cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL2+ Download Speed Collapsed

SheltonCoolio

ADSL2+ Download Speed Collapsed

The download speed on our Plusnet broadband connection has dropped dramatically, from a consistent 15-18Mbps to around 200kbps.  So it has gone from being very satisfactory to hardly usable.  Two things that seem quite odd:

1.  The upload speed seems unaffected.  We can still sometimes achieve over 1Mbps.
2.  The neighbouring property, which shares a cable (approx. 700m) from the main BT line on the nearest road, still has the consistent 15-18Mpbs.

Unfortunately, I can’t say exactly when the problem started, as the place was unoccupied for a while due to a combination of the pandemic and building work.  But I do know that it has been like this for at least a couple of weeks.

This is an ADSL2+ line.  BT’s broadband availability checker shows an expected downstream range of 7.5-17.5 Mbps.

We have the white 2704n modem.  On the xDSL statistics page it shows:

Current rates: 288kbps / 446 kbps (downstream / upstream)
Attainable rates: 11564kbps / 1099kbps

SNR margins: 42.1 / 26.6
Attenuation: 26.5 / 14.1
Output power: 15.8 / 12.1

(The neighbouring property, which is currently at around 17Mbps download, has SNR margins of 3.1 / 6.4.)
If it would help, I can post a screenshot of the whole statistics page and can obviously let you know the ‘phone number if you can tell me how to do that privately.

Any advice or suggestions as to anything I might try would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ….
2 REPLIES 2
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: ADSL2+ Download Speed Collapsed

Welcome to the forums @SheltonCoolio . Even with the few stats you have posted there,  I can tell you that there is a problem. If you have a land line phone can you please perform a Quiet Line Test - dial 17070 and select option 2 - apart from the 'Quiet Line Test' announcement, you should hear absolutely nothing - ANY other noise - report a PHONE fault, which will most likely solve the BB one.

John
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: ADSL2+ Download Speed Collapsed

Thanks for your post @SheltonCoolio and welcome to our Community Forums.

I'm really sorry to see you're experiencing speed issues.

If you can drop me a private message with your account username, I'll be happy to take a look into this for you. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet