Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL2+ Speed

Wuz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

ADSL2+ Speed

Dear all,
The local rag has said my exchange will be upgraded next spring. Its not on the exchange checker yet but I googled and found a BT press release confirming it.
I get just under 2mb speed at present which is OK if there is only me but not so hot if my wife or son goes on line. Not complaining as originally had 1mb until wiring in the street was repaired. Before joining Metronet Broadband it was 5kb on a good day with the dialup!
So what speed am I likely to get? The nearest green box is a fair distance away and is now empty! My line goes overhead to a pole by the road and then underground to a manhole in the road which runs along under the road with manholes but no Green boxes that I can see except the empty one about 1 km away!
Will I have to do anything other than request an upgrade nearer the time?
Wuz
Already getting excited about streaming video as well as radio!

3 REPLIES 3
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: ADSL2+ Speed

Assuming you aren't talking about Fibre but just going to ADSL2+ the answer is that you will probably see little or no change in your speeds
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Cor blimey Jim, what a killjoy. I assume Wuz you mean you are on plain vanilla ADSL and you are hoping your exchange will be upgraded to ADSL2+ ? If so, the good news is you may get a marginal uplift in profile because of the way 21CN profiling works and you won't have the dreaded 3-5 days wait for a profile uplift if you have a low sync event, but the bad news is Jim could be right about actual speed. Still I have seen some surprisingly improved speeds on moves to ADSL2+, so you may hold out a little hope but I wouldn't get excited about the possibility of streaming HD video. If on the other hand the hoped for upgrade is FTTC, you'll have to wait until BT have decided where the cabs will be, and whether your line runs passed one.
Wuz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Oldjim and Anotherone,
I won't hold my breath then. Will wait and see and just hope for the best!
Thanks for your input.
Wuz