Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL2+ is nothing to write home about

SEWERWOLF
Grafter

slight increase in download.

nothing to right home about.....  looks like the future could be virgin.
look like BT and sister companys are making rash promises to get customers to stay with them...
5 REPLIES 5
SEWERWOLF
Grafter

Quote from: SEWERWOLF
cheers for that guys, will get it removed straight away.
I hope to see a fair speed increase, hope about 5 - 6 download and about 1.5 uplaod

Quote from: Jameseh
I'm afraid that reastically, an increase like that is unlikely.
If you post your router stats, we can give you an idea of what you could expect.

so what your saying is with a possible download of 20meg i will be lucky to get 1/4 of the speed.
so imo that means adsl2 is not worth ****.
[Moderator's note: Added quote from posts in the Speed Thread to show what the Jameseh quote responded to David (spraxyt)]
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Typical relative performance comparisons between ADSL and ADSL2+ are illustrated by the blue and green shaded areas on the Internode graph on this page. Sadly for those a long way from the exchange the benefits from ADSL2+ are small. For the moment the limitation is the long phone line from the exchange to your home.
David
SEWERWOLF
Grafter

so what your saying is adsl2 is only any good if your next to the exchange.  looks like broadband companys making money for providing a service thay cant provide.  other countries get far better speeds and nearer to what the supplier says they can get.  look like bt and sister companies should start to invest into new lines for customers. we pay far a service you cant provide then use a get out clause UP TO.  GIVE US THE SERVICE WE PAY FOR.
[Moderator's note: Full quote of previous post removed as per Forum Rules David (spraxyt)]
scootie
Grafter

Re: ADSL2+ is nothing to write home about

as the picture stands you get slight but welcome increase in the say 1.5mb and below cat moving to adsl2+ and beetween 2ish and 4mb lines you will see 500kbps to 1mb increase on adsl2+ if you lucky or nothing at all apart from upload worst case.
no big speed increase on long lines untill fibre to cab(green box in your street or close by) but dont hold your breath as BTw will target high profit areas first with the roll out and new mobile broadband technology is going to be what the big cheeses things ok to get all house holds to get 2mb min speed but mobile's not great for time sensitive traffic and i wouldnt want it for my home connection.
plusnet cant help this problem thats why they have to say UP TO 8mb and UP TO 24mb when adsl2+ is a plusnet product on sale
whats you attention on your line?
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: ADSL2+ is nothing to write home about

I think you are being optimistic about ADSL2/ADSL22+
From experience of this trial, it could be upto 1Mbps worse and possibly a little / a lot of an improvement.
There doesn't appear to be a single figure (such as attenuation) which can be be used as a predictor of your performance.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."