cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL speed issues after house move

mig

ADSL speed issues after house move

Hi,
I recently moved home and had to downgrade my fibre package to ADSL due to lack of availability. So far I have a few problems with the speed of the ADSL and the story goes like:
- Originally the estimate given was 6-7mb
- Upon connection the line was operating at 0.1mbit for the first few days, which resolved itself to a fairly constant 3.6mbit
- The router initially had a sync speed of 5.1mbit, but due to the unstable connection has settled at about 4.1mbit, leading to the actual 3.6mbit speeds above
- I rang technical support to diagnose the issue and they saw that I was still recorded as being on the fibre package and there was a "blocker"? on the BT exchange which was capping the connection at 4mbit?
- The line was then reset and into it's "new" state again to try and resolve the block. This gave me the same poor 0.1mbit speeds again for the first two days, with a sync again of 5.1mbit
- The line has again settled down to a sync of 4.1mbit with constant speeds of 3.6mbit
I am trying to understand why I am not getting the estimated 6-7mbit and it seems like there are some issues on the line either being associated the wrong product with BT and presumably a very poor connection profile?
I wouldn't be surprised if BT think I am still on a fibre package and don't have the correct product and profile assigned?Huh
Whilst your customer service has been excellent so far in trying to resolve these issues it seems I am still plagued by this house move..... Your fibre package was excellent, giving me a solid 75/20mbit connection!  Cry
Cheers,
Michael
11 REPLIES 11
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: ADSL speed issues after house move

Hi Michael,
I'm sorry to hear that you're having problems with your connection at your new property 😕
I've taken a look at your connection and can see that your line is erroring. This means that there is something either internally or externally that could be causing the line to either drop or not perform as well as it should do thus the errors showing.
House Moves are difficult because we/you may not know what the quality of your internal wiring is, which could be causing the errors. In the first instance, would it be possible for you to connect your router directly into your <a href="http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/master-socket-guide.shtml#whatsTest">Test Socket</a> with an alternative <a href="http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/microfilters-how-and-why.shtml#why">Microfilter</a>?
I've attached your line stats for the benefit of yourself and other Forum members.
mig

Hi Chris,
I have moved into a flat and am pretty sure it is plugged into the master socket? Unfortunately the socket is built into the aerial and other connectors on one face plate so it doesn't seem like I have access to the test socket?
I can try a different micro filter but I am using one of the supplied. Should I see the sync speed increase after a few hours if there are no errors?
When I initially had problems I rang tech support and we tried another socket in the flat which they said with the line test made no noticeable difference?
The product is not still set as fibre with BT is it? I can only imagine the exchange is not playing ball  Undecided
Also, I restarted the router twice so far. The first time the internet was down completely and the second time the internet would not connect stating that authentication on the line had failed. This was for around 1-2 hours. Maybe this would explain the errors?
Cheers,
Michael
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Michael,
I think that, at the time you wanted to reconnect, the errors were that high on the lien that it wouldn't allow you to reconnect. Given your circumstances, I'd visit http://faults.plus.net so our Faults Team can investigate further.
There's not much you can, personally, do if you don't have a Test Socket and you've already tried an alternative microfilter. Our faults Team will be able to get this looked at for you though.
mig

Hi Chris,
Thanks for your help. I'll be back on to post an update once I have been through the faults website.
Cheers,
Michael
mig

I've filed a ticket on faults.plus.net and the first question was to listen to noise on the line. After doing this there was some mild noise in the background, so I reported yes to this. The ticket came back with trying to identify the master phone socket so I could use the test socket to identify if it is an internal wiring fault.
I have set-up similar to:
http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/cabling-faceplate-help/48062-i-cannot-identify-my-master-socket.html
Except I have not removed the face plates yet to find the master and I do not have any hidden sockets in cupboards etc. I have 3 phone sockets, 1 in each bedroom and 1 in the lounge. I have tried to plug into each socket and have found the lounge socket to the best so far, the other sockets seem to report in FEC errors in the millions after a short period of time (Is this important?) but what seems like a solid connection with a small speed drop.
I suppose I am asking whether I should get open reach out to have a look at this as per the reply to my question or should I be looking at something else first?
I've tried 3 different micro filters and no difference there
Do my line stats look any better? I'm finding it hard to believe that the line will have a solid 3.6mbit down but will won't sync any higher? Is the connection profile set up correctly? Can we not just try bumping it up? If there was loads of line errors then it would surely be unreliable when streaming youtube / iplayer etc?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It appears that your router is switched off so I'm unable to run any tests on it at the moment?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

When the router is in the lounge socket, do you have anything plugged in to the other sockets and if so is it filtered?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
mig

Jelv, there is nothing else in the other sockets when the router is in the lounge socket. What does filtered mean? If I plug the phone into the other sockets when the broadband is connected in the lounge then the ADSL will drop, i'm not sure if this helps?
The sockets are all standard phone sockets as per the other sky link and I have used a microfilter in each to connect the ADSL
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

That's fine. Just checking as you wouldn't have been the first (or last) to plug something in to another socket without a filter and then wonder why it gave loads of errors!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
mig

My current stats
Link Information
Uptime: 0 days, 0:12:57
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.3
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 444 / 4,142
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/MB]: 578.73 / 2.37
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 13.1 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 22.1 / 38.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 26.0 / 9.4
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 10 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 1,058,742
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 10
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 29
Chris, the router was on when I got in and had the broadband light connected so not sure why you couldn't see stats for the line?
How is it best to proceed?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'd raise a fault at http://faults.plus.net as we can see that there could an issue with your copper being degraded (possibly an old line).
We'll get this looked into.