cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL2+ What does this mean for Plus net customers...

mzivtins

ADSL2+ What does this mean for Plus net customers...

Just reading some tech speak on ADSL2+
Given that the work has already been started to upgrade the the stuff before the DSLAMS etc, what does this mean for plus.net account holders?
lets say my street... PE6 8QR... gets the upgrade done all the way to the DSLAM, obv i would need a fully ADSL2+ compliant router/modem, but with my existing acocunt with plus.net (up to 8mb) doe sit mean with the right gear i can expect to recieve the full 8mb per sec? or will plus.net begin to release ADSL2+ packages?
Things are looking quite promising with stats like these:

(feet away from exchange/DSLAM)
    * 25 Mbit/s at 1,000 feet (~300 m)
    * 24 Mbit/s at 2,000 feet (~600 m)
    * 23 Mbit/s at 3,000 feet (~900 m)
    * 22 Mbit/s at 4,000 feet (~1.2 km)
    * 21 Mbit/s at 5,000 feet (~1.5 km or ~.95 miles)
    * 19 Mbit/s at 6,000 feet (~1.8 km or ~1.14 miles)
    * 16 Mbit/s at 7,000 feet (~2.1 km or ~1.33 miles)
    * 1.5 Mbit/s at 15,000 feet (4.5 km or ~2.8 miles)
    * 800 kbit/s at 17,000 feet (~5.2 km or ~3.2 miles)
Shocked if it does get like that and i get 19-21mbsec... my usage allowance is gonna get raped! hahaha!
12 REPLIES 12
geewizz
Grafter

Re: ADSL2+ What does this mean for Plus net customers...

Your answers are here :
http://community.plus.net/blog/2008/04/28/plusnets-plans-for-200809/
which includes this bit :
When BT IPStream Max first launched we rushed headlong into upgrading as many customers as we could to ‘up to 8Mbps’ speeds. The resulting service problems caused some big backlogs in our CSC and we ended up with some unhappy customers. So this time we’re going to take things a little slower! In the coming weeks we will announce our plans to trial higher speeds in selected areas of the country. The trials will be opt-in only and we will announce them on our Community site and email customers in the areas where the trial will be available. We’ll need to do a considerable amount of work to build and test our new products.
godsell4
Rising Star

I am asking this over on the Broadband Help fourm here.
Indeed, ADSL2+ only affects the connection between the DSLAM and your router, so no reason other than marketing not to enable ADSL2+ with an limit of 8Mb until the ISP connects you to WBC.
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Most modern routers support ADSL2+  though sometimes you need a firmware upgrade (especially for Annex M which gives UPLOAD speeds up to 2.5mbps).
The easiest way to "guesstimate" your speed is to obtain your DOWNSTREAM line attenuation from your current router and plug it in here: http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.htm
This will also tell you what speed you "should" be getting on ADSL Max - you may get a surprise!  Cheesy
godsell4
Rising Star

mzivtins and I are already on MaxDSL, I think we are wondering the same thing but the OP can correct me ... when the exchange is upgraded to WBC/21CN does the connections automagically become ADSL2+ when that happens, it may still sync at a maximum of 8Mb but at leats it will be fully rate adaptive rather than this MaxDSL fiasco we have now. Of course we would not get 24Mb until the ISP changes you over to WBC.
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
James
Grafter

Yeah, we'd definitely have to do some dev work to allow the enhanced speeds, but I'm not sure what work would be required from a Networks perspective.
mzivtins

Quote from: Jameseh
Yeah, we'd definitely have to do some dev work to allow the enhanced speeds, but I'm not sure what work would be required from a Networks perspective.

i would have thought nothing really... from a networking perspective the DSLAMS to the backbone is still at 100gbaseX (100gbit/sec) thats not changing... its just really from the DSLAM through any secondary multiplexers and then into the houses where the change in speed will be.
i guess the only changes will be system account changes, but then it should all run fine regardless of speed changes as the current state of affiars means no two account holders really get the same speeds.
I think PLus.net pro customers will have the best deal... as with traffic prioritisation will really help when the contention ratios get pushed due to a 3x higher speed for the same backbone speeds...
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: godsell4
when the exchange is upgraded to WBC/21CN does the connections automagically become ADSL2+ when that happens,

Personally I'd have thought that very unlikely.
The speed is down to the DSLAM you connect to which presumably doesn't have to be changed immediately.
I know the converse applies (sort of) as my local exchange (like many others) doesn't even have a date for 21CN but there's LLU kit in there supplying ADSL2+ connected initially back through BT's network.
godsell4
Rising Star

Quote from: Jameseh
Yeah, we'd definitely have to do some dev work to allow the enhanced speeds ...

I am not asking for enhanced speeds, I am happy to have ADSL2+ enabled on the DSLAM and have it limited to 8Mb/s Down and 448kb/s Up ... I just want the better rate adaption on my long line, if the rate adaption really worked, I would have thought PN and BTW would like that as I bet you and they have many man-hours of effort spent on 'speed issue' which are down to the MaxDSL logic. Sad So it is a saving for you and them to spend time on real issues ... wow you could both get better customer satisfaction maybe!
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
James
Grafter

Yep, fully understand that Smiley
We'll just have to see if the profiling actually is better!
HPsauce
Pro

Well from my (short) experience of about 3 weeks the ADSL2+ profiling works a whole lot better in many respects (the down side for many seems to be breaks for resyncs). BUT I'm not on BT's implementation so who knows what it will be like......  Crazy
ctech500
Grafter

Quote from: mzivtins

Things are looking quite promising with stats like these:

(feet away from exchange/DSLAM)
    * 25 Mbit/s at 1,000 feet (~300 m)
    * 24 Mbit/s at 2,000 feet (~600 m)
    * 23 Mbit/s at 3,000 feet (~900 m)
    * 22 Mbit/s at 4,000 feet (~1.2 km)
    * 21 Mbit/s at 5,000 feet (~1.5 km or ~.95 miles)
    * 19 Mbit/s at 6,000 feet (~1.8 km or ~1.14 miles)
    * 16 Mbit/s at 7,000 feet (~2.1 km or ~1.33 miles)
    * 1.5 Mbit/s at 15,000 feet (4.5 km or ~2.8 miles)
    * 800 kbit/s at 17,000 feet (~5.2 km or ~3.2 miles)
Shocked if it does get like that and i get 19-21mbsec... my usage allowance is gonna get raped! hahaha!

Where did you get your stats from?
kreynolds
Grafter

And what will happen to LLU customers who are already on a ADSL2+ enabled line?Huh
Down Up
SNR (dB): 19.9 14.0
Attn(dB): 31.0 12.1
Pwr(dBm): 1.0 12.4
Max(Kbps): 15672 692
Any possibility LVSKEM being included in the trails????Huh