cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL2+ - do I need a new router?

Torper
Dabbler

ADSL2+ - do I need a new router?

I have the Plusnet Technicolor TG582n router and for years it has given me good service while I was getting ADSL speeds of about 7Mbps.  Recently, however, my local exchange was upgraded to ADSL2+ and Plusnet duly enabled my connection to take advantage of that.  This led to an increase in download speed to about 18Mbps.  However, at about the same time (so I cannot really think it coincidence) my broadband connection began dropping every time we made or received a phone call.  It would however reboot and reconnect within a minute of two, even if the phonecall was still ongoing.  Connection has also dropped from time to time even without any phone call.  Plusnet say that they have identified faults on the line but these may be my equipment (modem, filters, etc, though they hasn't changed for years) and they've given me the usual warnings about the possible cost of getting an engineer out.  They may well be correct - I tried a friend's BT Hub router, and with it the connection appeared to remain solid even when there was a phone call. 
Research via google has led me to believe that it may be that the Technicolor modem, while fine for 7Mbps, may be having trouble coping with much higher speed I'm now getting.  Is that likely? If so, upgrading to a better modem would be considerably cheaper than having an engineer tell me that the fault is with my equipment.  Advice would be much appreciated.
25 REPLIES 25
cedlor
Grafter

Re: ADSL2+ - do I need a new router?

What firmware is on your router it may well need upgrading if you have had it a while.
Filters can break down or become less efficient as they age and maybe a new one is required, but check the firmware first.
Torper
Dabbler

Firmware is 10.2.2.B.  I'm afraid that I've no idea how to upgrade it if an upgrade is necessary.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Quick question - when you changed router did you keep the same cables and filters
Note that the router should be OK for ADSL2+ so I wonder if it is just getting old
There is one thing to check - what are the full stats (noise margin, speed and attenuation)
Just for clarification - having read your post again - do you mean reboot or resync. If reboot then I would suggest that a new router is in order although I have no idea why a phone call would cause a reboot
cedlor
Grafter

That is the latest firmware.  Sad
How long ago were you upgraded to adsl2+  it might take some time 10 days or so for it to settle down and the system to balance the speed with the stability.
Can you get the current stats off the router  there may be some leeway for manual intervention. May reduce the speed slightly but if the stability is better it
is usually worth the trade off.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

There's probably some minor problem with your filters, wiring or the line (or maybe the router). It was not noticeable when you were on ADSL1 because the upstream speed would have been capped, and the downstream was presumably easily getting the full speed with plenty of room to spare. Now you're on ADSL2+, the downstream is much faster and presumably the upstream is also now uncapped and much faster.
Torper
Dabbler

Quote from: Oldjim
Quick question - when you changed router did you keep the same cables and filters
Note that the router should be OK for ADSL2+ so I wonder if it is just getting old
There is one thing to check - what are the full stats (noise margin, speed and attenuation)
Just for clarification - having read your post again - do you mean reboot or resync. If reboot then I would suggest that a new router is in order although I have no idea why a phone call would cause a reboot

I haven't changed router since I got broadband, and that was several years ago.  I haven't changed cables or filters since then though I have added a TP Link powerline starter kit - it's not WiFi and is connected by a cable to one of the routers ports.
The roiuter is getting old - I must have had it for about 10 years.
I'm afraid that I don't know how to check these stats.
Nor do i really know the difference between reboot and resync - what happens is that I lose the internet connection, the red light comes on on the router, and a few minutes later it starts flashing and then changes to green and I'm online again.
DT
Oldjim
Resting Legend

That is a resync as if it was a reboot the power light on the left would change to red
Stats you can see here http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/technicolor-582n-faqs.shtml#lineStats
cedlor
Grafter

I think OLDJIM was asking if when you used your friends BT Hub router did you use YOUR  cables connectors and filters.
If so that would suggest that they are ok.
stats  try this link
http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/dsl/dt/?be=0&l0=2&l1=0
Torper
Dabbler

Thanks for the clarification.
DSL stats are:
Uptime: 0 days, 2:25:09
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1.231 / 21.359
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 278,49 / 5,22
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,1 / 19,0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 11,3 / 23,0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6,8 / 2,9
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / BDCM
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 156 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 18 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 3.560 / 62
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 688 / 1.230
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 9.256 / 45.686
DT
cedlor
Grafter

Ok - so what was the answer - your cables etc or your friends?
Perhaps post another set of stats later today so building up a picture. Is your router in  a not too warm well ventillated area. Does it get very hot to touch.
EDIT
Also have you tried it without the Power line set up  and with the router plugged directly into the test socket using a filter ((if your master socket has one.)

Torper
Dabbler

OK here's another set of stats:
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 2:54:41
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1.223 / 21.559
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 419,85 / 12,38
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,0 / 18,9
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 11,2 / 23,0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 7,0 / 3,0
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / BDCM
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 191 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 22 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 4.279 / 62
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 8 / 87
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 9 / 350
I plugged my friend's modem in just as I do my own - ie, they were all my own cables and filters except, of course, the integrated power and telephone cables coming out of the modem itself.  The telephone cable went into my filter which in turn went into my telephone socket.
I'm afraid that i don't know what you mean by the power line set up. 
Thanks for all this help.  I have incidentally ordered two new filters to see if they make any difference.
DT
Oldjim
Resting Legend

does that mean that you changed the cable from the modem to the filter
Note that with a 3dB margin it will be more sensitive to external noise
cedlor
Grafter

I'm afraid that i don't know what you mean by the power line set up

Earlier Post 
I have added a TP Link powerline starter kit - it's not WiFi and is connected by a cable to one of the routers ports.

Stats
I see the router looks again like it has only been working for 2 hours 54mins?  Was that because you switched it off or was it one of its drops?
pwdixon
Dabbler

They (BT I guess)  appear to have also updated my line and I'm getting lots of dropouts too.  Plusnet say I have a CTL failure which I think is a line problem too.