cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL2 dropping speed in half

garyten

ADSL2 dropping speed in half

Since Sunday i have had my download speed go up and down from 13.5 Mbps to 5.18 Mbps.
I just got the ADSl2+ upgrade on or around Saturday 3rd of march Approx, as i first noticed the Sync speed in my router(Netgear DGN2200) showing as13546 kbps, so re-booted the router and done a speedtest and got 11.3 mbps down load and 0.825 mbps up load. download.
                                down    up
Line Attenuation 17.5 db 4.2 db
Noise Margin     9.9 db 7.5
My speed gradually increased through Sunday to 11.4 down load and 0.924 up load.
BT IP profile saying 15.4 Mbps
Monday went back to Pre ADSL2 speeds of 5.18 Mbps download BUT the Upload speeds stayed the same
BT IP profile says 6.8Mbps
Noise margin increases to 24
I re-boot  twice but no difference.

Tuesday all up again and even faster 13.6 Mbps down load and 1.05 Mbps up load
BT IP profile showing a drop to 14.8 mbps and upload of 0.823 Mbps
Snr noise margin steady at 9.8 @
Tuesday Evening i notice router Syc speed reports 6656 again.
Speed test confirms download speed at 5.18 Mbps again AGAIN the Upload speed are even faster at 1.1 Mbps
SNR noisr margin back up to 25 again.
Now Friday im still at the same figures, stuck at my pre ADSL2 speed of 5.18 download and my new ADSL2 upload speed of 1.02 Mbps
Bt IP profile now says 5.87 download, and 0.823 Mbps upload.
SNR back up to 24
What should i do ?
Im in the10 day training period, should i just let it finish?
Why do i get 13.5 Mbps on Sunday and Tuesday, then less than Half that for the last 3 days?
Could or even should i be, rebooting my router to try and reset something, ive read of people doing this once a day during the training period.
My Netgear router has the option to change from AUTO, ADSL, ADSL2, or ADSL2+. Im using ADSL2+ at the moment, should i leave it in AUTO ?
My attenuation has remained constant at around 18.
Im supposed to be able to get around 17Mbps with my figures, but i would settle for around 14 or 15 Mbps.
The bit im really confused with is the download speed at my old ADSL level, and the new ADSL2 upload speed.
I would appreciate if i  knew what i should be doing, or what not to do, if anything, during the training period
Many thanks for any advise given,
Gary.
9 REPLIES 9
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: ADSL2 dropping speed in half

Hi Gary,
unless it became unusable during the 10 days I would say see how it goes. I wouldn't say rebooting would affect things too much but I wouldn't do it too often. I believe rebooting during daylight hours is the most effective, so if you're going to do it, do it then.
Jojo Smiley
garyten

Ok thank you JoJo.
3 days on the lower ADSL speed does seem a rather long time to be training, given that i was syncing at nearly 3 times the speed im at now, with no drop outs or problems.
I was with Sky before Plusnet, on their LLU, and normally ranged between 6.8 and 7.3 Mbps, although ive only ever had a constant 5.2 Mbps with Plusnet, ( all pre ASDL2+)
I live about 500 Meters from my Exchange, about 1.2 Km line length Approx. ( Apparently ? )
I just thought that with my BT Ip profile originally showing near 14 Mbps and my Attenuation of 18, i must be good for more than the  5.18 Mbps im at now.
Just getting concerned that im going to get stuck with this lower download speed after my Training period. ( My upload Speeds appear to be still increasing, now at 1.2 Mbps)

My 10 Days are up around Monday, and i will reply, or raise a ticket.
Many thanks again.
Gary
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Give me a nudge on Monday then, Gary. I'll make sure it gets sorted for you Smiley
garyten

Sorry to Bump this, but im still stuck in low speed mode. (10 days training now over ?)
I think last Tuesday 6th something switched me off my (13.5 Mbps) ADSL2+ connection, and despite me doing re-boot once a day nothing has changed.
Bt speed test still reports 5.4 Mbps, instead of my previous 13.5Mbps. Downstream
They also report my IP profile as having a 7.15 Max Achievable Speed.
Download speed achieved during the test was - 5.42 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 2 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 5.87 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 987Kbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 832 Kbps

Plusnet Member center also show current line speed as 5.5 MB.

My stats at my Netgear DGN2200 are
                                down        up
Line Attenuation 18.0 db 4.5 db
Noise Margin 22.0 db  5.4 db
I dont believe i have any issues with my line, and i could still support around 14 - 15 Mbps under ADSL2+.
Thanks for any help.
Gary.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Gary,
Your line has been banded between 3328Kbps - 6656Kbps. I imagine that will be due to the line's performance during the training period. Can you tell me how your connection is set up? Are you using any extension cables/sockets? What router are you using? Do you have a test socket behind the master socket faceplate?
Jojo Smiley
garyten

Ok thanks Jo Jo.
I think its me
I'm using a Netgear DGN2200 router, and its wired directly to an ADSL Nation faceplate splitter, on the main phone socket, that seperates the house telephone from the broadband.
I do have a test socket. and i have tried that, with little difference.
I can also see the phone exchange at about 500 Meters away.
I have good router stats with Attenuation of 18, and SNR of 24, downstream, currently.
When i was syncing at 14 Mbps, i had Attenuation of 18 and SNR of 9.8.
I did sync reliably for about  2 days (Sat and Sun), until my partner switched the router off after i went to work on Sunday night. Things started to "mess" about after that.
Monday night / Early hours tuesday morning, no internet, i re-boot several times, and it comes back.
Tuesday Morning / Day, all going great at near full speed, 13.6 Mbps.
From Wed 7th until now on my "branded" ? profile, despite my Re -boots no further chance at the ADSL2 speeds again.
I think my problem here is ME.
I have re-booted the router several times, sometimes on the same day, ( a lot on the early hours of Tuesday 6th)  in a attempt to get it to Sync at the higher speeds.
I also re-booted the router several times trying PPoa and PPoe and LLC Vs VC, again attempting to resolve the reason for the sudden drop.
My partner had also switched the router off when i was going out (see below), to save electric, i told her to leave it on after that.
i was following advise from other forums, where i was under the impression that Re-boots of the router would improve or Re-sync the router on a fresh connection.
I now  realize that the idea of re-booting, appears to have caused the Banding on my line.
Please note, i didnt know i had been switched to ADSL2 until Saturday 3rd, and i may have been in 10 day training for many days before.
As a family we would normally switch everything off at night including the router, as they are all on the same wall socket, its just something we would do as a routine.
This routine, may have contributed to the "Drop out" at the exchange equipment.
Do i get a second chance at this?
Thanks,
Gary.

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Gary,
Yes, I could lift the banding. Just bear in mind that once I initiate the reset it will start a 10 day training period, so you wouldn't be able to raise any performance issues during that time. Let me know if you want me to go ahead.
Jojo Smiley
garyten

Yes Joanne that would be great.
Do i need to do anything  at my end, like Re-boot the router, or will it re-sync itself.
I have warned the family not to switch the router off at the mains, as they would normally do going to bed.
Hopefully this time, now that i know when its happening, i wont repeat any mistakes.
Thank you very much again, i cant thank you enough for all the support you've given.
Regards,
Gary
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Gary,
I've done that for you now. It can take 24 hours to take effect.
Jojo Smiley