cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL2+ Line provisioning issues and comparison with Tiscali.

mot
Grafter

ADSL2+ Line provisioning issues and comparison with Tiscali.

My line was switched from a completely LLU'd tiscali line to PN yesterday.
I presumed there'd be a drop in sync and I'd have to change my username and password in my router as we were connected to tiscali's equipment in the exchange, but nothing!
So I've gone from ADSL with tiscali (syncing at 6.5mbps) to ADSL2+ with PN and have achieved no extra speed, why is this?
I have fairly favorable line stat's and was hoping to achieve around 15mbps sync..
I'm using a DG834GT which is ADSL2+ compatible.
The other thing is, tiscali had set my SNR margin high due to line errors in the past, it's exactly the same with PN now - somewhere around the 12DB area. Can this be decreased please!
I'm struggling to get my head around why when out ADSL line was swtiched peg in the exchange, I noticed nothing!
Today, I've simple swapped my user details in my router from my tiscali ones (which were still working, data throughput, the lot) to my PN ones and that was it!
11 REPLIES 11
matt_2k34
Grafter

Re: ADSL2+

That is rather strange
could you do a speedtest on http://speedtester.bt.com - this will ensure that your using BT equipment and not Tiscalis LLU Still
With regard to the speed increase...(baring in mind this is guesswork as you havent posted your line stats)
[guess work]
altho you were on an ADSL product with tiscali, it is possible for their equipment to go to the full 20/24mbit stylee- it is possible to then put a cap of say 8mbit...
I know some other ISPs do this - so that altho you pay for ADSL, your on ADSL2 - your just not getting any extra speed.
[/guess work]
Please post line stats (would be much appreciated)
Today, I've simple swapped my user details in my router from my tiscali ones (which were still working, data throughput, the lot) to my PN ones and that was it!

im suprised, when i swapped from LLU back to BT, i had about half an hour downtime.. im intrigued to see line stats + results of the speedtester Smiley
itsme
Grafter

To go from LLU to ADSL2+ require jumper changes in the exchange and the line (lost of sync) will be down between a few seconds to a couple of minutes.
mot
Grafter

We had literally no down time.=S
On my way back to work I called technical just to question someone less arrogant than the last guy I spoke to (he insisted that my line could only support 6mbps...)
He noticed that the line had only been provisioned as 20CN, duhhh! I have no idea why, but at least my question is answered..still confused to the lack of down time!
The other strange thing is, now that my phone line is with PN, I can ring my house phone and the phone doesn't ring..at all!
I can actually place a call on my house phone whilst I'm ringing it from my mobile, there's a dial tone and normal behaviour in that sense, just that it doesn't ring.
Before it's suggested, it's most definitely not the handset and the helpful guy I spoke to just is getting phone faults onto it.
If I call my mobile from my house, it displays my usual CLI..
These are my second and third faults since ordering plusnet (only went live yesterday) not a great sign of things to come really is it Sad
I'll grab a screenshot of my line stat's in a sec and post them up Smiley
mot
Grafter

itsme
Grafter

I be interested to see if you do see an improvement in sync speed when you are on ADSL2+. From the fact that yo are syncing at 6.5mbps I would say that you will not see much improvement. The rational being that you are probably losing the higher frequencies down to attenuation and with ADSL2+  extending the higher frequency range will be no benefit.
Who were you previous phone provider? If you had you phone with a LLU provider and had it moved to PN, which mean that it had to be put back on to the BT network, the system  will have 2 routes with the same telephone number. So if the job is not closed down properly then the routing of incoming calls will still be going to the LLU provider and not to the BT equipment. This scenerio is very unlikey as normally LLU companies will not allow other ISP to supply BB on LLU phone lines.
mot
Grafter

I can quite easily get my line to sync at 8mbps by adjusting my SNR margin to around 6db which it is very stable at Smiley
I've worked it out that I'll roughly get 15mbps on ADSL2+...am I completely wrong?
I'm hoping for a line card change too if I'm honest as we recently got switched due to a tiscali fault and since, our figures have been worse than before and if the line does drop, it doesn't resync.
That scenario sounds very likely, you're obviously way more knowledgeable that me but that honestly does sound like it's going to be the case.
It's strange as so much preparation has been put into the switch by PN and BT, they've even been around my house to prove pairs and so on..
itsme
Grafter

I read the OP as being moved from PN Tiscali LLU to ADSL2+ as PN have been doing this. But I now believe that the OP has just moved from a fully LLU (phone and BB) to PN. If this is the case it seem to suggest because of no disconnect was observed that the routing of the telephone calls is on BT but the jumpering is on Tiscali.
This can be verified by dialling 17070, the message would be This circuit is defined as(then telephone number) BT line test, If on BT and just the phone number if on Tiscali.
mot
Grafter

I'll double check when I get home later, I do remember trying 17070 a matter of weeks ago and it plain didn't work with tiscali!
You're correct that I have gone from Tiscali LLU to plusnet.
I'm a little worried that I'll have no service from tomorrow as my tiscali account expires.
mot
Grafter

It seems that we're still on the Tiscali circuit, I get "this circuit is defined as *my number*" and the phone goes dead.
Just out of curiosity, how come Tiscali don't have line test facilities on there?
mot
Grafter

At the moment, I can switch freely between Tiscali and PN - some interesting speed tests! (no resync between tests!)
Not only are my pings with Tiscali nearly half, browsing is MUCH snappier and just take a look at those download figures..I was hoping to be majorly impressed by my PN ping at the least Sad

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: ADSL2+ Line provisioning issues and comparison with Tiscali.

Don't forget that PN used to (and probably still have some left) provision customers over Tiscali LLU in certain situations, though they have been migrating away.
So the Tiscali systems are probably set up to authenticate PN logons as well, that's why you can switch between them.