cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL2+ - Line Retrain question

Keymer
Dabbler

ADSL2+ - Line Retrain question

My connection was regraded to ADSL2+ yesterday. Looking at my router stats I can see that it is now connecting at at around 15000kbps but my actual download speed is now less than before the regrade at around 3400 kb/s. I spoke to Plusnet support yesterday and the guy said that he needed to update the speed of my connection at Plusnet's end. I later got an email to say this had been done and that I should reboot the router and I should then see the speed improve. So I did this and as the speed stayed the same I phoned the Helpdesk back later and another guy said that the speed will vary for 72 hours while the line retrains.
Can someone confirm that that's right - the 1st helpdesk person didn't mention it and I've not seen other posts on this forum which mention retraining after switching to ADSL2+. Even if retraining is happening, I'm surprised that the download speed isn't fluctuating at a much higher rate than I'm experiencing. Perhaps I'm too impatient.
Any thoughts gratefully received......

13 REPLIES 13
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: ADSL2+ - Line Retrain question

Both are right, sort of!. Your connection speed may well vary during the training period ( which is 10 days BTW ). There are 2 settings which affect your download speed, one the BT IP Profile which follows changes in your connection speed ( and PlusNet have nocontrol over this ) and two, your PlusNet profile which is meant to track the BT profile within 24 hrs.
You can find your BT profile by performing a speedtest at http://www.speedtester.bt.com/ and your PlusNet profile (Current Line Speed) here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed   ( login required )
If your PlusNet profile doesnt agree with the BT one ( within 24hrs ) then give support a call and they should be able to update it manually. The BT one should be about 88% of your connection speed but this is controlled by BT automatic systems and is much more difficult to get corrected if its wrong.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

<pedant mode on>
88.2%
<pedant mode off>
Grin
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@Jim
But shouldn't that more correctly be
<pedant mode>
</pedant mode>
Smiley

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Grin I'm glad there is still humour here  Tongue
Keymer
Dabbler

I'm now into day 8 of retraining and the position is:
Sync speed: 15300 kbps
Plusnet line speed: 14.1 Mb
Todays BT speedtester result:
Download  Speed  1.34 Mbps
  0 Mbps 21 Mbps Max Achievable Speed
Download speed achieved during the test was - 1.34 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 13.36 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.
Upload Speed  0.73 Mbps
  0 Mbps 0.83 Mbps Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.73Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps
The BT speedtester than suggested that I shoud do a 'Tap 3' Test - 'In order to complete this test, you will need to temporarily change your broadband login username within your modem/router connection settings.' I've not done this as I don't want the router to disconnect during the retain period.
Since my line was regraded to ADSL2+ 8 days ago, my download speed has stayed around 3500 kbps.
Based on this info, does it look like my connection has a problem, and what can be done about it?
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

At this stage it might be useful to see some line stats from your router (SNR Margin and Errors in particular), can you post a couple of sets of error figures and indicate the time between the two (just a possibility that very high error rates are killing your download throughput).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Something is definitely wrong with the speed test result
Is the result wired or wireless
If wireless can you try wired.
Rather than mess about with the BT speedtest can you report the results from these
http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/
http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/
http://www.speedtest.net/
Keymer
Dabbler

Thanks Oldjim and walker23.
The connection is wired.
The stats from my Netgear router seem to be limited, but I've attached 2 sets from just 5 minutes apart which I hope are helpful. The line disconnected within the last hour. I've just found another Router log which indicates that there 5 disconnections yesterday (I wan't aware of this as the pc wasn't in use)
I've done a couple of speedtests which were:
Broadbandmax: Download Speed: 1328 kbps (166 KB/sec ) Upload Speed: 770 kbps (96.3 KB/sec )
My Broadband Speed  1550 kbps  download 781 kbps upload
Oldjim
Resting Legend

This will need staff help as I suspect that there is a profile mismatch either within the Plusnet systems or, more likely, within the BT systems
Keymer
Dabbler

Ok. I phoned the Helpdesk. The guy identified a high number of disconnections over the last couple of days and has now turned interleaving on for my line. He said that I need to wait for at least 24 hours to see if that has any effect. I don't see why this will improve my download speed, but I'll wait and see......
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

That does not account for your poor download speed nor is it going to fix it. More script led rhubarb.
Keymer
Dabbler

Hmm. That's what I tended to think Anotherone, but with my very limited knowledge I couldn't readily challenge what the Helpdesk was telling me.
My router log indicates another 2 or 3 disconnections today. Speed pretty much unchanged.
Could someone at Plusnet have a look at this please. The Helpdesk dismissed Oldjim's suggestion (9 June) when I spoke to them - could this be causing my problem?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Keymer,
you started to raise a fault on Saturday but never finished answering the questions. If you go back and answer the remaining questions, we'll be able to investigate it further. I've just run some tests and there's no mismatched profile, so something else is afoot.
Jojo Smiley