Netgear DG834Gv4 ADSL2+ router I can use, but lots of websites often don't load properly (eg Hotmail), or hang for several minutes before loading (including Plusnet broadband checker pages).
I see it is set to auto mode, but switching it to ADSL2 instead seems to have improved things.  This might be my imagination of course as it's all pretty inconsistent.  Is there any logical reason to suspect it will make a difference?
Thanks
David
8 REPLIES 8
Apprentice
Grafter

Re: ADSL2 or 2+ ?

Is there any logical reason to suspect it will make a difference?

Depends what your downstream attenuation is, ADSL2+ doesn't work too well on longer lines so forcing the router to connect in ADSL2 mode can be beneficial.
DavidUK
Dabbler

My downstream attenuation is 30.5db.  My noise margin is 3db in the test socket with a filter and one wired phone connected at the filter.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Did forcing an ADSL2 connection result in significantly reduced sync speed, the main downside I'd expect from that with your attenuation?
What browser are you using?
Problems with some websites not loading correctly can be caused by mismatched MTU settings on the router and PC. Alternatively, have you by any chance got Trusteer installed and set it to monitor connections to problem sites?
David
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The options available for DSL Mode on the v3 are Auto (Multi-mode), ADSL (G.DMT), and ADSL2+. It doesn't give a choice between ADSL2 and ADSL2+.
DavidUK
Dabbler

Quote from: spraxyt
Did forcing an ADSL2 connection result in significantly reduced sync speed, the main downside I'd expect from that with your attenuation?
What browser are you using?
Problems with some websites not loading correctly can be caused by mismatched MTU settings on the router and PC. Alternatively, have you by any chance got Trusteer installed and set it to monitor connections to problem sites?

Yes, the speed did drop.  However I can see this evening that doing so has not really helped as I couldn't access many sites, not even this one (at the time, router says it is connected and all lights are up, but I couldn't open this site until I'd rebooted it.
Firefox, IE and Chrome all have same problems.
MTU = 1458 on router and PC.
Not using Trusteer
DavidUK
Dabbler

Quote from: ejs
The options available for DSL Mode on the v3 are Auto (Multi-mode), ADSL (G.DMT), and ADSL2+. It doesn't give a choice between ADSL2 and ADSL2+.

No, this issue refers to the v4 as the v3 is very flakey.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

If you set MTU on router and PC to 1400 does it make any difference. What operating system is on your PC?
David
DavidUK
Dabbler

Thanks for your interest.  Can we put this on hold?  I have a new Netgear DGN1000 to try and will report back when I have new information.