Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL2+ Line Upgrade

zuchov1
Hooked

ADSL2+ Line Upgrade

I did a line speed test on the BT Wholesale website and got the following
Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 8Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 7Mbps and 8Mbps.
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 17Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 10Mbps and 19.5Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 1.5Mbps and downstream line speed of 17Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 10Mbps and 19.5Mbps.

From Samknows RFS date is 31/5/12.

So any chance of a push to an upgrade?
Thanks!!
14 REPLIES 14
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: ADSL2+ Line Upgrade

Hi zuchov1,
So any chance of a push to an upgrade?

Sure, we'll pick this up on Monday for you unless a staff member pops in over the course of the weekend...
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
The order has now been placed for you, it's due to complete a week today on the 28th Smiley
Hope that helps.
linux
Grafter

Out of curiosity I ran the ADSL Availability Checker and got this:
Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 1Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1Mbps and 3.5Mbps.
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 2.5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1.5Mbps and 4Mbps.

That estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed is too pessimistic; I'm actually getting 7616 kbps downstream.
But what of ADSL2+ broadband line speeds? According to SamKnows, 21CN WBC has been enabled on my exchange, so is it worth me trying it?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I'd say yes, but post the ADSL Line stats from your modem/router, that will give us a better idea.
linux
Grafter

OK, is this what you wanted:
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 7616 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 40.5 db 26.0 db
Noise Margin 6.0 db 23 db

Anotherone
Champion

Looks good, hopefully would sync at about 9Mbps or so if you keep the Upstream capped. They can always lock you to ADSL1 on 21CN if you have any instability problems, at least you won't have the profile issues of 20CN!
linux
Grafter

It's worth doing if only to lose the IP profile!
Excuse my ignorance but what does capped upstream mean?
Anotherone
Champion

On 21CN, you can have the Upstream uncapped to give you a faster upload speed, this can be at slight expense of download speed as more bandwidth is allocated to the upstream. So unless you really need a faster upload speed, I'd try it leaving the Upstream capped. You can always have it uncapped later if you want. Some users have reported instability with uncapped upstream, so I'd try without that first, see how the line behaves, then uncap if you want it and if it performs poorly you can always go back to capped.
HTH.
linux
Grafter

OK, thanks for that explanation. Yes, for me stability is more important than upload speed, so a capped upstream would make sense.
So, could some kind Plusnet person please arrange for me to get an upgrade to ADSL2+.
x47c
Grafter

A sync of 7616 is interesting as concidentially it is the max sync that old routers can do when interleaved.
So I wonder if at the moment the sync is limited by the line conditions - or by the router/modem unit
I hope the  router is compatible with ADSL2+.................
linux
Grafter

Yes, I was aware that the 7616 kbps speed was determined by interleaving. I've never had a compelling reason to have interleaving turned off.
My router does indeed support ADSL2+ although I have never had the opportunity to test it.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi linux,
The order's been placed for you, it'll complete on the 30th Smiley
zuchov1
Hooked

x47c
Grafter

Post on the end of this thread
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,101517.272.html
Its a common problem - I had it as have the 18 pages of other posters on it.
The line has been upgraded but Plusnet need to give their side of the system a kick to align their IP setting with the BT one.
That said they may wish to wait a day plus before they do it to let the new sync speeds stablise.
often 21CN/BT's system doesn't seem to send though the correct data to Plusnet  even after the line is fully operational - it's a long running saga so I won't bore you.......
As for the Plusnet IP seting to be aligned