Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL wireless router

MatrixRob
Grafter

ADSL wireless router

Hi Rob,
Mind leaving the answer next time as part of the Community ethos is for customers to self-help or help each other.
No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it.
Albert Einstein
69 REPLIES 69
MatrixRob
Grafter

Re: ADSL wireless router

ok, the question was regarding using a BT home Hub on plusnet.
Below is the forum link I found to set it up.
https://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?topic=135840.0
I have collated this info as below:
Want to use a BT hub 2, 3, 4 or 5 on your Plusnet ADSL connection?
Remember the first rule in computing is backup, backup and backup before doing any system resets or changes.
NOTE: All previous setting will be lost after performing this step.
If you are using a second hand hub, it is highly recommended that you factory reset your hub.
Hub Factory Default reset procedure:
Whilst the Home Hub is still on, there is a little hole on the rear of the hub, insert the end of a paperclip into this hole and keep it firmly pushed in for at least 15 seconds until the hub fascia light changes colour and reboots. The hub should then restart wiping any data and settings from the hub to factory defaults.
For ADSL Connections ONLY:
Once your hub has booted up and your PC is connected via the ethernet port (use a yellow port on the back of the hub but not the red), a flashing 'B' light will be visable on the lower front grey fascia in either red/purple or orange (depending on version of hub you have).
1. Once connected, open a web browser and either type 192.168.1.254 or click on the link http://bthomehub.home/  (Either of these will direct you to the hub's configuration pages)
2. Along the top tabs, select the 'Settings' tab.
You will then be prompted for a password, or creating a new password if you reset the hub.
Enter your password.
To create a new password, enter your default admin password (found on removable card at the rear or underneath hub.)
3. Firstly Change "Enable Smart Setup" to No following the path below:
>Advanced Settings >Home Network >Smart Setup> NO
Then change the Username and Password specific to your account settings:
>Advanced Settings >Broadband >Internet>
4. Click on <Enter your Broadband username and password> Which is the last option on the list.
5. You will then see spaces to enter your username and password.

These will be your member centre username:
E.G. Plusnetxxxx was your member centre login,
you'll enter plusnetxxxx@plusdsl.net as the username on the BT Hub.

NOTE: Your password will be the one you use to log into the member centre.
The cursor seems to jump around whilst doing this, so be sure to check it is correct before proceeding any further.
Any other personal preferences can be done using the interface tabs. Wireless etc..
Good luck!
Albert Einstein
MatrixRob
Grafter

Please note:
I have not tried this yet but, if succesful over the weekend, I shall report back and perhaps make this a sticky on the forum.? (mods)
Albert Einstein
chandu
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Thanks, MatrixRob, for going through the set-up procedure for BT Homehub/s to help us all out.
I understand that BT Homehubs are very, very good wireless routers.
May I please ask, which one of the homehubs (2, 3, 4, or 5) has a very strong Wireless signal and stays stable with the connection?  Do you know?
Your answer will help in deciding which one to go for.
Many regards and good luck with your trial over the weekend.
Chandu.
MatrixRob
Grafter

I have the HH5 which by all acounts has very good reviews, not sure about the others.
802.11 b/g/n 2.4 GHz and 802.11ac 5GHz are stronger than my TG582n router anyway.
Albert Einstein
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I'm not sure why we need another sticky, the thread you linked is already a sticky.
There is also this older thread worth a read, but the stickied one contains more up-to-date information.
A note of caution though with resets and configuration, do it all (or as much of it as the HH - come to that any modem/router - will allow) Off-line. Reboots, resets etc all cause loss of sync. Too many and DLM may regard them as a dropping connections and apply banding, interleaving etc to the connection. Whilst on ADSL, if you make a complete pig's ear of your connection, an SNR Reset is fairly easily obtained. That is certainly not so on Fibre where you pay the price of having to wait for DLM to undo anything it does (if indeed it's going to).
MatrixRob
Grafter

Thanks Anotherone, I was thinking more inline of the current forum structure when suggesting a sticky.
If someone has an ADSL set-up then surely there should be a sticky in the ADSL section as well as the Fibre section  Wink
<hint> oh wait I have a burning question regarding fibre connection, oh it's in the ADSL section  Huh
Albert Einstein
Anotherone
Champion

I had suggested to the Mods a "sticky link" on the ADSL board to that thread. However they chose not to Roll_eyes
Anotherone
Champion

When you are trying to enter your plusnet username pay attention to my post here
MatrixRob
Grafter

Hi Anotherone,
Yes I made sure that the username and password were correct prior to connecting.
Thing is, my user account name does not end in plusdsl.net but I am a plusnet customer.
Giving this HH5 back to person and sticking with the TG582n for now until my speed is sorted.
Albert Einstein
Anotherone
Champion

Can I ask what it ends with? It shouldn't make any difference if it's valid - however I seem to recall something about the HH not recognising some "realms" (the bit after the @).
MatrixRob
Grafter

Have just PM'd you  Wink
Albert Einstein
Anotherone
Champion

All noted Smiley
MatrixRob
Grafter

Well, after a wee bit of investigation and tinkering I have now managed to use the HH5 in conjuction with my TG582n as an access point with Gigabit ethernet and 802.11n/ 802.11ac connectivity.
Wow! what a difference to my wireless and ethernet network.
Have left the wifi off on the TG582n for now and that router will remain on constantly so I can switch off the HH5 wifi/ network at night.
One big bonus I thought of security wise is, now my networks has a double firewall.
Below is the link I found to enable this:
http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/networks/8046/how-to-use-the-bt-home-hub-5-with-another-isp
Downside is, the HH5 light stays orange instead of blue and tries to connect by default when switched back on but, I can change the settings to stop that after boot up.
Albert Einstein
chandu
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

@ MatrixRob,  I have read your step-by-step procedure for setting up HH5 for Plus Net use on ADSL.  A Great Idea.
I have now purchased a brand new HH5 via eBay and I have a few questions and I hope you are able to clarify my query.
1. Can I set it up off line with my lap top as I was able to do with Netgear DGND3300 dual band?, 
2. Do I need to key in Bt supplied password to access the configuration page?
3. Is it possible to set up MY SSID and Pass Key for wireless (so I do not need to reconfigure password my other wi-fi devices) ?
I will appreciate your feedback on the above.
Thanks.
Chandu.