ADSL super slow, 2704n showing EdgeOS, Phone line has no dial-tone

FIXED
lorraine3
Hooked

ADSL super slow, 2704n showing EdgeOS, Phone line has no dial-tone

Hi,

I have a whole load of issues...

(1) My phone line is dead - no dial tone, no ringing for incoming calls

(2) My Internet connection is super slow. When I investigated... I found...

- my router's IP address was 110.110.1.1 (my laptop was given a similar DHCP address, so was my Youview box etc). Normally I get an IP of 192.168.1.x and the router is normally 192.168.1.254 

- when I logged on to this router address, I was shown an EdgeMax logon page (a console for EdgeOS) which seems to have something to do with a company called "Ubiquiti". I had to accept that the certificate was out of date. I did not enter any router logon details. I looked really suspicious!! 

- My public IP address was one registered to Virgin Media (82.31.23.181), not Plusnet 

- My speed is now 0.87Mbps, whereas its usually about 14Mbps.

Before anyone suggests I could be connected to someone elses wifi - I was not. I actually used a cable just to be sure, and as mentioned, even my wired Youview box got this different style DHCP address (the 110.110.1.104)

I have reset my 2704n twice now using the hardware reset at the back (with a pin)

Has my router been hacked? What has happened to my phone line? Its all very very odd. I've never had anything like it. 

I've done the Plusnet line test and its failed. It says I have to phone the 0800 number tomorrow. 

Any pointers much appreciated. 

Lol. 

18 REPLIES 18
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: ADSL super slow, 2704n showing EdgeOS, Phone line has no dial-tone

Moderators Note

This topic has been released from the spam filter

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

If you have no dial tone then the phone fault needs rectifying first - give them a call from you mobile the 0800 is free.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @lorraine3 

Sorry to see that you are having issues with your services. 

Whilst testing your broadband connection we have found a fault on the phone service, which you have already raised to us and our suppliers are currently in the process of identifying the cause so a fix can be implemented.

This fault is the likely cause of the broadband issues you are experiencing, and must be resolved before we are able to investigate a broadband issue.

I have updated this ticket with further information on the timescale and processes regarding the fix. 

I hope this helps. 

Kind Regards, 

MoR

lorraine3
Hooked

Thanks. Yes, have phoned this morning and the line test was run again and failed.

Weird how I have no dial tone, but some very slow amount of internet.

My router now has its OS back. Its not giving me the EdgeOS prompt. Managed to get to the helpdesk data. I'm getting 0.5Mbps now when its normally 14Mbps. I do also have a Plusnet registered IP address instead of Virgin Media. 

1 - Product name: Plusnet Router
2 - Serial number: xxxxxxxxxxx
3 - Firmware version: 7.275.11_F2704N_Plusnet
4 - Board version: F@ST2704N
5 - Mode ADSL
6 - Uptime: 0 days 00:12:14
7 - Data rate: 147/574
8 - Maximum data rate: 132/1172
9 - Noise margin: 5.8/5.8
10 - Line attenuation: 57.8/66.0
12 - Data sent/received: 2.8M/26.9M
20 - Broadband username: xxxxxxxxx@plusdsl.net
21 - Wi-Fi network/SSID: PLUSNET-xxxxxxxxx
22 - Wi-Fi connections: Enable(802.11 b/g/n(up to 144 Mb/s))20 MHz WPS enabled
23 - Wi-Fi security: WPA2
24 - Wi-Fi channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
25 - Firewall: Default
26 - MAC Address:  
27 - Software variant Version 1.0
28 - Boot loader: 7.275.11

lorraine3
Hooked

Yes, thanks MoR

Will wait to see if BT OpenReach can fix by the 3rd which is due to New Year I guess.

Thanks for re-routing my calls to the mobile. Just checked its working. 

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@lorraine3

Telephones need two cables connected to the exchange to work, broadband can sometimes stagger along with only one. Your symptoms are typical of one of the wires becoming disconnected.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

lorraine3
Hooked

Spoke to soon. The router has just disconnected and I've restarted.

Now I'm back to the EdgeMax EdgeOS logon to view the router which normally gives the 2704n operating system. I've taken a screenshot (see attached).

Never seen this EdgeMax Ubiquiti stuff before.

And I have a virgin media public IP address again. My Laptop IP address is back to being 110.110.1.108 again through DHCP with the router being 110.110.1.1

Thought I'd share the screenshot anyway.

lorraine3
Hooked

Here is another screenshot.

My router is still showing the EdgeMax logon screen. This shot is of my speedtest. It shows the fact I have a Virgin Media registered IP address, and for some reason the speedtest site is using a Ukraine based server to perform the speedtest.

I wonder if my router is compromised also - Ukraine is normally targeted by the Russians. Is this some "back door" in the router?

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

This is weird! Do keep us informed of the resolution on this one, it's the most interesting problem I've seen for quite a while.

Do you happen to live in Stoke-on-Trent?

You appear to be connecting to someone else's router - I have no idea how that is happening if you are using a wired connection.

Are there any other devices wired into the router?

Do you still connect to the EdgeMax if you unplug the phone line? The only way I can think this could happen is if your router was connected to the EdgeMax somehow and is trying to route through it when it loses ADSL.

Edit: A thought - do you have a Windows PC/Laptop on your network? If so does it have "share network connection" enabled? My guess is that you have lost ADSL so there is no routing to the internet. Some device (not your router) has connected to a neighbour's WiFi, and is sharing the connection through your router.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

You’re not by any chance using Powerline units to transmit Ethernet data over the mains? It’s not unknown for these to pick up a neighbours Powerline connection through the use of default passwords 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

corringham
Seasoned Champion

@Baldrick1 - great thought, I hadn't considered that one. I'd put money on that as an explanation, and the VM user is probably 3 doors away (on the same phase). I have used power line adapters myself, and managed to get a good signal over 100m away through 3 consumer units - so I think your onto something there!

lorraine3
Hooked

Powerline is a possibility. I use a powerline from my router to a Youview box on the bedroom. 

I guess if my router is not working, I wonder if it picks up a powerline in another flat. Something I will definitely look into when I'm home. When I left the appt, I didnt have any internet. My router isnt working nor any other connection (should I be piggy backing off someone elses). I still would have expected my router to give me a DHCP address even if it didnt have an internet connection. 

Anyway, I like your thinking. 

As you could see from my helpdesk data post, when the router does have a connection, its very slow - about 0.5Mbps. Interesting the comment about getting ADSL down 1 wire of the twisted pair - I didnt know that. 

corringham
Seasoned Champion

If you have powerline adapters then that is almost certainly what is happening. You will have two DHCP servers on the network - your router and the neighbour's router. It just depends on which responds first as to which your devices get a lease from. The Ubiquiti is a more capable device, so probably gets in first (I mostly use Ubiquiti devices as they just work).

ADSL is pretty much radio frequency, so will work on a single wire (albeit at lower speed). Do be aware that such a fault may result in your phone appearing engaged - when this happened to my sister's line Plusnet assumed that because the line was engaged it was in use and therefore working correctly! 

lorraine3
Hooked

Yes, powerline adapters confused me. It seems I can get somoene elses virgin media broadband in the flats I'm in.

I've removed them. I will reconfigure when I get my broadband back to normal - and I'll get them to use a different ID (i.e. not default).

OpenReach engineer visited today. Confirmed it was corroded wiring outside and has fixed. 

Phone line is now working, but broadband is very slow. I think I now have to wait for it to "re-train"? Engineer talked about Plusnet to do profile reset, but they want to let it adapt its speed over the next 10 days. So even thought I know it can do 13-14Mbps, its down at 0.5Mbps still with these stats below. I guess I just have to wait for the downstream speed to increase and the SNR downstream to get down from 29db to 6db-ish. 

Your Plusnet adviser may ask you for the following information:
1 - Product name: Plusnet Router
3 - Firmware version: 7.275.11_F2704N_Plusnet
4 - Board version: F@ST2704N
5 - Mode ADSL
6 - Uptime: 0 days 00:02:04
7 - Data rate: 1215/572
8 - Maximum data rate: 1216/13188
9 - Noise margin: 6.4/29.0
10 - Line attenuation: 16.1/36.0
12 - Data sent/received: 417.6K/3.3M
21 - Wi-Fi network/SSID: PLUSNET-xxxxx
22 - Wi-Fi connections: Enable(802.11 b/g/n(up to 144 Mb/s))20 MHz WPS enabled
23 - Wi-Fi security: WPA2
24 - Wi-Fi channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
25 - Firewall: Default
27 - Software variant Version 1.0
28 - Boot loader: 7.275.11