cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL upload cap

rosspichler
Hooked

ADSL upload cap

Hi, I've been with Plusnet for a couple of years and my average adsl download speed is about 11mbps down and only 0.75 up. It never gets over this upload speed. I want to check if I have adsl, adsl2 or adsl2+ and if there might be an upload cap on my connection. Can someone help please? I really need the upload speed to be better than 0.75mb.

Ross

12 REPLIES 12
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 274

Re: ADSL upload cap

@rosspichler Which Hub have you got? The max upload on ADSL (whichever flavour) is 1Mb/s, but you need to be next to the exchange to get that.

John
rosspichler
Hooked

Hi @jab1 I have a Hub Zero.

jab1
Legend

@rosspichler OK. Sorry, I don't know much about that Hub (Hub0), but it is quite old. If you need greater upload, the only way to get it is via FTTC (Fibre To The Cabinet) or FTTP (Fibre To The Premises)/Full Fibre - if it is available to you.

Can you post a screen shot of the result of this link -obscuring your phone number)? BT Broadband 

John
rosspichler
Hooked

rosspichler
Hooked

It says 'Exchange NORTH SHIELDS is served by Cabinet 7'

jab1
Legend

Looking at that Availability Checker, you are stuck with what you've got - FTTC is only in the 'planned' stage

John
rosspichler
Hooked

Thanks but you seem to have missed the original question which didn't mention anything about fibre. I am already fully aware fibre isn't available at my house, I was just wondering if there was a cap on the upload speed, which is something I read about on old forums. And I also read that 1.5mbps is the max some people could get with adsl. 

Ross

jab1
Legend

Sorry Ross. I thought I had explained this - you would have to be literally next door to the exchange to get 1.5Mb/s - or even 1, and looking at that screenshot, although you are close(ish), you are a distance away.

John
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@rosspichler  You are on ADSL2+ and probably on a fairly long line with interleaving enabled to reduce errors. The maximum upstream sync rate on an interleaved connection is around 0.86Mbps so allowing for overheads your actual upload throughput looks to be the best you can get. 

Upload speed of 1.5Mbps is only possible on Annex M which is different type of ADSL2+ not supplied by Plusnet and it only works on short lines.

rosspichler
Hooked

Cheers

rosspichler
Hooked

This is good advice. I appreciate it.

Ross

pvmb
Pro
Fixes: 3

@jab1 wrote:

Sorry Ross. I thought I had explained this - you would have to be literally next door to the exchange to get 1.5Mb/s - or even 1, and looking at that screenshot, although you are close(ish), you are a distance away.

I live about 1km from the exchange. I still have on my PC an old DSLstats v5.9 snapshot of my then ADSL 2+ line in good working order at the time. I quote:

Up speed: 1245kbps
Up SNRM 6.1dB

22 May 2017

In other words, a good working ADSL 2+ line remote from the exchange could indeed support over "1 Mbps upload", in 2017.

That was then, this is now. (I have since moved to FTTC) IMO, the issue for the OP is: "Is this an actual fault or is this due to the ongoing degrading ADSL environment?"  The latter being the issue which eventually triggered my switch to FTTC.