cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL2+ Upgrade Netgear DG834N - Rubbish result - have to change router

cmarks

ADSL2+ Upgrade Netgear DG834N - Rubbish result - have to change router

Wow - what a disaster.  I recently upgraded my PlusNet package which I was not aware involved a change to my line to 21CN (ADSL2+) . Fortunately my Netgear DG834N is ADSL2+ compatible and listed on the Plusnet site as compatible with the ADSL2+ service.
My new line goes live and my internet connections go down - intermittent faults and redials constantly.  Although the router shows good speed connections  there are loads of faults and reboots.
Bottom line is Plusnet now tell me that my router is not compatible and they are insisting that I have to have a Thomson router which I do not want as I have spent a long time learning how to setup my Netgear how I need it.  It also offers certain range advantages when used with their wireless devices on PCs.
This is a major pain the the bottom and I do not understand why a new platform is live with almost no compatible equipment for connecting to it.
I cannot even downgrade back to the old service which I would be willing to do just to not have to change my whole network setup.
What would you do?
Charles.
11 REPLIES 11
dusty_bin
Grafter

Re: ADSL2+ Upgrade Netgear DG834N - Rubbish result - have to change router

I use a DG834 v4 with no problem, so I would be surprised that the DG834N is really incompatible.  Are you using the latest firmware?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

The issue is with one of the two chipsets used in the Netgears, I believe they use either a conexant or broadcom chipset. One of these will work after a firmware upgrade, the other unfortunately won't, which is why you were offered a new Thomson router rather than advised on upgrading etc.
The list on the site does state the following:
*Please note:
The only routers that we guarantee will work are the ones we supply. We have many reported incidents where the 3rd party routers have not worked even with the latest firmware upgrade and recommend anyone having difficulties with their router to use Plusnet supplied hardware.

That being the case it may well be worth trying a firmware update on the Netgear in the hope that it improves things, alternatively we could send you a Thomson to test with and see if it makes any difference?
Danplusnet
Grafter

Matt
Does that apply to all Netgear DG834 routers with a conexant chip or just the DG834N version. I have a DG834G V5 which I believe has the conexant chip. If so is this not suitable for the Plusnet network?
Vip3r
Grafter

Hi cmarks,
What version of the DG834N do you have?
There are two, the v1 has no button, the v2 has a button on the front (http://kb.netgear.com/app/products/family/a_id/1290)
I am using the v1 with DGTeam firmware (V1.02.13 - DGTeam Rev. 0850) - this is NOT from Netgear, and I have no problems with it on Plusnet ADSL2+
IchabodCrane

Quote from: Danplusnet
Matt
Does that apply to all Netgear DG834 routers with a conexant chip or just the DG834N version. I have a DG834G V5 which I believe has the conexant chip. If so is this not suitable for the Plusnet network?

I'm using a DG834v3(4.01.40), which is confirmed as 21cn compatible by Netgear, and by Plusnet. Yet even still, PN had advised these routers are causing them problems - which includes me!
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi IchabodCrane,
We've not put our finger on why certain routers seem to be compatible and others not and I will have to quote from our library article once again
*Please note:
The only routers that we guarantee will work are the ones we supply. We have many reported incidents where the 3rd party routers have not worked even with the latest firmware upgrade and recommend anyone having difficulties with their router to use Plusnet supplied hardware.

I know it sounds a bit repetitive but if you were to have a router from us then not only do we guarantee it will work but we also fully support any issues you may have with it.
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Danplusnet,
I'd love to be able to confirm this for you but we've had such conflicting reports that some will work for some but not for others. So, previously to adding that note we said this or that router was compatible and then started getting calls saying they didn't work, so at the end of the day we just have to concede that the best advice we can give is to use ours.
Sorry I couldn't be more definitive.
Jojo Smiley
IchabodCrane

Quote from: Joanne
Hi IchabodCrane,
We've not put our finger on why certain routers seem to be compatible and others not and I will have to quote from our library article once again
*Please note:

I know it sounds a bit repetitive but if you were to have a router from us then not only do we guarantee it will work but we also fully support any issues you may have with it.
Jojo Smiley

Thanks for the reply, and apologies for crashing the thread
Presumably acquiring the same router that PN supplies, but not actually from PN, will still warrant the same support/guarantee from PN?
I guess the real problem is know whether it actually IS the Netgear router that is the stumbling block in the problem scenario, or something else. I'd be happy to buy another router, but only knowing the Netgear is a no no.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi IchabodCrane,
The support we can give is mostly based on our knowledge, so we will support it for troubleshooting/configuration etc. and most of us will help with netgear/D-Link/Belkin etc. as much as we can. Although troubleshooting 3rd party routers is beyond our remit we will always try to help as much as we can.
As for any warranty or guarantee this would only be applicable for plusnet supplied routers.
Jojo Smiley
maximod
Grafter

The dg834g v1/v2/v3 use the ti ar7 chipset.
The dg834g v4 and the dg834gt use the broadcom chipset,this is the one you want.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I'm using a DG834Gv5
Firmware Version V1.6.01.34
It's the Conexant variety - so I can't use DMT on it. Sad
I had a noise margin problem (caused by power cuts) - when I asked for a noise margin reduction, the person with the script gave me some rubbish about using the Thomson routers (which are rubbish BTW).
I insisted - and eventually got my own way.
I'm on 21CN by the way, although I've never managed to achieve ADSL2+ speeds with this particular router.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."