Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL2+ connection but no increase in speeds

DavidJ
Rising Star

ADSL2+ connection but no increase in speeds

Hi
I'm fortunate to have a clean line not far from my exchange and I've been getting a reliable 8128kbps sync for ages. Speedtest.net shows a download rate of 6.8Mbps and upload of 0.9Mbps and I've been very happy with this.
Checking my modem's settings the other day (it's a Netgear DM111P which supports ADSL2+), I noticed that the DSL mode was set to 'ADSL'. I changed this to 'AUTO' and rebooted. Hey presto - it synced with the exchange at 18232kbps in ADSL2+ mode! And after a little while my 'Current line speed' shown in my Connection Settings on the Plusnet website increased to 16mb (a FAQ on the website says this is my IP Profile).
However, when I do a speed test using speedtest.net there is no change at all to my download and upload speeds. My PC is connected by ethernet cable to a home network that is all gigabit ethernet so there's no bottleneck there.
A couple of posts in this forum imply that some sort of ADSL2+ upgrade needs to take place in my Plusnet account (Unlimited Broadband) to enable ADSL2+ speeds. Is this correct? I've raised a ticket but the reply stated that there was nothing on Plusnet's systems that would be restricting my speeds.
There must be something preventing higher speeds as my sync speed has more than doubled.
Any suggestions gratefully received.
David
7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: ADSL2+ connection but no increase in speeds

The easy one first - your upload will need uncapping I assume that your upload sync speed is something like 443kbps
The less easy one - download speed - try a disconnect/connect via the user interface as it is possible that the change in Plusnet's profile didn't trigger a drop in PPP session as it should
DavidJ
Rising Star

Thanks for the reply Jim.
My upload sync speed is 1127kbps and it was around this speed even when my modem's DSL mode was still set to ADSL. So am I right in thinking that nothing needs to be done regarding upload speeds - is it as fast as it's going to get even with ADSL2+?
When you say disconnet/reconnect I assume you don't mean a complete modem reboot but the option to disconnect/reconnect in the modem's settings? There's a bit of me that's hates the idea of rebooting the modem in case it resyncs at something much slower (I had this happen a couple of times in the past).
I'll pop home at lunch and try what you said and post an update.
Thanks again for the help, Jim.
David
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I am not referring to the modem but the router
Disconnecting the PPP session is not rebooting the router
Which router do you have
DavidJ
Rising Star

I have a Netgear DM111P broadband modem connected to an ASUS RT-N16 modem.
I assume you mean using the option in the DM111P's interface to disconnect/reconnect?
David
Oldjim
Resting Legend

That is correct
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Has their been any improvement since your disconnection?
DavidJ
Rising Star

Download speed now a tad over 15Mbps! The sun is shinning, it's Friday afternoon and all is well in the land of broadband - I'm a happy bunny!
Just as a matter of interest, what are the fastest upload and download speeds you're likely to get with ADSL2+?
Thanks for your help Jim - all relatively painless in the end!
David