cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL2+ on a long line

Denzil
Grafter

ADSL2+ on a long line

So, I got an email from PN the other day telling me I would be automatically upgraded to ADSL2+ within the next five weeks. This started ringing alarm bells, because my line is 63dB, and I was under the impression it would be worse with ADSL2+, higher frequency signals having higher attenuation and all that. I questioned it, and was told that there would be an estimated increase from 1Mbps to 1.5Mbps.
Now, another half a meg would be great, but I don't want to risk making it worse. Has anyone else with a similar line gone through this, and what did you find?
5 REPLIES 5
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: ADSL2+ on a long line

From other posts it appears that BTw are removing the ADSL1 product on 21CN and so we will all be stuck with ADSL2 in the near future.
For what it is worth the speed charts I have seen have shown no real change at normal high attenuations
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Denzil,
[quote=your ticket]We have good news for you. Your telephone line is in an area that can now benefit from our new broadband network (this is known as 21CN)... You will remain on the same 'up to 8Mbps' speeds that you have currently
This means you will be on ADSL1 on 21CN
Quote from: Oldjim
From other posts it appears that BTw are removing the ADSL1 product on 21CN and so we will all be stuck with ADSL2 in the near future.

Have you got links to any of those posts Jim?
Jojo Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Nope and I may have misunderstood an earlier discussion  Embarrassed
Denzil
Grafter

Quote from: Joanne
HI Denzil,
[quote=your ticket]We have good news for you. Your telephone line is in an area that can now benefit from our new broadband network (this is known as 21CN)... You will remain on the same 'up to 8Mbps' speeds that you have currently

This means you will be on ADSL1 on 21CN
Err, now I'm even more confused. If I'm going from ADSL1 to ADSL1, how come I am being told I might get an extra 0.5 Mbps?
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: Denzil

Err, now I'm even more confused. If I'm going from ADSL1 to ADSL1, how come I am being told I might get an extra 0.5 Mbps?

Simple
BT marketing we were all given download figures we will never get
puddy