cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL2+ Rejected by BT?

greshamt

ADSL2+ Rejected by BT?

Hello, I contacted Plusnet support a couple of weeks ago re speed issues and at my request was told ADSL2+ could be ordered from BT for my line.
The BT checker says "Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 3Mbps" so as I understand it, it should be available.
Speeds have improved since but definitely no ADSL2+, today have spoken to another support person who told me the request had been "Rejected" but he was unable to give a reason for this.
I have now read this post: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,97728.0.html with regard to automated requests for ADSL2+ being rejected by BT.
So my question is, was my request an automated one and is this why it failed? If so could somebody be kind enough to place a manual order on the line for me?
Thanks very much in advance.
Basil Brooks  Smiley
15 REPLIES 15
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: ADSL2+ Rejected by BT?

It does seem to have been an automated order which was cancelled by our suppliers with a claim that the order "requires a MAC key" we know it doesn't so that must have been done in error.
I've submitted a manual order with reference 1-10711084666 which should complete within 7 days.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
greshamt

Adam
Potentially good news then, thanks very much for investigating and the quick turnaround on that.
All the Best
Basil Brooks  Smiley
greshamt

For others who may be interested, I'll post an update on here once it goes through.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

No problem,
I've set my self a reminder to keep checking your account so I'll update this thread when I see a confirmation come through.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
greshamt

Adam
Even better, saves me connecting to the router to check.
Thanks a lot
Basil  Wink
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

This is just a quick update to say that I've checked the order I placed yesterday and it's progressing fine for completion on the 8th.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
greshamt

Adam
Thanks again, I'll check around then.
Smiley
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

No problem.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
greshamt

So the requested upgrade to ADSL2 went thru yesterday as scheduled.
My router (BT Home Hub 2) now shows the following:
Connection information
Line state Connected
Connection time 0 days, 10:45:13
Downstream 1,998 Kbps
Upstream 440 Kbps
ADSL settings
VPI/VCI 0/38
Type PPPoA
Modulation ITU-T G.992.3
Latency type Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up) 15.8 dB / 12.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up) 55.5 dB / 33.7 dB
Output power (Down/Up) 0.0 dBm / 12.9 dBm
The modulation type is now ITU-T G.992.3 as opposed to ITU-T G.992.1 previously
This indicates ADSL2 but not ADSL2+ according to this page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G.992.3

Am a bit concerned by the Output power (Down) showing 0.0dBm, does this indicate a fault? anybody got any thoughts on that?  Huh
Here is what I had before the upgrade:
Connection information
Line state Connected
Connection time 0 days, 0:05:21
Downstream 2,176 Kbps
Upstream 448 Kbps
ADSL settings
VPI/VCI 0/38
Type PPPoA
Modulation ITU-T G.992.1
Latency type Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up) 14.8 dB / 17.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up) 58.0 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up) 18.1 dBm / 12.1 dBm
As far as download speed goes I was getting about 1.3Mbps and am now getting 1.7Mbps so not as much increase as I had hoped for. This may improve over time during the "bedding in  period" will have to see. Otherwise I guess that's the best I'm going to to get on copper and will have to look at FTTC for any further gains.
Thanks as always for your help and any further input.
Basil Brooks  Smiley
greshamt

Just found this page which seems to give good info on line stats
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats_explanation.htm
This suggests my output power for ADSL2+ should be around 18bBm, so don't know what's going on there?  Huh
x47c
Grafter

I've seen the output power downstream reported as zero on several routers on ADSl2+, so clearly its a common bug/feature whatever in the router software and not a line fault.
The actual figure will be around 19dB for a longish line
Short lines have the power cut back as they don't need it and it reduces cable cross talk(line to line interference in the same cable bundle)
Your line is too long to benefit from full ADSL2+ and experience has shown that putting such lines on 2+ regardless seems to result in a WORSE connection.
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Not an answer as such but reported downstream output power figures of 0.0 were touched on in a recent thread:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,102222.0.html
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

The figure of 0.0 is because the DSLAM in the exchange doesn't give out the figures, it's nothing to worry about and it isn't a fault.
kankali
Grafter

I just switched to ADSL2 and my HH2 also reports 0 output power. However if you look in the HH2 Event Log it does report it there at the time of syncing.