Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL2+ - do I need a new router?

Torper
Dabbler

Re: ADSL2+ - do I need a new router?

Thank you for your further help.
The router is never switched off.  I had assumed that the 2hr 54 min uptime shown in the stats meant that that time had passed since it was last down, and that the "Loss of Signal (Local/Remote)" meant that I had lost signal 22 times.  I'm sure that the router is on for the major part of the day.
I've tried removing the Power line setup and then the ethernet cable from the router has been plugged into a filter which is connected via a short cable to the main socket.  It made no difference.  A second computer is connected by WiFi.
I also watched the router's lights when I made a phone call in a few minutes ago.  At first all stayed green, then the Internet and Ethernet lights started flashing.  Then the Broadband light started flashing and the internet light went out.  After a minute or two, with the Ethernet and broadband light still flashing, the Internet light turned red.  After another minute or so it started flashing green, then eventually turned solid green.  As I type this, all four lights are green though the internet and ethernet ones still have short periods of flashing every few seconds.  I should add that it doesn't only go off when a phone call is made or received - the internet can inexplicably be lost at other times too.  When it's on though, speed is still a very decent 17.5Mbps.
Incidentally, I've just picked the router up (gently) and turned it upside down to read the serial number.  That was enough to ensure another loss of internet.  In fact, it seems to do that every time I turn it upside down.  It's back now......
DT
Ps Just looked at stats again - uptime is shown as 2 minutes 32 seconds, so that's clearly the time that has passed since the internet was last down.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Before getting a new router - do you have another cable from the router to the filter you can try as that may be faulty
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

And a new filter possibly.
Torper
Dabbler

I haven't been able to try another cable from the router to the filter as i don't have one long enough.  Both my current cable and filter are over 10 years old.  The cable, moreover, is in fact two lengths joined by a connector.  I have therefore ordered a new filter and a new good-quality ADSL cable long enough to extend directly from the router to the main socket.  Even if these do not solve my problem it's probably about time i got them anyway.
DT
Torper
Dabbler

Eventually a new modem router resolved the problem.  Smiley  Nice and stable (so far) and the wireless signal to the computer across the landing is stronger and faster.  I do appear however to have lost a couple of Mbps download speed, but I suspect I'll get these back when everything has settled down.  Just as well I didn't insist on a visit from the Openreach engineer.
Thanks to every one for help and advice.
DT
Torper
Dabbler

Seems I spoke too soon.  Initially I thought that the new router had resolved the problem, but it subsequently became apparent that it hadn't and we've continue to lose our internet every time we've received or made a phone call.  Plusnet had initially said that the results of their line tests suggested that it was either my equipment or internal wiring that was causing the problem, but it now seems that an external fault has been detected which it is hoped can be resolved without an engineers visit.  Mind you, that was a week ago and the problem persists.  It seems therefore that it may not have been necessary for me to have have bought the new modem and filters.
DT
P.S.  Since posting the above I've been informed by Openreach that their engineer is in fact going to call tomorrow afternoon.
runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

HI Torper
Initially you said :
However, at about the same time (so I cannot really think it coincidence) my broadband connection began dropping every time we made or received a phone call.  It would however reboot and reconnect within a minute of two, even if the phonecall was still ongoing.  Connection has also dropped from time to time even without any phone call.  Plusnet say that they have identified faults on the line but these may be my equipment (modem, filters, etc, though they hasn't changed for years) and they've given me the usual warnings about the possible cost of getting an engineer out.

Maybe this might help :
Some time ago I had a similar issue to that you have described . I also was using the TG852n on an ADSL 2 connection, but with a long line [ 6km] from home to the exchange.
(BTW- I do not think the TG852n is ten years old - more like 4 or 5 )  ADSL would loose sync every time the phone rang.
It was eventually fixed.
This is what happened ;
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,134876.msg1182624.html#msg1182624
Torper
Dabbler

Many thanks for that.  I think I'll print it out and, depending on how things go tomorrow, may show it to the engineer.  I wouldn't mind a small drop in speed if it means the current problem is resolved.
As for the modem, I 've been with F9 for umpteen years (since Worksop days!) but upgraded to broadband in 2005, when i received the ADSL starter pack including modem.  In view of what you say I must obviously have been supplied with a replacement Technicolor model since then.
DT
pvmb
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Torper
Incidentally, I've just picked the router up (gently) and turned it upside down to read the serial number.  That was enough to ensure another loss of internet.  In fact, it seems to do that every time I turn it upside down.  It's back now......

Excuse me for butting in.
But the above comment jumped out as being significant. If this is still repeatedly the case then I would conclude a likely fault is somewhere in either the router itself or very likely the cabling to and from the router. Or plugs and sockets on the router or elsewhere. Have you tried gently jiggling the cables (power, ethernet, ADSL) where they enter the router and also at their other ends, to see if this causes the problem?
Also, don't forget the BT socket you are using and the filter sockets and lead.
Please ignore if unhelpful.
Torper
Dabbler

Well, the OR engineer has just been out.  Before coming he'd carried out a line check and had found a rectified loop, which PN had also found.  However, when he arrived here and carried out his tests, the rectified loop had disappeared and he found no faults at all either on the line or with the equipment. 
However, it may be that gpsmout in post #21 above is onto something.  The engineer was somewhat handicapped in that he'd been told he was coming to a phone fault, not a broadband one, but he kindly carried out some tests on his JDSU unit which indicated a sync speed of just over 21Mb, which he thought a bit too high for the set-up here, while the SNR download was 3.4Db.  He felt that this combination could well lead to an unstable line and suggested that PN ask BT to reduce the sync speed a bit and hard-set the SNR at something like 6Db.  I've got a fault question open with PN so I shall be contacting them accordingly.
And pvmb, thanks for your suggestions.  Initially I thought just as you did and eventually bought and fitted a new router, filter and cable. Unfortunately, none of these improved the situation to any marked degree.
DT
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

The engineer was correctly coming for a phone fault. When there is a problem with the line it's classed as a phone fault, and until the line fault is fixed it will also mess up the broadband. Plusnet should have made that clear.
Rectified Loop faults are usually associated with bad connections and where there is damp in a connection somewhere and will give intermittent loop type faults. Did the engineer inspect and/or replace your NTE5a master socket?
If the faults was not present when he arrived it's most likely intermittent, they can sometimes be difficult to find.
Looking at some of those stats you posted before, the HEC errors were rather high - have you tried a new filter? I recommend you powering off the modem/router and wait about a minute before unplugging it from the line.
I would recommend two things - first change the filter for a new one. Before you reconnect a modem/router, use a corded phone ideally, plug it into the filter and see if you can hear any crackling or other weird noises on the line. Do the Quiet Line Test 17070 option 2 and whilst doing so wiggle the connectors about gently as previously suggested to see if that causes a problem.
Then reconnect the TG582n as it has good stats reporting (I don't know what your new modem/router is so can't comment on that). And as soon as you are connected post up the new stats. See how it goes over the next few hours and post some more stats later and/or tomorrow.
If you heard any noise on the Quiet Line Test, get back to Plusnet and report a line problem still continuing, Intermittent Noise heard with just the phone connected. If you didn't hear any noise, repeat the Quiet Line Test at random (no need to/don't unplug the modem/router) whenever, to keep checking periodically.
HTH.