Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL - upload speed - capping

bdog
Hooked

ADSL - upload speed - capping

Hi,

I have an ADSL connection that gives me a reasonable 7Mbps download but upload is only 448Kbps. My router is saying there's an attainable speed of 1144Kbps on the upload side. I've seen a previous post that suggests that there may be a cap in place at the exchange. How would I get this checked/changed?

I have tried to get this checked via the online chat but didn't get very far. The person I chatted with me suggested that caps were only applied to fibre connections.

22 REPLIES 22
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: ADSL - upload speed - capping

The person I chatted with me suggested that caps were only applied to fibre connections.

They were talking rubbish! Plusnet seem to cap the upload on ADSL to 448 by default. They will uncap it for free if you ask. You could either try chat again and hope you get a more knowledgeable agent or maybe one of the help team may spot this and sort it.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bdog
Hooked

Thanks, I think I managed to convince them and they said they had made the change having talked to the faults team. They implied that the change would be immediate and I just needed to restart my router. Having restarted my router I don't see a change. How patient should I be?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Upload uncapping isn't immediate. It needs an order to be processed by BTw which ( I believe ) takes up to 24 hours. Also it's unlikely to happen at the w/e so I would imagine it won't happen till maybe Tuesday...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bdog
Hooked

Thanks, I'll wait until Tuesday before escalating.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The free upload uncapping is assuming you're on a WBC (21CN, ADSL2+) exchange, 20CN exchanges that have only ADSL1 available give 448k upstream unless you pay extra for Max Premium.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I did think about that @ejs but would the router show an attainable upload of 1144 on a 20cn connection ?

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

No, because it's not a multiple of 32. So it must be ADSL2/2+, where uncapping is free, and there's no good reason why it should have been capped in the first place.

Edit: obviously the multiple of 32 rule didn't work

bdog
Hooked

It's this exchange - http://www.telephone-exchange.co.uk/Ide-Hill-NDIHI.html. Yes to ADSL Max, no to 21CN WBC. 

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

To be certain can you post what you get from http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome please.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
bdog
Hooked

Capture.PNG

These speeds seem rather low considering I actually get 6-7 Mbps downstream. Does this clarify the situation?

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

So basically as your exchange is 20CN only you are stuck at 448kb/s upstream unless you pay a chunk extra to get about 832kb/s

bdog
Hooked

Thanks all for your useful comments. Where can I find out more information on the 21CN rollout? A quick google seems to turn up lots of older articles suggesting the rollout would have been completed by around 2014. I can't seem to find recent information.

Also, is the 21CN rollout completely independent of upgrading an exchange to be FTTC enabled? Intuitively, I'd expect these to be linked and, if anything, for the 21CN infrastructure to be a pre-requisite for FTTC.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

With only 363 residential premises and 18 non-residential premises chances are very slim

Your best bet would be http://www.kent.gov.uk/leisure-and-community/broadband

although putting in the exchange post code indicates that it should be fibre enabled but Samknows indicates that it isn't

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

A lot of small 20CN exchanges will never be upgraded to 21CN but this does not prevent you getting FTTC or FTTP, the fibre misses out the local exchange and goes back to a larger exchange which has the 21CN network. So depending on the exchange 21CN and FTTC upgrade are not always linked. Also your exchange already has one FTTC cabinet active and two more planned for June 2017.