Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL2 - Acceptable Speed?

chrisab

ADSL2 - Acceptable Speed?

Hi All,
Summary:
Expecting 7Mbps (Plusnet's estimate, getting 4.1Mbps), Have checked as much as I can. Thoughts?
Detailed:
I would like to know if the speeds I'm getting are reasonable. I am a new customer to Plusnet, and Plusnet estimated that download speed would be 7Mbps +/-1Mbps. As attached below, is ADSL Checker from BT Wholesale, https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html. I am connect to the New Southgate exchange and BT estimates that the speed should be up to 10Mbps with a range of 8.5 - 12Mbps. Currently I am obtaining a download speed of 4.1Mbps as shown below using http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/. I have run this at different times of the day and the value appears to be about the same. Unfortunately, I do not have a  NTE5 master socket and hence do not have a test socket. I have my router, 582n, connected with an extension with microfilter in place since day 1. Removing the extension and connecting it directly to the master socket, decreases the Attenuation by 0.5-1dB but ultimately makes no difference to the speed.There are no problems with the phone line and I have tested different routers and microfilters, still obtaining a consistent 4.1Mbps. Here are my stats below:
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.3
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 444 / 4,703
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [GB/GB]: 1.35 / 1.13
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.9 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 17.4 / 32.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 27.9 / 4.1
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 17 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 2 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 370 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 537,010
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 3
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 13
I have also filed a fault with Plusnet and received this response.
BRAS Profile(CVLAN Rate): 4435
Loop Loss: 17.1 31.5
SNR Margin: 29.5 4.8
Errored Seconds: 0 0
HEC Errors: 0
Cell Count: 2385 8639
Speed: 444 4449
Maximum Stable Rate (KBPS): 4000 Fault Threshold Rate (KBPS): 3200
Mean Time Between Retrains (Seconds): 86400 Mean Time Between Errors Upstream (Seconds): 12343
Indicative Line Quality: A Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds): 87
"Thank you for getting back to us. I have been testing your line today and I can see you are getting 4000kbps which is about the norm foe this line. You fault threshold set by our supplier is 3200kbps and as you are above this figure we are unable to raise a fault. If you need further please get in touch."
And finally, here a Bits/Tone graph, see below. Not sure if this helps at all?
I hope this is enough information. Thanks for reading and any response is appreciated.
9 REPLIES 9
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: ADSL2 - Acceptable Speed?

Definitely lower than it should be for your attenuation at 32.5, http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php shows 7mbit or 13mbit on a 21CN enabled exchange.
I had the same problem but didn't know it. I used to only get 2mbit until BT fixed my phone line which had a very intermittent noise fault.  After that I now get 4.5-4.8mbit.  So would suspect a old phone line that is past its prime.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

If you don't have a master socket:
Connect your router to the socket nearest the point of entry of your phone line.  Unplug all other telephone equipment (including the Sky box) and retest.  If that gives no improvement and it is possible, disconnect your extension wiring and retest.  What you are looking for is a change in the router sync rate; that is the only parameter that will change immediately.
If both these measures fail then you have a bad line for broadband.  Because you have always had a bad line it will be difficult for Plusnet to persuade BT to do anything about it (as their response indicates). 
picbits
Rising Star

Personally I'd find someone to either fit me a NTE5 socket or bribe an engineer in a big white van with the offer of cash / tea / biscuits or whatever it would take to pop a faceplate on to a backbox you've already mounted on the wall ......
Obiviously it's illegal in the eyes of BT to fit your own master socket and the chances of messing up connecting the two wires to the NTE5 are incredibly high Wink
Old telephone wiring can be an absolute nightmare and being able to isolate it as close to where it comes in through the house can dramatically improve your speed.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Opening up each socket and disconnecting the bell wire should help if it hasn't already been done.
chrisab

@ReedRichards
I have already tried that and it has made no difference. Plusnet have phoned again and admitted that their previous support guy was mistaken. They are now sending a BT engineer to look at the line. Thanks for your response.
@picbits
Due to the illegality surrounding this, I do not feel comfortable doing this. But thanks.
@ejs
I was looking at this option, but did not feel comfortable doing it in case I cut the wrong wire by accident. Hopefully, the BT engineer, they're sending could do this. Cheers
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi chrisab,
Let us know how the engineer visit goes.
Chris
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: chrisab
@ejs
I was looking at this option, but did not feel comfortable doing it in case I cut the wrong wire by accident. Hopefully, the BT engineer, they're sending could do this. Cheers

You shouldn't be "cutting" any wires. You should remove them from the IDC terminals by gently pulling them up vertically from the terminal. The only terminals connected should be terminals 2 & 5 using the wires coloured Blue+white trace & White+blue trace at the NTE5a and all extension sockets. Are these the colour wires on terminals 2 & 5 at all your sockets (as shown on the kitz page) or do you have any different colours?
IDC stands for Insulation Displacement Connector, the wires are not stripped, they are pushed into the terminal using an IDC or Krone tool. Never be tempted to use a srewdriver in the jaws of the terminal to push wires in place as this could open the jaws and provide an unreliable connection.
chrisab

@chrispurvey
The engineer installed a new socket, this has solved the problem. The sync speed has risen from 4.7mbps to 8.8mbps. Can you please raise the plusnet profile speed to reflect this, as my current speed is still below 4.1mbps. Also, please can you uncap my upload speeds? Thanks.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi @chrisab,
Not much point in updating hte profile yet as despite the lift in sync speed the BT profile is still at 4.7mb, however I've submitted an SNR reset which should hopefully resolve that shortly.
Re the upstream I've raised order 1-15045967177 to uncap that tomorrow.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team